High gain, high notes dying

Guitarsolo

Inspired
Hey

I'm using the CA3+ and trying to get a high gain sweet lead. The past few months i've been experiencing high notes just dying. I am trying to have them sustain. They sustain with regular sounds, and other amp models. It's an embarrassing kind of thing. My solo builds up and i hit a high e and bend it to f#, for example, and it just dies.
I've tried everything i know. Turned off the noise gate. Had a compressor on, then off. Tried messing with the frequencies in the amp and speaker. Changed mics, distance of mic. CF compressor, negative feedback, power amp volume....everything i know how to do. Notes are just dying.
I have been using a different guitar. But still hum bucker. Happens on both the bridge and neck, both hum buckers.
Any ideas? Different amp models?
I'm using the Boogie 80s cab. Looking for like a Santana kind of thing to start with.
Thanx!

Since the problem is not with other amp models, that will pretty much rule everything but the amp model or setting of the amp block. Try cranking the master volume, helps with sustain with some models.

Hey

I'm using the CA3+ and trying to get a high gain sweet lead. The past few months i've been experiencing high notes just dying. I am trying to have them sustain. They sustain with regular sounds, and other amp models. It's an embarrassing kind of thing. My solo builds up and i hit a high e and bend it to f#, for example, and it just dies.
I've tried everything i know. Turned off the noise gate. Had a compressor on, then off. Tried messing with the frequencies in the amp and speaker. Changed mics, distance of mic. CF compressor, negative feedback, power amp volume....everything i know how to do. Notes are just dying.
I have been using a different guitar. But still hum bucker. Happens on both the bridge and neck, both hum buckers.
Any ideas? Different amp models?
I'm using the Boogie 80s cab. Looking for like a Santana kind of thing to start with.
Thanx!

Try with the Thorn ir combined with ir #84 (Div13). Sings like a mf with all of my guitars (SC, P90 and HB)
MV around 6.7, mid 7-8... Drive to taste.. Not Santana. More of a Lukather thingy though.
Run the null mic if you want. I think i do. (Rolls of some high, and adds some bottom end)

For Santana you need much more mid and another amp. But the CAE cuts like hell. Love that amp.

My imho, of course.

Check the settings on the gate, make sure it isn't choking your sound.

Hey
I've tried everything i know. Turned off the noise gate...!

Probably not a gate issue if it's still happening when it's turned off.

I'd check your intonation and tuning. Bad tuning can cause notes to die out faster.

They sustain with regular sounds, and other amp models....

This would imply it's not his guitar, but something to do with the CA3+ amp model.

You guys read his whole post before trying to help him, right? ;) :mrgreen ;)

I adjusted action higher last week. Pickups are sorta high. I had adjusted pole pieces but not over all pu height. You think having p ups further from strings will help w sustain ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! The magnetic field plays havoc with strings. It can cause all types of sustain issues and tuning issues (yes tuning issues). Search the net for Stratitis. It happens mostly with single coil pickups, but HB too close to the strings can cause a multitude of problems. Of course when you lower the pickups, you will need to compensate for the lower guitar output by increasing the input level in the Axe.

Action is too low. Poor intonation cause note oscillation, instead of ringing true. Probably a contributory factor.

Or pickup(s) too close to the strings.

as I was reading this thread, pup height was the first thing that occurred to me [given that the gate had been ruled out etc]..

@Guitarsolo: the magnetism from the pup's pole pieces will have a stronger effect the closer to the strings they are..
too close, and they'll actually inhibit the string's ability to vibrate freely..
try knocking a mm or 2 off the height..
be sure to check the height of both the bridge and neck pup when you fret strings on high frets too..
you may find that just one of them is a little high

One thing that pops out at me though as I read the first post is it only happens with this amp. Based on the OP's statement that "They sustain with regular sounds, and other amp models" it seems that he is only having issues with this amp and nothing else. So is it really his guitar or something with the amp model? OP, are you having issues with just this amp or other hi-gain amps doing that same thing? Do you have more then one guitar and if so, is the amp model doing the same thing with those? I just tried the CA3+ and I am not having any issues with sustain.

Back
Top Bottom