High gain without an IR -- or 'Creating your own IR from scratch'

Jason Scott

Fractal Fanatic
Though this subject has been discussed to some extent in previous threads, I wanted to try my hand at creating a high gain preset without a Cab block. Obviously you have to tame the high end, so I used multiple High Cut filters and some light EQ'ing elsewhere to shape the frequency curve. When all was said and done, I Tone Matched the end result and exported it as a Cab.

In my opinion, one advantage of creating a filter from scratch vs. using an IR is that the former basically removes the microphone from the equation and allows you to hear more of the sonic characteristics of the amp. When viewed under a spectrum analyzer, I noticed the high end fall off is much smoother than any other IR I've used, and there are no visible indications of fizz in the spectrum.

Here's a short high gain sample using the Friedman HBE 2018 C45 model:

Attachments

• Friedman HBE 2018 C45 No IR.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Iirc, Wasn’t this technique discussed about a month or so ago? I think it was either matt or cliff… Translates pretty well on a modern stereo iPhone.

Iirc, Wasn’t this technique discussed about a month or so ago? I think it was either matt or cliff… Translates pretty well on a modern stereo iPhone.

Cliff created a thread about it last year and included some tentative settings. The above sample was created without any reference to the settings in said thread, though.

Cliff created a thread about it last year and included some tentative settings. The above sample was created without any reference to the settings in said thread, though.

Easy ... maybe decaf ... even tossed you a prop ...

... was just noting the idea.

Not trying to get your NIHS activated.

Easy ... maybe decaf ... even tossed you a prop ...

... was just noting the idea.

Not trying to get your NIHS activated.

I think you misinterpreted the tenor of my post, which was meant to be innocuous. You asked whether the technique was discussed approx. a month or so ago by Cliff or Matt, and I was simply confirming that you're correct; Cliff did, in fact, create a thread about it. As an aside, I was just noting that I didn't reference the settings in that thread with respect to the sample above. Personally, I found your post complimentary and anything but offensive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom