High gain amps sound flubby and muddy

Hey guys

All amps I'm trying become flubby, muddy and lifeless. I've tried different guitars, tunings, pickups, cables, firmwares, patches from the exchange forum, amps and cabs. It seems like there is no definition even with not too low tunings.
Noise gate is only tight with high ratios (10 and over) and low threshold (-35db).
I've recorded a quick test using the axe fx as an interface.
There is a drive block (T808 MOD), amp (5153 Red) and cab (4x12 German Boutique). All parameters by default and firmware 15.
In my patches I use less gain but there is a lack of definition no matter what i try.

https://soundcloud.com/alex-110/axe-fx-2

My guitar is a LTD MHB-400 with SD AHB-1.
What I am doing wrong?

given the limitless number of recording that are the opposite, it's obviously not a problem in the unit. post the patch you are using.

Seems like your are going for the super high gain stuff, maybe try looking up kostein's high gain showcases, or search for high gain threads

The thing here is your not doing anything wrong, your just chasing a sound, and to get that sound in your head you'll have to try a lot of things or try to intellectualize what your doing a bit

I guarantee if you just pulled that stuff off the wall at a shop and hooked it up the same way, you would be destroying your sound just the same

Firmware updated to 16.02 and same results :mrgreen

It sounds that super high gain with drive at noon. The lack of clarity is there even if I lower the drive knob.

It still sounds muddy with all high gain amps i've tried trying different input gains.

Thanks for the answers guys!

FAS Modern with Ultra-Res Cali 4x12. It's really hard to mess that up.

Lo cut in cab block to 100 Hz- no matter what cab.

Ts808 in front with 0-1.5 gain

Hit Bass cut switch in amp block

Get better headphones/monitors/FRFR.

If any or all of these suggestions don't help, then you're probably using a Kemper. Just sayin.

Did you set your axe input correctly with whatever guitar you're using?

Post a preset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely sounds like there's too much gain in that clip. That will muddy up your recording for sure.

I was never able to bond with those German 4x12 cabs. They were always too low end heavy and thumpy to me. The cab IR plays a huge role. I'd suggest experimenting with different IR's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

definitely experiment with IR's and don't use the 808mod. beyond that, posting your patch is the quickest way to get to the bottom of it....

Why are you putting a TS808 Mod in front of a 5153 Red? That amp has tons of gain to begin with. Then you're adding a Tube Screamer that has been modified for mid-gain applications, typically used with a clean or slightly driven amp.

Right! I used to put a Maxon Od808 in front my old Rectifier (sold a few months ago to buy this unit) and thought i will get same results. ;) Thanks!

Another approach that might interest you, is get 2 respectable high gain amps pan 75% left and right, with 2 cabs, add pepper and salt to taste

However id suggest reducing the degrees of freedom first and try something simpler to start of with and see how it sounds in a mix before goign all mad scientist

If you really want that drive box in front, turn down it drive to zero, and keep Level under 8.
Then in the Amp, set Drive no higher than 2-3.

Using outdated firmware.
Yeh. 15 was utter shite. I can't believe we actually survived playing that FW. The sheer harmonic congruelence still makes stuff come running out of me from all sides just thinking of it. After my third visit in one week to have my intestines untangled my internist forbade me to use that FW.

You might consider turning down the gain a tad.

Last edited:
Aside from stratospheric gain and joking, what are you monitoring your tone through? Makes quite a difference.

When you say that all parameters are at default, does that mean that the bass, middle, treble, presence are untouched by you?

In that case I have a question.

Would you go to a music store and test amps without touching the knobs?

Back
Top Bottom