[HIGH GAIN] Low end tightening: T808 / TS808 / Tube Screamer

Hey guys,
I love to throw a T808 block in front of the 5150 model to tighten things up and have been pretty satisfied in terms of growl and cutting through, however, I tend to sometimes want to have that same sound, but with more low end growl for more sludgier stuff. The thing is, the standard low cut on the T808 is 697hz and when I try to dial that down, the mids tend to sound a little different, or well, a certain growl is missing. Compensating at the amp block's bass knob, low cut feature or thump feature just gives a loose low end which sounds too flubby.

Does anyone have some tips for this?

My setup is like this:
- Gibson Les Paul Custom (B Standard tuning)
- T808 : drive at 0.08 | level at 7.50 | tone at 7 |bass at -0.4dB | treble at + 0.7dB | low cut: 697hz
- 5150 model
- Peavey Classic 50/50 Power Amp
- Koch TS212 Cab

Any tips are welcome!

Last edited:
One option: Instead of a TS use a filter. A tube screamer with almost no drive is really being used as filter and level booster. Try a highpass filter and varying the cut off frequency to taste. You'll get some of the flubbiness pulled out without it messing with other frequencies or jacking with the level going into the preamp like you do with an OD used as a filter. If you still want the boost effect just up the output level of the filter. Sometimes I do this in preference of a drive pedal anyway. You can get really fancy with a PEQ but personally a simple filter has always been enough for me...

Back
Top Bottom