High-shielded cables and EMI noise

I did just do an experiment. I got all the cables I used and got a metal cooking pot and placed it on the router. When I hold the cable close to the router when the metal pot on it the noise is softer but when I touch the pot at the same time as ik holding the cable there's absolutely no noise. Does this point to my cables not being grounded or shielded properly or something?

I did just do an experiment. I got all the cables I used and got a metal cooking pot and placed it on the router. When I hold the cable close to the router when the metal pot on it the noise is softer but when I touch the pot at the same time as ik holding the cable there's absolutely no noise. Does this point to my cables not being grounded or shielded properly or something?
Isn't WiFi in the GHz range? I don't think you'd hear it. Maybe the power supply is causing interference but not the WiFi operation.

I'm not exactly what you did from your description, but I don't think a cooling pot will help you evaluate the shielding on your cable.

Isn't WiFi in the GHz range? I don't think you'd hear it. Maybe the power supply is causing interference but not the WiFi operation.
Next time you're playing in a room awith a Wi-fi router, kill your noise gate and hold your guitar next to the router. You'll hear it. :)

Ive noticed that the only time the noise goes away completely is when I get my HSS strat and put it in position 4 where the middle and neck pickup are together, but it buzzes with every humbucker guitar I have.

My main workhorse guitar that I gigged with for probably over 10 years was a Warmoth parts-caster. I lined the control cavity and pickup cavities with copper shielding foil and attached it to ground in multiple spots. Quietest guitar I've ever played. Got tiny cuts all over my hands from handling the foil though.
Tone by a thousand cuts.

Back
Top Bottom