His Dark Materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Never read the books and it seems as though they could make for a good movie or series but cheese-and-fluffy-rice what an inconsistent and incomprehensible mess the HBO series is.

I mean if you like hours and hours of dialog like:
"I'm not strong enough."
"Yes, you are."
"No, I'm not."
"You have no idea how strong you really are."
Then it will be right up your alley.

Most of the dialog is endless strings of platitudes delivered with overly dramatic acting drawn out for seeming eternity.

Yet these same people that can't seem to utter even a simple sentence without invoking Master Thespian are completely devoid of emotion when they step through a portal into an alternate universe. "Hmm, we seem to be in an alternate universe. I wonder if they serve tea and crumpets here." I think most of us would be like "Holy Sh*t!!!! Is the air safe to breath? Are there Gorns or Ballchinians here? Did I put enough money in the parking meter?"

The only saving grace was that Lin Manuel-Miranda's character was finally killed off because he was, well, being Lin Manuel-Miranda who's the second most annoying actor behind Mollie Shannon.

Overly dramatic and dumbed down is how a lot of books are made into TV series or films... ultimately meaning there is no real depth to draw you in.

The Golden Compass movie was a good version of the book-as far as entertainment quality. I agree the show on HBO, was, not fun.............

Never read the books and it seems as though they could make for a good movie or series but cheese-and-fluffy-rice what an inconsistent and incomprehensible mess the HBO series is.

I mean if you like hours and hours of dialog like:
"I'm not strong enough."
"Yes, you are."
"No, I'm not."
"You have no idea how strong you really are."
Then it will be right up your alley.

Most of the dialog is endless strings of platitudes delivered with overly dramatic acting drawn out for seeming eternity.

Yet these same people that can't seem to utter even a simple sentence without invoking Master Thespian are completely devoid of emotion when they step through a portal into an alternate universe. "Hmm, we seem to be in an alternate universe. I wonder if they serve tea and crumpets here." I think most of us would be like "Holy Sh*t!!!! Is the air safe to breath? Are there Gorns or Ballchinians here? Did I put enough money in the parking meter?"

The only saving grace was that Lin Manuel-Miranda's character was finally killed off because he was, well, being Lin Manuel-Miranda who's the second most annoying actor behind Mollie Shannon.
I haven’t seen it, thanks for the review. Ya know I needed to watch Breaking Bad so I could watch Better Get Saul…and although it was good…there were episodes of endless engaging dialog that was a tedium. Having said that, I don’t know when I’ve enjoyed a series like Better Get Saul…this Bob Odenkirk fella and the cast of characters are to me, excellent.

Meh... I'm waiting for the next season of the boys and stranger things.

I finally broke down and watched Breaking Bad after a decade :-/. Amazed... probably the best series and I usually lean more toward sci-fi. Better call Saul drags, and drags.

I didn't totally hate the first season, but yeah....I was a huge fan of the books.

They are children's books. Or, at least, they were supposed to be. They're also fantastic.

It's not the worst adaptation I've ever seen. That was the (I believe Showtime) version of The Rook. Also a really fun book, but...my wife and I gave up before we'd finished the first episode. A friend who hadn't read the book finished it, gave us literally one spoiler, and we were 100% right in our choice.

I don't mean that we stand by the choice. I mean we were objectively correct. Whoever wrote that tv show should never be allowed to write a word again.

My wife tried to get me to watch that one with her. I sat through a few episodes and just could not get into it.

I watched it sort of. It was on in the same room.

I feel like half the stuff that comes out now is going for the teen supernatural kind of thing. Whether it's a woke superhero mashup, or with magic instead, or in the future, or past, or steampunk. Although I used to like shit like Piers Anthony books when I was a teenager, I'm really over it as an adult. I can't watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or The Magicians, or stuff like that anymore. Just not interested. No, I haven't seen any of the Harry Potter movies either, or read the books.

Holy crap... what a tough crowd! o_O

I enjoyed season one of His Dark Materials, and season two had more than enough moments to make me look forward to the upcoming (sometime this year... maybe...) season three.

As for The Rook, damn... I really enjoyed it, and was thoroughly disappointed to find it wasn't picked up for more than that one season. :cry:

The books are very good - the film was ok but I haven't watched the series.

off topic with regards to Lin-Manuel Miranda - I like to point out to my kids that Encanto is not actually that good mainly because there is no villain in it and the story line is pretty weak IMO :tearsofjoy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom