Hiss when using Effects Loop?

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
Today I have tried using the effects loop for the first time.
I want to use it to add some of my guitar pedals in chain. I did everything according to the manual: so pedal input to effect out 2 of the Axe fx and pedal output to input 2 of the Axe fx. Then adding the Fx Loop block in the chain before the amp and cab block. Then dialing in the desired output on the front output 2 knob of the Axe fx. Kept everything in the Fx loop block at default (so zero). But there is quite a lot of hiss when engaging the Fx loop. Is this normal or should I use different settings? The effect pedals I used are not noisy at all normally. All cables are ok.

Also tried using a higher main volume setting in the Fx loop block and then lowering the level in the Fx loop block. There is less hiss this way but the tone gets altered drastically. So that is no solution. Hope someone can help me with this.

Are the cables you are using balanced? If not, it's going to be hiss city. I need to get one more balanced cable so I can reamp via combo analog/USB as I'm now using both my balanced cables to run my B7k through the effects loop. I get some hiss, but it has a lot more to do with the pedal than anything, methinks.

You have to raise the boost/pad in global and input 2 and on the front of the axe output 2 full open and the hiss will be gone.

Are the cables you are using balanced? If not, it's going to be hiss city.

sorry for the noob question. But I use a normal jack TS cable. How do I know if my cable is balanced? Does it have to be TRS?
Do you mean a balanced jack cable or an XLR cable? the XLR balanced output is only for output 1.
Do both ends of the cable need to be balanced or only the end that goes in input 2 of the Axe fx?
And do I need two balanced cables or only one for input 2 (because output 2 says unbalanced)?

Thanks. Didn't see this topic. What is the output 2 mod that is mentioned there?

You have to raise the boost/pad in global and input 2 and on the front of the axe output 2 full open and the hiss will be gone.
Have to try this. What will be a 'normal' setting for input 2?

Last edited:
You raise input 2 till it hits the red light when you hit the strings hard, i have it full open

Merlin has got it right. I thought there was just a little bit of hiss associated with my microtubes b7k, but once I raised the output buffer everything was right as rain. Thanks and sorry for the misunderstanding.

Thanks everyone. Great help! will try all this today...

Huh? Hiss is not related to cables, and there's no point in using "balanced" cables with equipment that is not balanced. He may use humbuster cables, but that's for hum-problems.

But since input 2 of the Axe is balanced is it better to use a balanced/unbalanced; so TRS to input 2 and TS to output of the pedal? (I guess that is called humbuster??)
or is it just as good to use a TS/TS unbalanced 'normal' jack cable.
This is a bit confusing to me.

Hmm..tried raising the output 2 boost/pad to 12 db and the Input 2 level to 100%. The hiss is less now but there is still way too much hiss for my taste. When you bypass the Fx loop block you will here how much quieter it is without using Fx loop.
I was expecting the Effect loop of such a high quality device as the Axe fx to be much quieter. Didn't have this much hiss on other machines Effect loop. This is a bit disappointing and not very useable for me.

Get Output 2 "modded". It will then have a noise floor as low, or lower than Output 1. They will do it for free, but you may have to cover shipping.

Why does it have to get modded? Is a noisy effect loop a bug in the Axe? That's very strange on a machine of this quality.
Shouldn't we expect a silent effect loop from a machine this expensive?

Back
Top Bottom