RCF NX M10-A
KV2 EX10
KV2 EX12
EAW NT29
Meyer UPJ-1P
Tannoy VNET12
L-Acoustics 108P
L-Acoustics 112P

All of these units seem to exhibit excellent measurements, and rave reviews on sound. Just curious if anybody has used these with the Axe-FX. Most of the units above are priced higher than the Axe-FX!

Updated the list above with some other monitors I have found interesting ...

I don't know about the others, but I tried to purchase the eaw nt29 and was told that they had delivery problems and my local dealer was not going to be carrying them because they couldn't count on a timely delivery. I did hear that they were great, but have not been able to locate one.

I'd love to see some independent tests on high-end FRFRs including a test on sustained SPLs. I've mentioned this in other threads, but I have a strong suspicion that published SPLs cannot be sustained for very long with many powered monitors - good for transients, yes, but also misleading. I'm relatively happy with my RCF322A but the limiter does seem to kick in early and take a while to release.

There's an old thread around here somewhere giving a glowing recommendation on the Coda 12", so would be good to include that also.

Get the L-acoustic 1x12. Their stuff sounds smokin', but at 70lbs, you may want to reconsider. Get it anyway. That way I'll know someone that actually uses one. No one I know can afford one. Heck, none of my close musician friends can afford axe-fx's!

Take a look at meyer or Nexxo. There's a bunch of others out there too.

*edit* I just noticed EAW posted their digital latency--cool. Maybe you should pick that one up. However, I'm a fan of the coaxial and that L-acoustics 1x12 has a 3 inch driver behind the high end on that coaxial. Kinda the best of both worlds for dispersion and quality.

Nexxo uses ribbons for their high end...crazy stuff, but you need separate power amps.
Anyway, good luck and have fun

I'm really glad to see this thread. I'm also looking for a higher fidelity solution, like alchemist.

I know the Tannoy PowerV8 was cited in another thread as being underpowered. However, the PowerV12 (120dB average / 126dB peak SPL) or the Power12HP (124/130 SPL) should be loud enough (I hope!). I suspect the VNET12 is the same core package as the one of the Power12 series but without the additional control and a lower price.

I'm still hoping for a lighter monitor, say in the 20 - 35 pound range. The stage levels I have to play in are 100db, probably a lot less than many of you, so I don't need a 12" package for SPL's. The RCF TT08A looks interesting to me.

I guess another approach to address weight is to go with something like a Tannoy V12 (unpowered version of above) and put a separate power amp in the AxeFX rack.

Terry.

Tone Seeker said:
I'm really glad to see this thread. I'm also looking for a higher fidelity solution, like alchemist.

I know the Tannoy PowerV8 was cited in another thread as being underpowered. However, the PowerV12 (120dB average / 126dB peak SPL) or the Power12HP (124/130 SPL) should be loud enough (I hope!). I suspect the VNET12 is the same core package as the one of the Power12 series but without the additional control and a lower price.

I'm still hoping for a lighter monitor, say in the 20 - 35 pound range. The stage levels I have to play in are 100db, probably a lot less than many of you, so I don't need a 12" package for SPL's. The RCF TT08A looks interesting to me.

I guess another approach to address weight is to go with something like a Tannoy V12 (unpowered version of above) and put a separate power amp in the AxeFX rack.

Terry.

I think it's other way around with the VNET12 and Power12. The VNET series is the one with the DSP/EQ control via ethernet and is likely more expensive than the Power series. At least, based on features and specs -- it is better, so my guess is it's more expensive. :)

I am also looking for something in the 25-30 lb range. The RCF TT08A or something from KV2 would be great. Too bad KV2 doesn't make an EX8 -- only an EX10 which weighs ~48 lbs. :(

alchemist said:
I think it's other way around with the VNET12 and Power12. The VNET series is the one with the DSP/EQ control via ethernet and is likely more expensive than the Power series. At least, based on features and specs -- it is better, so my guess is it's more expensive. :)
I knew that! I made an edit before I posted and I must have read it sideways! :lol:

alchemist said:
I am also looking for something in the 25-30 lb range. The RCF TT08A or something from KV2 would be great. Too bad KV2 doesn't make an EX8 -- only an EX10 which weighs ~48 lbs. :(
I was looking at the same ones last night. Do you know of anyone who carriers either of these in Canada? Yes, 48lbs is beyond what I really want to haul around.

Terry.

Tone Seeker said:
I don't need a 12" package for SPL's. The RCF TT08A looks interesting to me.

I'm very happy with my pair of TT08a's.
Their output is amazing for the size/weight. I use them for my Axe-Fx but I've also used them as tops over a couple of 18" subs and used that setup to run a complete band through them. Sounds great.

Sorry, I cannnot compare them directly to the others on your list. I've used the KV2 10" as fills with a d&b pa system and in that setup they worked fine but have not really heard them on their own. I have no experience with the other models mentioned in this thread.

S.R.

srooijens said:
Their output is amazing for the size/weight. I use them for my Axe-Fx but I've also used them as tops over a couple of 18" subs and used that setup to run a complete band through them. Sounds great.
Awesome! It's great to hear from someone who has these.

Can you comment on how flat / uncoloured they are, or the kind of detail they exhibit? My quest is for a FRFR monitor that is (ideally) as uncoloured as a studio monitor (yet rugged and capable of gig levels).

Terry.

srooijens said:
Tone Seeker said:
I don't need a 12" package for SPL's. The RCF TT08A looks interesting to me.

Sorry, I cannnot compare them directly to the others on your list. I've used the KV2 10" as fills with a d&b pa system and in that setup they worked fine but have not really heard them on their own. I have no experience with the other models mentioned in this thread.

S.R.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been researching these, and they look great. Do you know how well they compare to the RCF NX M10-A? Specs looks similar, though the NX is a 10" speaker. Like Tone Seeker, I am looking for a PA monitor (in stereo) that can mimic a good near field monitor (flat response, though I can sacrifice some low-end, uncolored), and be < 35 lbs. It doesn't have to be super loud, but rugged for gigs.

GM Arts said:
Neither the Tannoy Power12HP nor the RCF TT 12" appear to have a particularly flat response.

Maybe someone with lots of money could engage Jay professionally to build the ultimate guitar FRFR? :D

GM Arts said:
Neither the Tannoy Power12HP nor the RCF TT 12" appear to have a particularly flat response.

The TT022A looks not too bad -- I see a dip between 1-2K and the dropoff close to 20K. But take a look at the response of the Tannoy VNET12 HP (65 - 23 k +/- 2dB). That looks as flat as I have seen so far. But it's probably extremely expensive. :-(

What I have found is that if I use the freq response of the speaker as a base, I can use the Axe-FX global EQ to compensate for the deficiencies somewhat, and get it to sound closer to reference monitors. There are still all sorts of room effects and such, but it does get it closer.

GM Arts said:
[quote="GM Arts":21v8b8jv]Neither the Tannoy Power12HP nor the RCF TT 12" appear to have a particularly flat response.

Maybe someone with lots of money could engage Jay professionally to build the ultimate guitar FRFR? :D[/quote:21v8b8jv]

Perhaps Jay can chime in and make some suggestions on some commercially available PA monitors that would come close to an excellent FRFR system. At least one that would be faithful to the Axe-FX, not weigh a ton and take a huge amount of space. I would be willing to sacrifice some low-end, but not the mid or highs.

alchemist said:
GM Arts said:
[quote="GM Arts":2v5jkcth]Neither the Tannoy Power12HP nor the RCF TT 12" appear to have a particularly flat response.

Maybe someone with lots of money could engage Jay professionally to build the ultimate guitar FRFR? :D

Perhaps Jay can chime in and make some suggestions on some commercially available PA monitors that would come close to an excellent FRFR system. At least one that would be faithful to the Axe-FX, not weigh a ton and take a huge amount of space. I would be willing to sacrifice some low-end, but not the mid or highs.[/quote:2v5jkcth] I've never seen him do that, or if he did, I missed it.

solo-act said:
alchemist said:
[quote="GM Arts":1e3ilktu]Maybe someone with lots of money could engage Jay professionally to build the ultimate guitar FRFR? :D

Perhaps Jay can chime in and make some suggestions on some commercially available PA monitors that would come close to an excellent FRFR system. At least one that would be faithful to the Axe-FX, not weigh a ton and take a huge amount of space. I would be willing to sacrifice some low-end, but not the mid or highs.
I've never seen him do that, or if he did, I missed it.[/quote:1e3ilktu]

I believe this is not likely to happen, for a number of reasons. As a loudspeaker manufacturer, Jay's company may not be interested in the commercial promotion of competitors' products. Also, it's probable that the Axe-Fx user community does not represent a large enough market to interest Jay's firm in making the development investment for production of a personal monitoring system that is at once highly-accurate, sufficiently powerful, and conveniently portable - at a price point that Axe-Fx users would find palatable. Finally, Jay's company is focused in a different direction - they manufacture a line of loudspeakers for use in installed sound systems. The company's products cover applications including corporate boardroom conferencing and presentation systems; studio monitoring; music and speech reinforcement in religious, academic, and performing arts facilities; cinema sound; and sports arenas and stadia.

xrist04 said:
I believe this is not likely to happen, for a number of reasons. As a loudspeaker manufacturer, Jay's company may not be interested in the commercial promotion of competitors' products.
I really don't care that folks here are buying speakers manufactured by my competitors. I don't comment on what's out there because I pay no attention to what's out there. Identifying a suitable FRFR monitor for my purposes has been a closed subject since well before I bought my Axe-Fx. What others may or may not find suitable is another matter.

Also, it's probable that the Axe-Fx user community does not represent a large enough market to interest Jay's firm in making the development investment for production of a personal monitoring system that is at once highly-accurate, sufficiently powerful, and conveniently portable - at a price point that Axe-Fx users would find palatable.
So far, I see no evidence that any manufacturer has produced such a product, nor do I think such a product is likely ever to appear. Of the above criteria - loud, accurate, portable, and cheap - you will at most find three satisfied by available commercial products.

Back
Top Bottom