High Quality audio sharing sites?

fractalz

Power User
Have you found any sites for sharing audio that allow you to post / stream high-quality files?

Soundcloud compresses things too much for me - I don't want my files to sound like they are under water. I've been posting files to Amazon S3 and sharing links from there, but I'd like to find something better.

Thanks in advance for any pointers...

Post your mp3 to soundcloud then give a dropbox link for the wav version of the same file.

That gives everyone a chance to audition compressed and download uncompressed if they need to.

If you upload WAV files to soundcloud and have a download link, the downloaded files are WAV. Soundcloud streams 128k due to bandwidth costs, most other similar sites have the same cost-cutting issue.

If you upload to YouTube, try to make sure it's HD1080 or 720p as then the audio quality goes up.

If you upload WAV files to soundcloud and have a download link, the downloaded files are WAV. Soundcloud streams 128k due to bandwidth costs, most other similar sites have the same cost-cutting issue.

True this.

Also.. always upload uncompressed WAV files to Soundcloud, not MP3. SC will transcode whatever media you upload to their own 128k streaming format. For best results you never want to transcode from one compressed format to another.

By the way.. http://Clyp.it is a great alternative to Soundcloud, more people should start using it. They require no user account and you can upload an unlimited number of files (100 mb size limit per file). It's really fast and easy to share audio.. been using Clyp to share songwriting demo clips with bandmates.

They even have an API, and you can link directly to your MP3 if you've chosen to enable downloads. Like so..

I was just hosting higher res files off Dropbox but with the last Dropbox client release on OS X they broke the ability to generate streaming player friendly URLs for audio files. Grumble grumble.

I meant to try OneDrive and Google Drive to see if they'd allow me to provide stream-friendly URLs I can use on the forum here.

S3 is viable. Shouldn't be that expensive for all but the most popular tracks out there.

If you upload WAV files to soundcloud and have a download link, the downloaded files are WAV.

Thanks for the tip - I didn't know about the download links being full resolution.

P. S. Nice to see a familiar face on the boards ;)

Back
Top Bottom