High output pickups

What are the overall results with active pickups, like emg? Is it easy to obtain clean to mean, to agressive sounds with them on a axe 2?

What are the overall results with active pickups, like emg? Is it easy to obtain clean to mean, to agressive sounds with them on a axe 2?
same as a real amp. there shouldn't be any difference. i apply that concept to almost everything and the results are what i expect.

That has NO affect on tone or gain. It's for optimization of the A/D converters for signal to noise ratio.
Ideally, any pickup should have enough output to tickle the red when the Input Pad is set to 0 dB so you can get optimal signal to noise ratio.

i think no.

people have made modifications to many guitar parts that make amps do certain things. the axe can make the amps do those things. so you don't necessarily need extreme level modifications to get more gain/level out of the digital stuff.

tone is a different topic, and if it makes a unique tone, then fine. but making more strict level is usually not needed.
I got the Super D for my SG back before I got the Axe. I was using a Peavey Rockmaster tube preamp. I thought in terms of "I'm playing a 1960s guitar, if it were the 70s and I was replacing the bridge pickup, what would it be?" A Super D driving a Marshall or Peavey most likely. It made sense until I got the Axe and realized it seemed like the Super D was not going to be driving any vintage "models" with that digital input! I don't need to lower the Super D any more. This was more about Super D type pickups being superfluous with digital equipment that shouldn't be clipped.

What pickups are your Ibanezes? I ask because I run Dimarzio 36th PAFs (285 mV in the bridge) and I crank them up height-wise. At 0 dB pad I can hit the red no problem.
They are the IBZ USA branded pickups that DiMarzio made for Ibanez in the late '80s.

You've mentioned "0 dB pad" a couple times. What specifically are you talking about. I'm not aware of any "pad" setting for the instrument inputs.

They are the IBZ USA branded pickups that DiMarzio made for Ibanez in the late '80s.

You've mentioned "0 dB pad" a couple times. What specifically are you talking about. I'm not aware of any "pad" setting for the instrument inputs.
Ha! I'm sorry I forgot which sub forum I was in, I've got an AX-8 and an Axe FX II XL+ so I mix it up and posting on the iPad makes it more tricky. Please excuse me.

Back
Top Bottom