High Gain Dizzy 10.06 sounded horrible until...

Have you tried plugging your Axe-Fx into the effects return of your 5150, then turning the Axe's Sag control to 0 to disable the poweramp? In other words, use your 5150 as a poweramp only, and the Axe as a preamp section only.

A good way to figure out exactly where discrepancies are is to narrow down as many variables as possible. This might help that.

Also, I wonder how much variance there is between 1 5150 and the next. If you took two 5150s off the line at Peavey and A/B'd them, how different would they sound with the same settings?

I did that also to try and rule stuff out but its way worse doing that. The axefx is so full of honky midrange that they aren't remotely close to each other. You really have to start going crazy tweaking everything just using its preamp section to drive the 5150. The Peavey's don't sound different like Marshall do coming off the line. They pretty much sound all the same.

I did that also to try and rule stuff out but its way worse doing that. The axefx is so full of honky midrange that they aren't remotely close to each other. You really have to start going crazy tweaking everything just using its preamp section to drive the 5150. The Peavey's don't sound different like Marshall do coming off the line. They pretty much sound all the same.

Something must be wrong with your unit. I recommend contacting support and sending it in for a checkup.

Could you post a clip of your Axe sound in comparison to the real amp? Something may not be set right in your Axe patch since you seem to be the only one complaining. You did not use AxeEdit to dial the patch in, did you?

I recorded this really quickly with both the axefx and the 5150 set the exact same. Just set up 2 SM57's on my Mesa cab and ran a quick stem of the same riff with the same everything. Setting are just all at noon and the real 5150 comes in at half way. There is a pretty big difference in the 2 and an even bigger difference in front of the cab with your ears. The 5150 isnt bad sounding or anything. Like I said, it is my main amp model in the axefx but it just doesnt match up with the real amp that well. As you can tell the axe has less gain, way too honky midrange and not as open in the high end.

Last edited:
Yeah I did a similar thread a while back...I never could really get the gain it should have without a boost

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...s-mimic-clone-gain-taper-well-besides-eq.html

https://soundcloud.com/animaltunes/gain-test

this amp did get remimiced AFAIK but I haven't updated yet so maybe its ok (at least by my definiton lol) now

Your clip doesn't sound horrible but it does sound different and not close to the gain levels

Yep, your clip is the same as mine.

Are you sure about this. Cause Version 10 has been matched exactly with how the real amps are,so how is the EQ different.
In V10.06, the models are actually closer to the amp than the actual amps themselves.
Ampception....

I understand your frustration symphx. I had to do the same thing with the new mesas and I'm struggling way more to get my old sounds back than I have in previous upgrades. It's been worth the effort for me though, everything is sounding killer as usual.

Could you post a clip of your Axe sound in comparison to the real amp? Something may not be set right in your Axe patch since you seem to be the only one complaining. You did not use AxeEdit to dial the patch in, did you?

Posted the clip and there is a huge difference in the sounds with the exact same settings. I'm not the only one complaining either. I'm just stating I have the exact amp that is supposed to be modeled and its not close to the same.

Have you tried plugging your Axe-Fx into the effects return of your 5150, then turning the Axe's Sag control to 0 to disable the poweramp? In other words, use your 5150 as a poweramp only, and the Axe as a preamp section only.

A good way to figure out exactly where discrepancies are is to narrow down as many variables as possible. This might help that.

Also, I wonder how much variance there is between 1 5150 and the next. If you took two 5150s off the line at Peavey and A/B'd them, how different would they sound with the same settings?

+1

I'm finding that the preamp sections of real tube amps and the AF2 sound super close but the poweramp sections are what are causing all my issues. Could this be because preamp tubes last longer than poweramp tubes, so preamp tubes sound more consistent than power amp tubes? Also, I don't know if because of where I live and how the weather changes practically by the hour that tube amps sound different every time I use them? I really wish the AMP Block was separated into a PREAMP Block and POWERAMP Block. I've gone to Guitar Center and tried out many of the same models and they all sounded different even with the same settings, so even real tube amps aren't consistent. My Mesa Boogie TriAxis & 2:90 tone changes the warmer it gets.

How do any of you tube freaks survive after changing tubes because my tone has always changed? That's why I like the consistency of my AF2 even if it doesn't sound just like the real amp.

Here's my 5150 compared to the model:
www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/5150_block.mp3

This is pretty much exact .if this can be done with a cab and real 57 micing it I would say spot on.

There does seem to be issues with people using real cabs, if time permits ,Cliff at some point maybe you could mic up one your cabs with a 57 and tweak or run through 5 or 6 of the amps, to show how its done
and then we can learn through your presets

This is pretty much exact .if this can be done with a cab and real 57 micing it I would say spot on.

There does seem to be issues with people using real cabs, if time permits ,Cliff at some point maybe you could mic up one your cabs with a 57 and tweak or run through 5 or 6 of the amps, to show how its done
and then we can learn through your presets

That was a real cab and, in fact, an SM57.

Back
Top Bottom