High Quality Cable vs Economy Cable, The SRV Story

gigawatt

Experienced
I was about to purchase a decent Mogami cable when a little story about Stevie Ray Vaughan popped in my head. Ever here the one about when Stevie had a gig but no guitar cable? and someone had to go out and find him a new one? Well, they went out and bought the best one they could find, and when Stevie plugged it in in he hated the tone. I'm going to have to paraphrase; Stevie didn't like his newfound "clear" tone, he wanted his old school cheap cable and the tone it gave him.

Has anyone else run into that? Bought a high priced cable only to hate your newfound tone? I guess you'd have to be old enough in the first place to know what "old school" sounds like. ;)

I bring this up because of a post I started about having an overly bright guitar issue which I'll explain in a moment, but, needless to say, I was a little concerned about a nice new Mogami cable making that guitar even brighter. Right now I'm using a Ploynk 20ft neon green average cable (maybe even below average) from guitar to Axe III. Ploynk claimed they were using "high quality" wire for their custom cables but I recently discovered when my lady friend bumped into that "high quality" cable it made a noise, so I tapped it a few times and sure enough, it was microphonic (I think that's the right term for a cable?). Then I rolled the cable between my thumb and fingers and I could feel the inner sleeve or "core" was loose in there. I thought what the hell? really? and a few other words I can't mention. I had bought about $160+ worth of these cables to wire my entire rig! Fortunately besides the guitar cable the longest one is only 5 feet, and I used only balanced cables except for the ones connecting my ADA MP1 Classic ;) in the Axe's "loop."

a-da-mp-1-classic-42231.jpg

Warning, tangent... When I said "Classic" I wasn't talking about the old classic preamp form the 80's, I meant the "Classic" with the added noise gate and "Brown Sound" crunch channel :D. (Note the word Classic under the "LED" display between MP-1 and ADA). I love this preamp and it's so easy to use, but that's not why we're here.

In conclusion. Should I buy the Mogami Silver series10ft cable for around 30 bucks? BTW 10 feet is really all I need {I can always use my wireless (that clips on a firmly struck G string) if I need to walk down the block or something}. Going from a 20 ft cheap cable to a 10 ft Mogami Silver series is probably going to make a big difference, I'm sure it will be quieter. Question is, will I like the tone?

Oh about the guitar: I found out what was making it so bright. Turns out, some of the strings in certain spots were fretting out because I didn't have enough relief in the neck. I like a really straight neck, but it usually comes at a cost; buzz :mad:. So I bit the bullet and loosened the truss rod, then I noticed it was loose... but still straight. So I kept loosening it in case it was a dual truss rod like I put in my V-Burst I had built and sure enough it started getting tight, really tight. So I sighted the neck and there was forward bow to it alright, too much for my style so I turned it back a little and retuned the strings. Not bad, I think I can handle a "slight bow" in the name of "tone." :D

So sorry, really didn't mean for this to be so long about just a piece of wire, hopefully you'll be done reading by the time you're done in the latrine :rolleyes:. [actually I just proof read it cuz spell chech an auta corcect ar'nt worhing :D, it's not that long]. ;)

Right, the 10ft Mogami "guitar cable" replacing the cheap 20ft Doynk cable. Question is, will I like the new tone?

Thanks for you input :).

Note; having Macbook issues, spell check and auto correct aren't working so my apologies for the right words :p.

Last edited:
I'm so confused :confused:! Which one is best?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Foot-Mo...853545?hash=item2ccba07ca9:g:C3gAAOSwnHZYWvOF

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Foot-Mo...791371?hash=item2ccb9f89cb:g:5IYAAOSwNE5YWvOF

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mogami-Neu...JIAAOxy63FS8RS~:sc:USPSFirstClass!60660!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mogami-10-...946365&hash=item3d4b3dd53c:g:nnIAAOSwCbtZ2-vn

What is Core Plus and is W3368 better than 2524?

OK just Googled it, man I got some reading to do! Aww IDK, maybe I should just buy the last one and be done with it. What do you guys think?

Nevermind, I've already opened that proverbial can o worms o_O. Anyone tried Evidence Audio Cables?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Evidence-A...981958&hash=item1ee475a7bf:g:nV0AAOSwmT1bNU7f

There are all kinds of opinions on cables. Some say it's scientifically proven that they don't make a difference. My ears don't agree, although years ago I bought a cable made a big difference through my Afe-FX/FRFR rig but through my friend's vintage Fender amp there was no difference. A cable can sound bright or dark. I won't say I look for bright cables but that I'd rather have one that doesn't prohibit highs. Upper frequencies are easier to remove that add. I've been using this cord for about ten years now:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/evidence-audio-the-forte-instrument-cable

There might be better ones now but I'm happy with it.

There are all kinds of opinions on cables. Some say it's scientifically proven that they don't make a difference. My ears don't agree, although years ago I bought a cable made a big difference through my Afe-FX/FRFR rig but through my friend's vintage Fender amp there was no difference. A cable can sound bright or dark. I won't say I look for bright cables but that I'd rather have one that doesn't prohibit highs. Upper frequencies are easier to remove that add. I've been using this cord for about ten years now:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/evidence-audio-the-forte-instrument-cable

There might be better ones now but I'm happy with it.

Hey thanks MKeditor, I really appreciate it :).

110 dollars!!! Holy crap! for one 10 foot cable, and I thought the Evidence I posted was expensive at $68.
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acc...1720927-sku^H86705000002000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

Well, I started out at a $30 budget for a Mogami, thought about spending $68 on an Evidence Audio, But I am not spending 110 dollars on one cable, nope, nope, nope. ;). You did make it easyier for me to rationalyse (geez I need spellcheck back) spending just only $68 though ;). Since you spent 110 and all... Did you do your whole rig with those???

I've got a cable that I just can't live without. It's my oldest piece of gear.

When I graduated from high school in 1979 my Mom bought me a guitar cable for my graduation gift. It's covered in multicolored cloth. 25 feet. I've gone through 100 ends and I have no idea what brand it is.

Still sounds better than anything I've ever used. Don't know what I'd do if I ever lost it.

It got me through 4 years at Berklee, a dozen USO tours and every gig I've had since. Somewhere between 8,000 to 10,000 shows as close as I can estimate.

I am starting to wonder if all this really is snake oil. I don't doubt you can tell the difference, but other than no noise which any decent cable can provide, do they really sound any better? Have any of you seen the "wireless" thread, where they talk about wireless units with a switch that makes it sound like you're playing thru a cable? they even take it a step further and offer different virtual cable lengths. So wireless guys wanna sound like they're going through Randy Rhoads' 40 foot old cable and cable guys want ultra res clarity and brightness.

Ya know what I mean? Anyway, does this seem like a decent enough cable? I'm already happy with my wireless, except when it clips on a firmly hit G string...;)

Livewire Elite Instrument Cable Angled/Straight 10ft

71a-ZCbw%2BBL._SL1200_.jpg

$73.99 at Amazon so it has to be good, $30.99 at Guitar Center, aww come on man...

I don't always use cables, but when I do I choose Mogami. I use Lava cable for my wireless transmitter. Like em.

I don't always use cables, but when I do I choose Mogami. I use Lava cable for my wireless transmitter. Like em.

I don't always drink beer, but when I do I prefer... Somebody please comment on the Live Wire Elite so I can be done with this, sort of o_O. I was Mogami all the way when I started this thread, but since then all kinds of folks are raving bout the Live Wires and the Armor Gold being miles better than Mogami Gold and the LW's are cheaper. Now Lava has joined the pack.

Still, I'm still a little skeptical. I know there are cables better than what I have now, "Ploynk." But how crazy better should I go before it becomes stupid to pay that much for a cable?

When I gigged I used a Shure DiversityT4N wireless that I bought in '99 without fail except for one gig right next to Midway airport called Bohica's, then I used my trusty old 8mm thick Guitar Center cord. I never really noticed the wireless being brighter or cleaner than cheap cables like folks do today that need features like "cable length or capacitance" Although I do recall not being electrocuted with it because it disconnects you from the amp. ;);)

Guitar cables act like a capacitor to ground, adding a capacitor to ground in a guitar effects the resonant frequency of your pickup. Having a cable with a high capacitance lowers the resonant frequency of your pickup more than a cable that has low capacitance. One is not better or worse they just need to be thought about as an integral part of your guitars circuit.
upload_2018-7-26_9-42-44.png
This graph shows the effects of different capacitors on the resonant frequency of a pickup. So for this particular pickup having a guitar cable with a 1.5nF capacitance would lower the resonant frequency by about 2Khz.
A Mogami 2319 cable has a capacitance per foot of 155pF according to this website, http://www.shootoutguitarcables.com/guitar-cables-explained/capacitance-chart.html so for a 10 ft cable that would be 1550pF total or 1.55nF which would move the resonant frequency of the guitar pickup down about 2Khz.
The best cable on that chart had a capacitance per foot of 52pF so if you get the best cable you can get you can go three times as long with your cable with the same tonal benefits.
So, no its not snake oil it is a measurable and calculable change in the resonant frequency of your guitar.
BTW if you have active pickups all these things change. You can pretty much run any cable with no effect on tone if you have active pickups.

Back
Top Bottom