Hiss with Archon (Solved - Mark II units require restart to switch to -10 on Out 2 Post )

I have just reproduced this behavior with FX8 and runt 20 in 4cm, the reboot method does indeed reduce the hiss.

Yes, same here... Which is awesome because I love the FX8 but was not at all thrilled with the hiss when using it with my Runt. Now it is silent or mostly. I now have the perfect amp/effects combination. Love it.

Last edited:
Another noob here, battling noise and hiss and hum..

my in is set to 12db, my out to 6db, nd my post level 4db, all of these are as it was when new, just got this wed.

are you saying changing your post level to -10 helped? that is the only one that will go in the minus....
what are your in and out at?

thank you!

Also, Ill take any other set up tips

running 4cm into evh 212 combo.
using pedal snake w trs ends connected to fx8 outs...(this did help but still alot of noise...)

That is interesting.. with the default settings on the FX8 and my 5153 50w head, it is damn near silent. I never had any noise from the FX8 until I plugged it into the Runt. If you are getting hum, that is different. Do you have the AMP and FX8 plugged into the same power outlet? I am not familiar with the pedal snake, but are you sure it is a humbuster and not simply a TRS. They aren't the same...

I have a loom that was created by Best-Tronics that has 2 humbuster cables for the outs and have no hum.

Yes, same here... Which is awesome because I love the FX8 but was not at all thrilled with he hiss when using it with my Runt. Now it is silent or mostly. I now have the perfect amp/effects combination. Love it.
Awesome! I just hope people haven't been returning this awesome device because of that!

Awesome! I just hope people haven't been returning this awesome device because of that!
That is interesting.. with the default settings on the FX8 and my 5153 50w head, it is damn near silent. I never had any noise from the FX8 until I plugged it into the Runt. If you are getting hum, that is different. Do you have the AMP and FX8 plugged into the same power outlet? I am not familiar with the pedal snake, but are you sure it is a humbuster and not simply a TRS. They aren't the same...

I have a loom that was created by Best-Tronics that has 2 humbuster cables for the outs and have no hum.

the runt has its own noise issues in a number of them released around .christmas time,mine included , it would appear that Dave Friedman has addressed this onTGP, and they are working on a fix. Supposedly.

the runt has its own noise issues in a number of them released around .christmas time,mine included , it would appear that Dave Friedman has addressed this onTGP, and they are working on a fix. Supposedly.

I don't have any noise issues, including the XLR out. Although, the only thing I have used it for is recording and a test with my powered ASM-12. I haven't gigged it... I think I ordered mine around Thanksgiving. I am sure Dave will do right by those with issues...

It is a great time to be a guitar player... We would need racks of gear to get the effects we have in the FX8.

Pedalsnake uses a loom of cables, with midi conectors at each end. You then use what they call pigtails for whatever you need. So, in this case, i have trs on the fx8 outs, but ts on amp end. I asked them specifically, about what fractal calls humbuster cables. And sent drawing. They claim using their trs on one end, and ts on other, its the same.

Pedalsnake uses a loom of cables, with midi conectors at each end. You then use what they call pigtails for whatever you need. So, in this case, i have trs on the fx8 outs, but ts on amp end. I asked them specifically, about what fractal calls humbuster cables. And sent drawing. They claim using their trs on one end, and ts on other, its the same.

I am not sure then... are you plugged into the same outlet and are you comfortable that the cables are humbusters? Maybe ask for a cable diagram and compare it?

They swear up and down their pigtails are end up exactly as intended for humbusting. I think maybe im expecting too much. It is better, but still there!! and its not with nothiing or just a cable or a pedal in the effects loop. But run 4cm, and bam... hum. I know the red channel on evh is noisy, I expect hiss, not hum. I can manage it w a gate. I get no hum on clean channel, a little on dirt channel, and more on lead channel. Perhaps I will try some new pre amp tubes.

The change to the pad does not require a reboot. I cannot explain how the reboot fixed the hiss.
Joe, can you test the change? A few of us confirmed that rebooting changed it to -10 on our units, but no reboot is needed to change it back to +4. Did you see the second video I posted?

I can confirm on my FX8 (original) that changes to and from -10 dBV and +4 dBu do not require a reboot. I made multiple changes between the settings and each one took effect after the usual pause. I rebooted and conducted the same test with the same results.

I don't have the knowledge to speculate as to why some users are needing to reboot in order for a particular change to take effect, I'm just sharing my results. Hopefully someone will be able to get this figured out for you.

I can confirm on my FX8 (original) that changes to and from -10 dBV and +4 dBu do not require a reboot. I made multiple changes between the settings and each one took effect after the usual pause. I rebooted and conducted the same test with the same results.

I don't have the knowledge to speculate as to why some users are needing to reboot in order for a particular change to take effect, I'm just sharing my results. Hopefully someone will be able to get this figured out for you.

I am running a Mark II with the latest firmware and have to reboot. Maybe just a Mark II change or defect...

Not a real issue, I am thrilled that Travis found this! I had a Mark I and love the FX8... it is an amazing product that gives us professional quality effects.

I bought my Mark II a month or so before the sale price and couldn't care less... I think it is worth way more than the asking price.

Back
Top Bottom