High gain players - what's your amp of choice?

cataclysm

Inspired
In my Ultra days I was all about the Recto orange - everything else was pretty meh.

Now I'm using the A8, I am truly spoilt for choice! Wasn't a fan of the Mesa's this time. I first thought I was a shiva man, then it was all about the Friedman until a rehearsal proved it too be way too intense for me. I dabbled with the 5150 block thinking that was THE tone, and finally ended up with the gem that is the hot kitty (bad cat).

SO- What's your go to high gain amp?

So far the angle severe/engl savage. Probably because I owned one a while back so it's nostalgic. I also like the diezel ch4 blue for a spongy feel.

Haven't messed with much else but some of the marshals seem pretty sweet too. Haven't really found my tone in a mesa yet but it's what I was using last on the pod so I'm sure it's a matter of time.

Same here, Recto orange+Tube Screamer was my first choice in the old days.
Now I often stick to Angle severe or 5153 red.
Not always but sometimes I get good tones out of the current rectos when I turn down bass and choose the right cab. Maybe it's my lack of experience with the real version or my guitar/PUs, but I always have to dial out this annoying emphasis when palm muting around the low single G/A notes.

Edit: I find it easier to get my high gain tones since I use the Kalthallen cabs. They're little brighter than the stock ones and more my taste

Last edited:
As a high gain player, I look for an amp that can make the jump from rhythm tone to lead without only a volume block to increase my volume and some delay. So far, I like channel 4 of the Diezel VH4 Blue, and the Mesa Mark IIc+ with with Cliff's recommended settings as a starting point.

Realising that high gain is relative, I'll still put my self in that category. I really like the freidman and JVM tones (may be biased as have both physical heads). I was surprised at how much I liked the "plexi" tone from this thread. http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/cool-van-halen-preset-from-youtube-tutorials.108247/ I really like that tone (I turned the reverb off), It sounds nothing like a true plexi, but nether did EVH's tone so its ok, lol. So far my unit has only been used fully for recording, as I use my physical amps for live or practice, so I can't comment yet on high volume and ax8 only.

Same here, Recto orange+Tube Screamer was my first choice in the old days.
Now I often stick to Angle severe or 5153 red.
Not always but sometimes I get good tones out of the current rectos when I turn down bass and choose the right cab. Maybe it's my lack of experience with the real version or my guitar/PUs, but I always have to dial out this annoying emphasis when palm muting around the low single G/A notes.

Edit: I find it easier to get my high gain tones since I use the Kalthallen cabs. They're little brighter than the stock ones and more my taste
Can you elaborate on the Kathallen cabs a bit? "brightness" seems to be my one minor nitpic with the ax8 for the tones I like. Of course I can boost the frequency and it does make an improvement, but it still seems a bit artificial.

1. SLO100 really thick but bright as well so it cuts like a knife
2. The Triaxis Pre Amp Red model- I can lead with it without needing a boost
3. 6160. 6160+ or FAS 6160 just my kind of tone since I always gravitate towards 5150 sounds.

But my current faves are the ENGL Savage and Friedman HBE models. Leaning more towards a Thrash Marshall sound. The ENGL Savage is just so aggressive!

Can you elaborate on the Kathallen cabs a bit? "brightness" seems to be my one minor nitpic with the ax8 for the tones I like. Of course I can boost the frequency and it does make an improvement, but it still seems a bit artificial.
Correct, I could use an eq. Maybe it's better to say these cabs have the frequencies exactly right for my taste. They offer a sample of two IRs to try for free and I always return two these even after I bought the respective cab pack

Angle severe 1 is the very best high gain to me. 5153 Red is next. Brit pre with the FAS boost is good also.

Back
Top Bottom