Hillbilly High-End (meaning homemade / DIY) Floor Monitors

DeVille

Another fella started a thread over in the "Axe-Fx II User Cabs and IRs" forum about his very cool coax DIY FRFR cab. Maybe it should have been posted here in "Amps and Cabs"?

I would like to see what other folks have done also. Please share.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-user-cabs-irs/87078-diy-frfr-cab.html

Below is my attempt at building a combination floor monitor / studio monitor (reposted from the thread above). I'm very happy with my DIYers. Let's see other folks have built, or give us your ideas. Hmm, I still have some wood left.

------------------

"... built around a pair of BMS 12CN860s, a dbx Driverack 260, and a pair of QSC PLX1804 power amps.

The BMSs are triaxial, neodymium, point sources. Was looking for the more commonly known coaxial version, when I stumbled upon these drivers. Checkout the BMS and Assistance Audio websites for specs...pretty impressive." BTW Assistance Audio sells BMS drivers and has top shelf guys they work with for building cabinets and extremely well designed passive crossovers. Those guys were very helpful and provided advice along the way. In the end a buddy of mine and I designed and cobbled my speakers together without any hired professional support.

"The cabinets (our own concoction) are all 18mm Baltic birch, except for the baffle board, which is 25mm (if I recall correctly). Total cabinet volume is about 42 liters (accounting for ports, braces, etc.). The Upward facing angle is either 35 or 55 degrees depending on which back you face downward. Those angles can be varied with the detachable feet (I've never bothered to mount). Or they can be played parallel to the floor when on their end or pole mounts. The cabinets are tuned down to about 52hz (F3). The ports are 4" Klipsch double flairs. The exterior coating is LineX. The interior is lined with 2 inch JBL (black) poly-fill.

I'm running them biamped, actively crossed by the Driverack, but also with a BMS passive crossover between the midrange and tweeters. I drafted a pretty extensive write up about the build, that I'll finish and post at some point. I also have the plans (in Sketchup), and some cabinet volume and port models (in Excel). The Forum doesn't seem to like those files. I can send to folks who are interested, but I'll be traveling (with the rig) for a couple of weeks. Internet access / time may be sporadic.

They sound great in any room (so far), at any volume, and are loud as heck. The clean headroom is deceptive, so you have to really watch the volume. "

Attachments

• BMS Monitor 1.jpg
    BMS Monitor 1.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 50
  • BMS Monitor 3.jpg
    BMS Monitor 3.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 35
  • BMS Monitor 5.jpg
    BMS Monitor 5.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 33
  • BMS Monitor 11.jpg
    BMS Monitor 11.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Very cool!

Pauly
\
Another fella started a thread over in the "Axe-Fx II User Cabs and IRs" forum about his very cool coax DIY FRFR cab. Maybe it should have been posted here in "Amps and Cabs"?

I would like to see what other folks have done also. Please share.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-user-cabs-irs/87078-diy-frfr-cab.html

Below is my attempt at building a combination floor monitor / studio monitor (reposted from the thread above). I'm very happy with my DIYers. Let's see other folks have built, or give us your ideas. Hmm, I still have some wood left.

------------------

"... built around a pair of BMS 12CN860s, a dbx Driverack 260, and a pair of QSC PLX1804 power amps.

The BMSs are triaxial, neodymium, point sources. Was looking for the more commonly known coaxial version, when I stumbled upon these drivers. Checkout the BMS and Assistance Audio websites for specs...pretty impressive." BTW Assistance Audio sells BMS drivers and has top shelf guys they work with for building cabinets and extremely well designed passive crossovers. Those guys were very helpful and provided advice along the way. In the end a buddy of mine and I designed and cobbled my speakers together without any hired professional support.

"The cabinets (our own concoction) are all 18mm Baltic birch, except for the baffle board, which is 25mm (if I recall correctly). Total cabinet volume is about 42 liters (accounting for ports, braces, etc.). The Upward facing angle is either 35 or 55 degrees depending on which back you face downward. Those angles can be varied with the detachable feet (I've never bothered to mount). Or they can be played parallel to the floor when on their end or pole mounts. The cabinets are tuned down to about 52hz (F3). The ports are 4" Klipsch double flairs. The exterior coating is LineX. The interior is lined with 2 inch JBL (black) poly-fill.

I'm running them biamped, actively crossed by the Driverack, but also with a BMS passive crossover between the midrange and tweeters. I drafted a pretty extensive write up about the build, that I'll finish and post at some point. I also have the plans (in Sketchup), and some cabinet volume and port models (in Excel). The Forum doesn't seem to like those files. I can send to folks who are interested, but I'll be traveling (with the rig) for a couple of weeks. Internet access / time may be sporadic.

They sound great in any room (so far), at any volume, and are loud as heck. The clean headroom is deceptive, so you have to really watch the volume. "

Very cool!

I can't personally justify the time it would take to build my own cab, but I admire your work.

If I did build one, I'd make it active and drop in one of these:

gm50-both.jpg

So far I have been able to suppress my OCD compulsion to add up the total cost. I’m going to guess about $1,400 each. If I had used the coaxial BMS 12CN680, passed on the LineX and steel grills (still have never mounted), and not doubled the plywood purchase (just in case), they could be built for more like $650 each.

The 12CN860 (triaxial) was unnecessary overkill for a floor monitor to play guitar through. But, I cannot say enough good things about BMS. Initially I was looking in to other good coaxial driver (like RCF), but BMS seem to have a little sumptin, sumptin, going on the makes their high end very present and listenable at close range (for a PA driver), think silk dome tweeter in a studio monitor.

Good thinking on the GM50s. Those would have been nice.

In my case, I guess I would need passive crossovers to run the GM50s. Really good custom passive crossovers can be built by a guy named Curtis “Too Tall” List. Another case of “had I used the coaxial”, Curtis has a crossover designed, and I could have saved some money, time, and effort. When I was putting these together, he didn’t have a crossover design for the triaxials. So, I went biamp and run two stereo power amps, one for lows, and one for mids/highs crossed at 800hz.

If I try this again, I will definitely look at using those GM50s. Thanks for the idea.

Back
Top Bottom