High output pickups

When I use one of my guitars with a high output pickup I’m getting a mushy bass tone compared to the tight high tone I usually get when using my Marshall amp. When I use a guitar with a medium output everything sounds great through the fractal 2. Should I be making some type of adjustment on my input level or something else when using a high output pickup?

When I use one of my guitars with a high output pickup I’m getting a mushy bass tone compared to the tight high tone I usually get when using my Marshall amp. When I use a guitar with a medium output everything sounds great through the fractal 2. Should I be making some type of adjustment on my input level or something else when using a high output pickup?
Yes. Adjust the Input level in I/O on the front panel. The owners manual has more detail.

Yes. Adjust the Input level in I/O on the front panel. The owners manual has more detail.
That's for A/D conversion... I don't think that's the right answer.

Lowering Input Drive or Input Trim on the Amp block is probably the right choice.

Also, assuming you meant Instrument Level?

I’m finding some discussions on the forum to this regard. Some have even mentioned lowering the pickup. Seems I’m not the only one having this issue.

I’m finding some discussions on the forum to this regard. Some have even mentioned lowering the pickup. Seems I’m not the only one having this issue.
This is no different than with a real amp. Hotter pickups drive the amp harder.

Change the amp settings or turn down your guitar volume. Either the amp is compressing more from the volume or there is more bass output from the pickups... So, as I mentioned before, lower Input Drive or Input Trim, or reduce Bass (various options for this).

This is how things work with guitars and amps... Not specific to Axe Fx.

I just reread your post.

Are you saying that you're playing the guitar into an actual Marshall and it sounds fine but not using a similar model?

If so, try turning down the MV.

Are you using a comparable Marshall amp model and do you have the tone controls of the amp model set approximately the same as your Marshall amp? Make sure you set Bass and especially Master Volume the same.

Master volume taper on the axe doesnt necessarily mimic the real amp. Fiddle with it enough and you can tell when it starts to get flubby. Back it off a bit from there

Master volume taper on the axe doesnt necessarily mimic the real amp. Fiddle with it enough and you can tell when it starts to get flubby. Back it off a bit from there

If you're hearing mushy low-end and the MV is cranked, probably worth a shot to lower it.

Last edited:
Master volume, drive or input trim I'd say. I'd lean more towards Input Trim first personally. If I recall it's controllable as well so you could assign a controller to it and hit an IA to change it's value when you change to that guitar.

I just reread your post.

Are you saying that you're playing the guitar into an actual Marshall and it sounds fine but not using a similar model?

If so, try turning down the MV.

Yes, saying when I plug all my guitars into my real jcm800 with a real jcm 800 cab it sounds great. All use pretty much the same setting. When I plug into the fractal using my prs with ‘M’ pickups it sounds mushy. However my other guitars with a med pickups sound great.

Yes, saying when I plug all my guitars into my real jcm800 with a real jcm 800 cab it sounds great. All use pretty much the same setting. When I plug into the fractal using my prs with ‘M’ pickups it sounds mushy. However my other guitars with a med pickups sound great.
Interesting... As suggested, I would first try lowering the MV. As someone else mentioned, the taper of that control may not match the actual amp.

So my question on this subject is a little different. The Axe FX has something that analog amps do not: the digital Instrument Level Input. I have a few guitars with vintage output singles or humbuckers at around the same Instrument Level Input, but the SG with the Super Distortion--no. The whole point of those pickups is to push tube amps to clipping right away, not digital front ends we're supposed to be nice to. Is there any point using high output pups like that if you have to turn the Inst Lev Input down to prevent clipping the input?

Last edited:
Is there any point using high output pups like that if you have to turn the Inst Lev Input down to prevent clipping the input?
In my opinion, no.

I assume you've tried lowering the height of the Super D? You should be able to get it a little lower (I know SGs are pretty low profile overall).

So my question on this subject is a little different. The Axe FX has something that analog amps do not: the digital Instrument Level Input. I have a few guitars with vintage output singles or humbuckers at around the same Instrument Level Input, but the SG with the Super Distortion--no. The whole point of those pickups is to push tube amps to clipping right away, not digital front ends we're supposed to be nice to. Is there any point using high output pups like that if you have to turn the Inst Lev Input down to prevent clipping the input?
i think no.

people have made modifications to many guitar parts that make amps do certain things. the axe can make the amps do those things. so you don't necessarily need extreme level modifications to get more gain/level out of the digital stuff.

tone is a different topic, and if it makes a unique tone, then fine. but making more strict level is usually not needed.

Back
Top Bottom