Higher gain companion to AC15?

Try the Morgan AC20, the EF86 version (I'm not sure of the actual model name). I wouldn't call it higher gain, but I like it better than the AC15 (which I like a lot).

Thank me later.

The Morgan ac-20 is my current favorite amp. personally like it better than the vox's. if you need an ir for it, there is a free one with the larry Mitchell presets.

I tried the LM IR with the Voxes and the Matchless. I didn't like it very much, it seemed a but bland. I love the Marshall LM IR.

It's been a long time since I sold my Badger 18, but every time I try that model I think it sounds terrible and I don't think it sounds anything like the amp I had.
The Badger 18 is one of my favorite amp models. One of the guys in the office has the amp, and there is no detectable difference between the two here.

It certainly sounds fine to me. I'm not so worried about a model sounding exactly as the amp it emulates, but as a tool to get a sound I need or want.
It occupies a nice spot right after my clean/crush preset with a slightly more saturated sound that lets me listen the Bareknuckles in their full glory.

The Badger 18 is one of my favorite amp models. One of the guys in the office has the amp, and there is no detectable difference between the two here.

Good to know. As I said, it's been a long time since I owned the Badger 18.

It certainly sounds fine to me. I'm not so worried about a model sounding exactly as the amp it emulates, but as a tool to get a sound I need or want.
It occupies a nice spot right after my clean/crush preset with a slightly more saturated sound that lets me listen the Bareknuckles in their full glory.

Well, I agree about the amp models being a tool to get a sound you need, but what's the point of naming them after a specific amp if they don't sound like it? According to Joe, it does, so that's really a moot point on my part. Maybe I'm just not matching it up with the right IR. I guess I'll revisit it, because I did like the amp when I owned it.

Good to know. As I said, it's been a long time since I owned the Badger 18.

Well, I agree about the amp models being a tool to get a sound you need, but what's the point of naming them after a specific amp if they don't sound like it? According to Joe, it does, so that's really a moot point on my part. Maybe I'm just not matching it up with the right IR. I guess I'll revisit it, because I did like the amp when I owned it.
Your CAB choice will dramatically effect your impression of the AMP model (as I'm sure you realize). However, because you were struggling with this particular amp, I would suggest setting the amp settings up just like you use to with the actual amp. Then spend time selecting the cabinet IR that best suits your memory of the amp. As has been pointed out in other posts, you can also play with the High and Low cut on the CAB block.

It's no big deal. There are already so many great sounding amp models that I really like. Its not like the Badger 18 has left a hole in my tonal palette that can't be filled. I sold the Badger 18 for a reason and I don't miss it one bit.

For a high gain companion to the Vox sound, it's an easy answer for me. The Class-A 30W Hot model sounds wonderful to my ears. Give it a try if you haven't.

I actually overlooked that one. I will give it a try, although I'm quite smitten with the Wrecker Rocket at this point

I do a lot of P&W. With the 'one amp block limitation' I actually use the Class-A 30W Hot model with the treble boost drive block. For cleans I have the pedal set up in heel position to drop the amp gain and treble boost tone way down. Then to get dirty toe down brings the amp gain way up and the treble boost tone to 5.00. Works really well for me. It isn't Plexi type gain by any means, but it will get nice and dirty.

Back
Top Bottom