High Gain Metal Tones Vs. Clean/slightly OD sounds

dumbeat

Inspired
Been using the FXIII for a week now, ive noticed the High Gain/Metal sounds are really good and also the majority of Axe FX users seem to be Metal players.

I am wondering if that has to do with the fact that extreme modern metal sounds are starting to be a bit "Synth" sounding anyway compared to a very clean and pure Electric guitar plugged into a normal Gain amp like a Fender or even a Plexi,

Do you feel that this fact makes the Axe FX, being a digital device, more appropriate and better sounding for Extreme high gain tones than Clean pure tones?

I have noticed that when i set an amp on slight overdrive break there are weird artifacts that do not exist in the analog world which resemble a ring modulator and are probably the result of the overtones when only on the verge of breakup are probably giving the digital binary realm some difficulty deciding how to quantize it.

Extreme clean and extreme gain are probably easier for the binary realm, however, this is exactly where a good amp is judged and why a dumble is so desirable... the king if slight breakup...

Any others noticed?

Last edited:
I live in the low/mid world gain most of the time and I don't find this at all.

As said above, I find the Axe Fx (II and III) excels at edge of break up tones.

You might consider Cooper Carter’s AxeIII master class. The AxeIII excels at edge of breakup tones. But like all other things, it does take some tweaking...

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...lass-with-cooper-carter-available-now.139623/

Add another vote for Cooper's Master Class. I'm in the middle of it now and even though I've used the Axe-Fx II for several years, I'm getting new info, ideas, and inspiration with each video.

And to get back OT, the Axe-Fx excels at edge of breakup tones once you learn to set them up. The weird artifacts and other oddities the OP is hearing are a good example of TG3K's Guitar Gear Maxim #1: Anything with more than three knobs has more bad settings than good settings. ;)

Been using the FXIII for a week now, ive noticed...the majority of Axe FX users seem to be Metal players.
This is a misconception that people sometimes bring with them when they’re new to the forum, but that usually gets dispelled once they’ve hung around for a while. It’s rare that someone thinks it after exposure to the forum.

Yes, there are plenty of metal folks here. Also plenty on of folks who don’t play metal.

I have more edge of breakup patches than you can shake a stick at. And I wouldn’t even consider buying a real amp unless it was for the sake of just to have one. But absolutely not out of any kind of necessity. It does it gloriously.

I was not going to share this because of the sloppy playing and the clipping. But I was so impressed with how this 10 minute patch sounded with minimal tweaking, I think it illustrates that the axe is pretty amazing at edge of break up...

Last edited:
I find it a lot easier to get incredible clean / slightly crunchy tones. Really great high gain tones take me longer.

Do yourself a favor and subscribe to Leon Todd’s YouTube channel.

Leon Todd is a game changer. The time he spends pulling the shroud off this amazing box is seriously priceless. You have entered a world where the odds of you exposing a flaw is pretty remote. Every question or concern you have can be solved with education. Welcome.

Back
Top Bottom