High output PU´s and the Axe

tade

I know this has been somehow discussed before, but I didn´t find an specific thread about it.

I´ve been using high output pickups for the last years, (SD SH-6 Distortion, Lace´s Drop and gain) basically because I favoured the sound of not so gainy amps driven hard (800 and so) rather than the more high gain stuff. It worked for me when using "real" tube amps.
Now with the Axe II and it´s gain structure, it seems like there might not be a need for such style pickups and I might benefit from lower output PU´s and thieir supposed improved clarity.

Have some of you also gone that route, decreasing the output from the guitar and adding that in the chain, and if so, what are your thoughts about it?

The Global Amp Gain parameter gives you +/-12 dB adjustment over the gain of all your presets at once. Try turning it down.

Thanks for the answers.
I understand that the AXE offers a few ways to adjust the levels, it´s extremely flexible.
My question was more about changing the pick ups and trying weaker ones, as there are always lots of gain available afterwards.

My question was more about changing the pick ups and trying weaker ones, as there are always lots of gain available afterwards.
The ideas that people presented here are ways to simulate lowering your pickup output, which was the heart of the OP. Actually swapping pickups will not only lower the output; it will also give you pickups with a different voicing, and that throws in a whole different set of variables.

In other words, the ideas presented here are the only way to isolate the effect of lowering pickup level.

This is an interesting topic to me because I have a guitar, a Les Paul, that has PAF style medium output pickups. Although the pickups sound great, when using them with alot of AMP gain they tend to flub out a bit and there isn't a strong definition in the lower strings. You have nearly infinite gain make up in the AXE so one would think that this type of issue is moot. I think Rex is onto something though, the voicing and character of the pickup is much more important than how much output it has. Many of the more modern hi gain pickups do not respond as well to changes made with the volume and tone knobs, effectively cleaning up your signal when lowered etc.. I may have more to add on this topic since I just ordered a set of "hotter" pickups than the stock BB1 and BB2 in my Les Paul. I am really curious how these will sound with my current setup.

The ideas that people presented here are ways to simulate lowering your pickup output, which was the heart of the OP. Actually swapping pickups will not only lower the output; it will also give you pickups with a different voicing, and that throws in a whole different set of variables.

In other words, the ideas presented here are the only way to isolate the effect of lowering pickup level.

Yes, you´re right. Actually I´m myself experimenting with the various controls to improve clarity.
The reason why I started this thread is because I recall reading a comment made by Cliff stating he favoured lowish output pickups, as the tone was more focused while using these.
I know next to nothing about PU design, that´s why I wonder if there is a trade off between clarity and gain, due to the need of overwinding or using stronger magnets or whatever it takes to warm up the signal. Then, even if we simulate the effect of lowering the output, the result wouldn´t be the same.

I have an Ultra in the studio and many different guitars. I choose the guitar for it's sound and if it has high output pickups such as my G&L Legacy with EMG's I don't change a thing on the preamp. It reacts like I'd expect if I was plugging into one of my regular tube amps. Whatever the amp setting on the Fractal, if i want more sustain and saturation, I choose the guitar that best fits the requirement.

Back
Top Bottom