High Gain tone sounds digital

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like a guitar, amp, cab and mic... have you had the opportunity to mic up a real rig in the studio ? There is almost zero difference between my 5150 and the sim using my IR's.

Since you like that djent test video, which's nothing but an axe-fx with IRs, you probably just have the "it can't be possibly enough" syndrome and maybe also the "it's my tone that sucks not my mix" syndrome.

Tone sounds a bit too squishy. Partly because of your low tuning. If you lower the gain it’ll help the clarity.
If your using a drive pedal block then try and set the volume on it to 3-4 and then gently increase the drive on the pedal up until you get what your after.
Consider lowering the gain on the amp block and then perhaps activating the sat switch with a lowish value (1-2) to make up for the lack of gain.

If your using those PRS 85/15 pickups then I made what I thought was a nice tone (but tone matched so not as good) on axechange. I used 3sigma IRs of the v30 Fatboy cabinet (3a)
http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5828
Thanks for this! I use 59/09 and 57/08

What is a digital sounding guitar tone anyway? I see that term being used a lot but never a good explanation.

What is a digital sounding guitar tone anyway? I see that term being used a lot but never a good explanation.

Digital to me is like a old crate solid state head. or a metal zone pedal. Lots of people who cant get what they are looking for use the term for some reason.

Digital to me is like a old crate solid state head. or a metal zone pedal. Lots of people who cant get what they are looking for use the term for some reason.

Interestingly, neither of those two examples are "digital". Solid-state, yes, but not digital.

The way I look at it is that 'fizz' and 'digital' are two separate entities but one can influence the other or at least the user perception.

For example...

Some real-world tube amps have a certain fizz but it would be incorrect to say they sounded digital when they are pure analogue.

Some (poor quality) modellers (in other words not anything Fractal) may have inherent issues in their modelling approach or implementation and hence as a result of this they introduce an un-natural 'fizz' which leads to people complaining that digital = fizz.

Not sure if this makes sense to anybody, but it makes sense to me :)

Great question. Until we know what the Op's definition of digital is, then we're just spinning our wheels. Got to get on same page because some people may use the word and mean something different than what we define it as.

Addressing digital for a moment then leaving it where it is, the OP was maybe getting into the CPU a little bit. Moving on...

With regard to the original clip:

Assuming amp blocks have been reset, it's probably important for a preset standpoint to talk about the ir being used. You're going to want the Misha cab pack and you'll get closer.

Everything after that is pickups and EQ but mostly it's gonna be playing technique. To get the essence of how those guys play your attack is going to have to be much more aggressive. The example was very legato with respect to the sound and the genre. They dig in to the low strings with a heavy staccato attack, so much so that the pitch of the low notes goes a bit sharp as the strings are stretched before being released (a not often talked about component of the technique). You're not mad enough about ticket or merch sales LOL. "Remain Indoors" intro section attack is a particularly good example of this.

Big fat nasty pick attack in this case shapes tone as much if not more than anything else.

solid state and digital are two different things. Just because an amp or pedal is solid state does not mean its digital

Thanks for clearing that up. I can sleep tonight.

Digital sounding. Uggh. Those of us remember having to suffer old crappy “non tube” amps or first gen modelers know what I’m talking about and I’m not even the op. The op was trying to describe it, I was offering my opinion on what he meant.

OP here's a thread by another member that gets really, really close (of course he did go out and get a Misha Mansoor sig Jackson, so he's definitely got the pickup situation set):

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/periphery-zero-tone-test.120771/#post-1548393

Which leads to another point. Other people's presets are just that. They work in their rigs with their speakers with their FRFR or PA and cabs in their rooms, with their guitars/pickups/strings/setups and their technique. Yeah get in the neighborhood, but at some point you gotta get to (and in some ways accept) your own sound, because your tone comes from you and your playing which is a result of your brain using your hands to interact with your guitar to make your music (or someone else's music but it's gonna never gonna not sound like you).

Go forth and do great things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom