High quality Audio Interfaces 500-800

Keg8605

Power User
Checking into a new interface for my keyboard rig. Looking at the typical competitors. I think I will be staying USB. Anybody have much experience with these?

Apogee Duet, Apollo Twin solo, RME babyface pro....

Thanks

I have a Babyface (blue model pre pro) and it is an absolutely awesome interface. Great for portable laptop studio. I also have an Apollo Quad and it is quality. You WILL get sucked into the powered plugin money pit but it is a bit of a different category than the other I/O's you list. My buddy has the Quartet which uses the same pre-amps as the Duet I believe. It is a pristine unit. Hard to go wrong in the choices you mention. Personally I'm going to sell my Babyface and a Saffire 40 I have and get a Duet for portable work and keep my Apollo for mastering.

I think the only drawback I'm feeling with the Duet is that breakout cable. Seems likely to break. Digging the fact that the babyface has XLR outs as well.

How many inputs do you want? Audient id22 and id14 are classy and affordable, and with ADAT I/O you can expand them to have enough channels to record the whole band.

I never had any issues with the cables but I am picky careful. You might also consider the Zoom interface line. I was discussing with vangrieg a few months ago and these units sported some pretty good specs especially in light of price.

( I just relooked and it is USB but it's 3.0)

Apollo Twin USB on WIndows user here. Love it.
As a bonus, if you score an Apollo, among the many world class plugins you have access to is IMO, the ONLY Guitar amp emulation that can rival FAS, the brilliant Fender Tweed Deluxe created by Fractal buddy and contributor James Santiago, now tone guru at UA........

I think the only drawback I'm feeling with the Duet is that breakout cable. Seems likely to break. Digging the fact that the babyface has XLR outs as well.

I use the Duet..but a much older one. Never had an issue with the cable, but it's pretty static sitting where it is. 7 years or so. Simple setup, but since I don't record all the time I always have to futz around with the inputs/outputs each time I fire it up.

Back
Top Bottom