High Output Pickups and AMP Block Headroom Meter

JRod4928

Power User
Do those of you with higher output pickups notice that the amp block headroom meter is almost always pegged at 0 dB?

I find that in most of my presets I have to turn my guitar volume down, play very softly, or coil tap my humbuckers, in order to have any shot at 'edge of breakup' tones. Is that fairly normal? Seems my input with humbucker engaged pushes the amp too hard, regardless of the preamp drive, and it ends up just sounding distorted - which is fine, but sometimes I don't want that.

In particular I'm thinking of the Blues Jr, or AC20 Treble amp. I'm using 57/08 PRS pickups, which aren't extremely hot. I have no blocks in front of the amp while experiencing this by the way.

I'm unfamiliar with these amps in real life, so maybe turning volume down on the guitar is just something you need to do on these to get cleaner tones on these amps.

Have you tried turning down the input trim? And what setting are you using for Input 1 pad?

Everything is default.

I did play with input trim, and of course it acted similarly to when I roll my guitar volume back.

If everyone is calibrating their input trim to create more headroom, that's fine, I'll do that (can that be done globally (input 1 gain, not in FM3))? Maybe I just missed this step being discussed much on here.

My main guitar has Dimarzio Superdistortion in the bridge and Norton (not air) in the neck. I don't have the same issue you're having. I have no issue getting edge of breakup and clean tones. Not trying to be an ass, just saying there's something else at play in your setup.

You did the general setup routine As stated in the manual? stroke the strings hard and adjst the input Trim so that the red led only lights ups time by time? I am playing tremonti pickups and 85/15 no issue with both pu‘s with using fm3

You did the general setup routine As stated in the manual? stroke the strings hard and adjst the input Trim so that the red led only lights ups time by time? I am playing tremonti pickups and 85/15 no issue with both pu‘s with using fm3

Of course not - I just plugged it in and starting playing the damn thing.

..........however I did adjust the input trim last night as you just described, but I've owned it for weeks now

Some of it may have to do with the virtual master on specific amp models
maxing out the headroom. As a new FM3 owner this was an issue for me that
I had to rectify (no pun intended!), and am still working on with some models.

Last edited:
Ah ok thx for reply, cross fingers that this will work for you, rolling down the guitar volume cant be the final solution 🤞

I used quite hot Mastertone active pickups last weekend and those have been the only case where I have had to roll back the guitar volume to avoid it getting too distorted. Even then the input settings only lit up the red LED when strumming heavily with volume on full.

Adjust your input settings according to the manual first and then work the amp block. You can use the input/output meters at the top of the UI to gauge how hot signal you are getting too.

I used quite hot Mastertone active pickups last weekend and those have been the only case where I have had to roll back the guitar volume to avoid it getting too distorted. Even then the input settings only lit up the red LED when strumming heavily with volume on full.

Adjust your input settings according to the manual first and then work the amp block. You can use the input/output meters at the top of the UI to gauge how hot signal you are getting too.
The input meter wasn't hitting red very often, even before I adjusted the input pad.

Now that I think of it, the fact that my input wasn't hitting red or clipping should've been an indication that my input was fine and the problem lies elsewhere. I'll have time today to test

Hi Thanks much - I was thinking it was in amp section - I saw it but maybe there was other areas I missed :)

Good luck Jrod my Ibanez pickups are really hot also - have to look into it myself

Back
Top Bottom