High gain squealing. Help pls.

Ruibelchior

Hi guys.

i'm experiencing a high pitch squeal after i mute the strings. This is happening to me live in loud situations.

i'm playing Pantera in a tribute band and i have a FHO setup.
Instrument I/O = 0
Preset level -16
Master 5.00
Im now using 2 noisegates (inteligent -55 and gate box) and i really have to set the gate box high. Like: tresh : -35 / Ration 2.5 / atack 1 / release 9.000. But still not tested live.
Gonna try it next friday (01/11)...

im using the Bill Lawrence l500xl into a washburn dime stealth.

I have a jackson with SD nazguls and im experiencing almost the same results.
last gig was awful because i had to reduce the volume knob of the guitar a bit and i lost my tone...

Is there anything that i can do ?

cheers and thank you in advance.

Last edited:
if the guitar "hears" the sound from speakers, this will happen in any setup, with microphones, pickups, anything.

maybe try to reduce some of the highs. but you need to avoid the guitar getting close to the speakers. you may have too much gain as well which makes feedback happen more easily.

Thank you Chris for your response.
Well yes. I have to do backing vocals and it sucks because of the monitors in front of me.
But im using wireless and i keep running away from feedback sopts on stage.
will try and turn down the gain a bit. Im using the severe 1. Not using drive to boost it, only the gain from the amp. Actually i "stole" the preset from ola englund video where he is making a preset for At The Gates.
just paused in the right spot and saw what he had in the haunted amp block.
Maybe he messed with the GEQ aswell and cut of some high frequencies.
But im gonna try next gig during sound check.

Thank you Chris for your response.
Well yes. I have to do backing vocals and it sucks because of the monitors in front of me.
But im using wireless and i keep running away from feedback sopts on stage.
will try and turn down the gain a bit. Im using the severe 1. Not using drive to boost it, only the gain from the amp. Actually i "stole" the preset from ola englund video where he is making a preset for At The Gates.
Maybe he messed with the GEQ aswell and cut of some high frequencies.
But im gonna try next gig during sound check.

He most likely tamed the high end in the cab block.

Actually i "stole" the preset from ola englund video where he is making a preset for At The Gates.

Are you talking about this video, right?

He begins with The Haunted preset, then he copy the preset to a new slot, change the preset name to At the gates, and then he tweaks the amp block, if you pause the video in 9:52 spot you can see the original cab block: this is Stereo ultrares and he is using the same impulse in both sides: Ola hesu M160-rev1

Ola shared this impulse in the Helix vs Ax8 comparison video:

You have the download link in the video description, try this impulse and see if this fixes the high end.

NOTE: In the dropbox link you have 2 folders, in the Ax8 folder there is a Ola hesu M160-rev1.syx file, but I use the Ola hesu M160-rev1.wav file that is in the Helix folder. There are little differences between both files, I find that the syx file sounds darker than the wav file, but I think that this is what you're after...Keep the file that works best to you!

Are you talking about this video, right?

He begins with The Haunted preset, then he copy the preset to a new slot, change the preset name to At the gates, and then he tweaks the amp block, if you pause the video in 9:52 spot you can see the original cab block: this is Stereo ultrares and he is using the same impulse in both sides: Ola hesu M160-rev1

Ola shared this impulse in the Helix vs Ax8 comparison video:

You have the download link in the video description, try this impulse and see if this fixes the high end.

NOTE: In the dropbox link you have 2 folders, in the Ax8 folder there is a Ola hesu M160-rev1.syx file, but I use the Ola hesu M160-rev1.wav file that is in the Helix folder. There are little differences between both files, I find that the syx file sounds darker than the wav file, but I think that this is what you're after...Keep the file that works best to you!

Damn!!! Yeah thats the video! I cannot post any url's yet because i'm new at the forum and need to reach 10 messages i think 😅.

i've copied the Haunted preset but never got the speaker IR. i'm using a 4x12 mesa.
definitely gonna try it right away.
I was thinking about the gain.
i've always used amps and im not used to modelers yet, but i've never used gain on 10 + boost on my engl invader II like he does in the preset.

very useful man! Tkanks alot !! 🤘

So, i've tried at home trough my monitors without noisegate block and with stock intelligent gate with the Ola hesu M160-rev1.syx by Ola Englund versus the the mesa 4x12 IR.

With the hesu I've noticed a huge drop in the high frequencies! And im glad to say this because it definitely helped with the squealing...
Droped a noisegate and good to go.
With the Mesa (without noisegate) I've experienced a lot more of the squeal.

i know what is natual feedback, but this sound like microphonic fb. These are hot pickups with lots of harmonics. And it squeals without being in front of cabs or monitors. I'm just trying to adapt them to the sounds that i need in the ax8 to play with it live with my pantera tribute band.

in my death metal band i use it live over and over again with my schecter 7strg Jeff Loomis (EMG pickups) and its allllll good. The emgs are quieter when it comes to unpleasant noise.

gonna try with my passives next Friday with ola's hesu and let you know !
Tnkx guys!

Last edited:
if it's squealing after you mute the strings, then it's microphonic feedback, not natural feedback, which is caused by extreme volume/gain/compression causing the pickups to vibrate. people usually solve this by "wax potting" their pickups, but a decent, well made pickup shouldn't be microphonic in the first place. as others have said, removing highs, lowering gain and staying away from vocal monitors that have your guitar in as well are all good ideas.

Everything is microphonic to some degree, even potted pickups.

If the pickups are well potted, the problem is usually that someone turned on the waytoomuchgain switch :)

Last edited:
if it's squealing after you mute the strings, then it's microphonic feedback, not natural feedback, which is caused by extreme volume/gain/compression causing the pickups to vibrate. people usually solve this by "wax potting" their pickups, but a decent, well made pickup shouldn't be microphonic in the first place. as others have said, removing highs, lowering gain and staying away from vocal monitors that have your guitar in as well are all good ideas.

yes. Actuallyi just put this bill lawrences after the gig. I was testing a dimebucker.
Yes they are microphonic as F*. But it worked with engl invader II and isp gate.

done all those things to prevent excess compression and excess gain.
reduced the gain, changed the IR and rolled back the highs.
Anyway, it seems that the bill lawrence is not so hot as the dimebucker.
it seems to work. Need to test the nazgul aswell.
Thnx guys.

So, i've tried at home trough my monitors without noisegate block and with stock intelligent gate with the Ola hesu M160-rev1.syx by Ola Englund versus the the mesa 4x12 IR.

With the hesu I've noticed a huge drop in the high frequencies! And im glad to say this because it definitely helped with the squealing...

Glad to help my friend!

Back
Top Bottom