Wish Hints / Pop-ups in Axe-Edit III

Doug Notter

Inspired
I searched and didn't see it mentioned before (which surprised me so I may have simply missed it) but I think a lot of us newbies would be in heaven if a "helpful hint" type pop-up function were available in Axe Edit. See a parameter/control and you have no idea what it's supposed to do? Hover over it for a second and a dialogue box appears explaining it's function and how +/- with that control will affect the sound. Maybe even have it link to the wiki?

I can't speak for anyone else but I can't imagine I'm the only one that would really appreciate such a function. I'll learn it all eventually but man it would be a hell of a lot faster if this existed. Seems like one of the knocks on the Axe is the learning curve. This would help. A lot.

It's still my favorite piece of gear ever. Even if I don't know what the hell I'm doing yet.

I figured that had to be the case. I was actually looking for the thread so I could find out the reason it's not there.

i think with all that info available in the Axe Wiki - more than could ever fit in a pop-up, this hasn't been a priority or need to develop.

just open a browser next to Edit and have multitudes of info right there.

i think with all that info available in the Axe Wiki - more than could ever fit in a pop-up, this hasn't been a priority or need to develop.

I can see that angle. I had my Axe 3 for months before ever seeing the wiki myself. I was too distracted just playing around with it. Still am most of the time. It just feels so tubey I can't stop playing long enough to look things up. What a terrible problem to have right? :cool:

You have me wondering now though, how cool would it be if you could just CMD + Click on a control and have it open a browser AND go straight to the appropriate section of the wiki? Seems like a simple solution. No entering in tons of info for hints. Just links. Of course I'm not a programmer and may have just asked them to basically program the holy bible without realizing it.

And now I'm wondering how cool it would be if User Mods in the style of Doom and Quake were possible. The community itself would add all this stuff on its own...

I can dream. :p

i'd imagine developers don't want to update page numbers if the manual changes. time best spent doing other things i think, personally.
There's an online copy in PDF format. "Open a PDF file to a set destination" on https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/link-html-pdf-page-acrobat.html says one can create links to a particular destination inside a PDF. Maybe when the manual gets updated, "destination" anchors can be added inside the document so they can be linked by a name, rather than a page #, which, if updates are done to the existing doc with the anchors in place, ought to be relatively maintenance free after the initial effort. Heck, even if it just took you to the effect block or other description and wasn't knob-specific, that'd be a great boon for those that need to RTFM quickly and efficiently. :)

It's just a thought....

There's an online copy in PDF format. "Open a PDF file to a set destination" on https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/link-html-pdf-page-acrobat.html says one can create links to a particular destination inside a PDF. Maybe when the manual gets updated, "destination" anchors can be added inside the document so they can be linked by a name, rather than a page #, which, if updates are done to the existing doc with the anchors in place, ought to be relatively maintenance free after the initial effort. Heck, even if it just took you to the effect block or other description and wasn't knob-specific, that'd be a great boon for those that need to RTFM quickly and efficiently. :)

It's just a thought....

I like it. Nice and simple.

You clearly don't understand the difference between a tool tip and full product documentation. They serve different purposes. You're offering a workaround, not a solution.

You clearly don't understand the difference between a tool tip and full product documentation. They serve different purposes. You're offering a workaround, not a solution.
clearly.

my point was that the info required to make that "tool tip" useful would be long for most of what would be desired to read. i don't like seeing huge blocks of text as a tool tip.

so i'm commenting that it wouldn't be a small tool tip for some things. which defeats the point of a tool tip.

Last edited:
A long standing idea in our software dev plan is to have a user-editable file for tips to be shown in the status bar as you mouse over controls in the editor. This could be translated into other languages. This has just never bubbled to the top amongst priorities.

Last edited:
A long standing idea is to have a user-editable file for tips to be shown in the status bar as you mouse over controls in the editor. This could be translated into other languages. It's just never bubbled to the top amongst priorities.
20y06i.jpg

A long standing idea in our software dev plan is to have a user-editable file for tips to be shown in the status bar as you mouse over controls in the editor. This could be translated into other languages. This has just never bubbled to the top amongst priorities.

Nice to know it's on the list. I like the idea of user editable files. That can be taken a couple steps further as well but that's a different post. Thank you for responding!

I'm with you. I know the info is accessible through a Google search and/or the Wiki. That said, tabbing back and forth is not something I particularly enjoy doing when a simple "pop up" style explanation of what said knob actually does could be helpful enough.

I can understand why it's lower on the priority list. I also get that some people don't want their interface cluttered with pop-ups. But a simple toggle tool-tips on/off should solve that problem.

Back
Top Bottom