His Dark Materials

Status
Not open for further replies.
The books are very good - the film was ok but I haven't watched the series.

off topic with regards to Lin-Manuel Miranda - I like to point out to my kids that Encanto is not actually that good mainly because there is no villain in it and the story line is pretty weak IMO :tearsofjoy:

The mother is the villain in that story. She is the one hiding the truth about what's happening to the house and she is the one forcing everyone to conform to her vision for the perfect family. I agree, the plot is weak. The music was not great either. I don't understand why it is so popular, but I've never been in touch with pop culture.

The mother is the villain in that story. She is the one hiding the truth about what's happening to the house and she is the one forcing everyone to conform to her vision for the perfect family. I agree, the plot is weak. The music was not great either. I don't understand why it is so popular, but I've never been in touch with pop culture.
The mother being the villain is why it is soo weak. I agree I'm not sure why it is soo popular and why 'We don't talk about Bruno' has been played more than say 'Let it Go'

The books are very good - the film was ok but I haven't watched the series.

off topic with regards to Lin-Manuel Miranda - I like to point out to my kids that Encanto is not actually that good mainly because there is no villain in it and the story line is pretty weak IMO :tearsofjoy:
I thought Encanto sucked. Weak, paper-thin plot and the music was lousy.

The books are good and worth the read.

The Golden Compass film was pretty good, pretty true to the book, and should have been continued. Alas, PC got the best of it.

En Canto was good. There's no villain in the film. It's about family relationships and tensions and roles. There's no 'bad guy'. It's a kids film that does a good job of exposing and discussing those relationships, tensions, and roles in a way kids can understand.

I loved the His Dark Materials books.

I was lucky enough to work on the paperback conversions of the hard covers books of The Golden Compass and The SubtleKnife. They were really well plotted though my favorite character was the polar bear.

Overly dramatic and dumbed down is how a lot of books are made into TV series or films... ultimately meaning there is no real depth to draw you in.
My son has said similar things about Japanese stories that he really likes, and then Hollywood has to get hold of it and say that they have to change it for American audiences. Why? It was a breath of fresh air and compelling as it was. Once you change a story for American audiences, as they say, they just copy crude crass crud that has already been done to death, and it becomes a copy of an American story with the Japanese characters. Sad.

The books are good and worth the read.

The Golden Compass film was pretty good, pretty true to the book, and should have been continued. Alas, PC got the best of it.

En Canto was good. There's no villain in the film. It's about family relationships and tensions and roles. There's no 'bad guy'. It's a kids film that does a good job of exposing and discussing those relationships, tensions, and roles in a way kids can understand.
RC got the best of it, not PC (RC=Religious Correctness) I was hoping for a second one also!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom