Higher gain companion to AC15?

Smittefar

Axe-Master
So I recently started building Preset templates. I already have one based on Marshall JM45 and Brit Silver, JM45 being the cleaner one and the brit silver being the higher gain one.

I want to do rougly the same just based on a Class A amp, and currently the AC15 is my favourite. But I don't really know, which higher gain amp to pair it with. (It should sound good through the same IRs)

Off the top of my head
Matchless DC30 (Boutique 1&2)
Bad Cat Hot Cat (Hot Kitty)
Hook
Comet 60/Concourse
Div/13??
Ruby Rocket
Wrecker
Bludojai/Carol-Ann/Fox/Two-Stone/ODS
Others?

Lots of options, which ones do you think will make a good companion to the AC15?

I love both the AC15 and the DC30. The AC15 has more/better chime but the DC30 is more versatile - it can do clean, breakup, and really great crunch all by riding the Input Drive.

I wouldn't call it "high gain" but it will sound great through whatever IR you're using with the AC15.

Splawns? They are cool, but aren't they quite a stretch from the Voxes?

@philipacamaniac , I was hoping, you would chime in, you seem to be very well versed in the class A amps. Will certainly give the DC30 a good workout. Any thoughts on the Wrecker Rocket?

The Rocket is something special! It's like a mythical dragon that has to be tamed. I've heard some amazing sounds out of it but I haven't been able to dial it in to sit well in a mix, at least in the genres I'm familiar with. It's very chimey and very touch sensitive, but I've struggled with clarity at higher gains (whether from the Input Drive or drive pedals).

Absolutely worth the look. Both the Wrecker and the Ruby, as they apparently have different designs (even though the Ruby was supposed to be a clone?).

I just tried the rocket. Wow! It sounds great for a fluid lead with low output humbuckers. I need to give it more quality time.

Try the Morgan AC20, the EF86 version (I'm not sure of the actual model name).
Thank me later.

Another vote for the Morgan AC20: for maintaining something of the AC15 vibe but holding higher gain together better. Try turning up the treble and roll it off with the high cut. Preamp tube selection affects the overdrive/distortion character usefully as well.

I tried the Morgan a few times. Thought it was pretty good, but I was never blown away. Must give it another go.

Couldn't help myself - I indulged in a bit more Wrecker Madness - Maybe a bit too saturated and a bit too much stereo tape delay, but I could play for days with this sound

Couldn't help myself - I indulged in a bit more Wrecker Madness - Maybe a bit too saturated and a bit too much stereo tape delay, but I could play for days with this sound

Me like....Which Wrecker and which cab was that? Nice and bright.....

So I recently started building Preset templates. I already have one based on Marshall JM45 and Brit Silver, JM45 being the cleaner one and the brit silver being the higher gain one.

I want to do rougly the same just based on a Class A amp, and currently the AC15 is my favourite. But I don't really know, which higher gain amp to pair it with. (It should sound good through the same IRs)

Off the top of my head
Matchless DC30 (Boutique 1&2)
Bad Cat Hot Cat (Hot Kitty)
Hook
Comet 60/Concourse
Div/13??
Ruby Rocket
Wrecker
Bludojai/Carol-Ann/Fox/Two-Stone/ODS
Others?

Lots of options, which ones do you think will make a good companion to the AC15?

I cannot recommend the Matchless DC30 enough.

I would stick to the Class A variants if your looking for a Vox vibe! I used to own a Hot Cat 30 and was a really nice amp great chimey clean and a rippen dirty channel.

I would stick to the Class A variants if your looking for a Vox vibe! I used to own a Hot Cat 30 and was a really nice amp great chimey clean and a rippen dirty channel.
I guess that rules out the ODS/Fox/Two-Stone as well as Hook/13/Komet - Point taken - reduced workload great :p

DC30...but that's the "Matchbox 30", not the boutique models. I think the boutiques are a Chieftan maybe?
Thanks, I seemed to remember there was another, but could not remember which one it was

Me like....Which Wrecker and which cab was that? Nice and bright.....

It's the Wrecker Rocket with an IR from this package https://www.cabir.eu/en/uk-collecti...se-cab-ir-library-marshall-mr-cb71g12m25.html (- It's basically Greenbacks in a Marshall cab. There should be plenty of options available, but I really think this one has a little bit of specialness. It has found its way to my shortlist very quickly.

+1 for AC20 EF86 Treble.

I really need to spend some time with the Matchless amps. I always loved those in other modelers.

The MatchBox D-30 definitely has something very nice to it.
i've tried all the others, i can't find anything that touches it for Class-A tones. i use it for pretty much everything i do that doesn't call for heavier tones...from Worship to country to pop and everything in between.

I just tried the rocket. Wow! It sounds great for a fluid lead with low output humbuckers. I need to give it more quality time.

Holy Moly! As you say; That Ruby Rocket is one fantastic amp. I must not have tried it, or used inappropriate cab IRs if I did: Its definitely getting a workout tonight! (F011 Bludo mix is nice - will try others)

And yes, the DC30 - a true classic.

You guys have succeeded in pulling me away from the Dumble HRM; for a while, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom