High End Footcontroller: Advantages over Basic One?

aleclee

Power User
Right now I'm using my POD XTL as my foot controller. The way I'm using it, I get the following features:
  • Patch Change (32 banks of 4)[/*:m:1ew9rukr]
  • Two virtual continuous IAs (single pedal switches between wah and volume modes)[/*:m:1ew9rukr]
  • Four IAs (stompbox switches) + tap tempo[/*:m:1ew9rukr]

Given the limited duty it's seen so far, here's what I find wanting using the XTL as a footcontroller:
  • Bigger/heavier than I'd like[/*:m:1ew9rukr]
  • PITA to manually enter patch names & stompbox states[/*:m:1ew9rukr]
  • No phantom power [/*:m:1ew9rukr]

I realize that something like a GCP or higher device like a LF Pro, Gordius LG, or mythical MFC would address some if not of those issues but I find myself wondering what I'm overlooking that might make them even more useful. Aside from more IAs, tuner display, and easy sync of patch names & state, what makes them particularly more useful than a basic unit like a MidiMate or FCB? Just so you know, the footcontroller would only be only controlling the Axe-Fx. I don't currently have any other MIDI gear to control.

Thanks!

I have a couple of controllers chained which ends up
acting like "big" controller (just not as convenient).
I use one to select presets and the other to turn
individual effects on and off within the preset. In
short, I have 10 virtual pedalboards, each with an
individual on/off for boost, delay, modulation, drive,
and a spare for things like trem, rotovibe, filters, etc.

I also have switches for tuner on/off, and tap tempo.

I'm thinking about a liquidfoot because it would do
the same thing but 1) add more switches for other
"stuff" (I'm sure I can come up with something), 2)
take up less floor space, 3)speed setup time, 4)
eliminate about 5 extra cables, 5) eliminate complexity
and multiple opportunities for problems.

Just my $.02

pneil

xrist04 said:
In two words - options and flexibility.
Can you elaborate on how one might take advantage of those options and flexibility? How does it change the way you use a high-end controller compared to the way I describe using my XTL?

Hi Aleclee:

Say, I'm pretty new to MIDI, and I think I'm going to wait for the mythical MFC, but when you get some time, could you please explain how you go about using the XTL to control the AXE? That would work for me while I'm waiting, and get me started on the MIDI controller learning curve.

Thanks a lot.

Don Frantz

theblogjammers said:
Say, I'm pretty new to MIDI, and I think I'm going to wait for the mythical MFC, but when you get some time, could you please explain how you go about using the XTL to control the AXE? That would work for me while I'm waiting, and get me started on the MIDI controller learning curve.
First the easy stuff: The XTL sends patch change messages when you change patches. Go figure! :eek:

I then put the Axe into learning mode and assign the AMP, STOMP, MOD, and DELAY buttons to EXT 1-4. I assign the tap tempo button to the Axe's tap function. Finally, I assign the Volume and Wah controllers and toggling (so switching modes turns them on/off). Learning mode makes all that a piece of cake.

Back to my original inquiry, I can turn four things on/off per patch, control my Volume and Wah (though not at the same time), change patches, and do tap tempo. Other than more IAs, I'm not clear what I'd be getting by dropping $3-800 on a dedicated MIDI controller. "Flexibility and options" are all well and good but I'd like to understand how I might take advantage of those features before deciding to plunk down my hard-earned cash. Over the years I've spent an awful lot of money buying gear with features I might someday need but never used. These days I prefer to hold on to my money until I have a practical use for flexibility and options. :geek:

I'm using a combination of Behringer FCB1010 with Uno and a Behringer BCF2000. I'm contemplating a Liquid Foot Jr and am pretty sure I'll get one. Why? Flexibility. Size. Ease of use. Control. The Behringer FCB gives me 5 IAs, 2 expression pedals and 5 presets per bank. For the $, it's an awesome unit. I use the BCF for External control (usually to tweak drive and/or amp gain structures...also for depth of delay/trem) and am contemplating using it for more IAs.

Things I can imagine doing with LF Jr. Having a clean patch with 4 IAs on a preset. Hitting same preset pedal again, overdrive kicks on (maybe a little delay) and the 4 IAs switch to 4 different effects (or controls for a computer looper or the Axe looper). Or hit the 2 pedal combo to switch to 8 IAs while still on the preset. Could then control multiple loopers or have different IAs set pitch shift values or or or.

If you're happy with what you have, I say, "Use it". Use it until you find yourself wanting to do something you can't do with your current rig. I can think of things the LF Jr. would do for me that the Behringer doesn't and I also love that's it's really small and can be powered right off the Axe easily. Anything that can cut the size/weight of my Axe accessories makes it more easily useable and transportable which is huge for me.

MikeyB59 said:
If you're happy with what you have, I say, "Use it". Use it until you find yourself wanting to do something you can't do with your current rig. I can think of things the LF Jr. would do for me that the Behringer doesn't and I also love that's it's really small and can be powered right off the Axe easily.
I plan to stick with the XTL while I get familiar with the Axe-Fx. I'm just trying to get a handle on what the high-end controllers offer that people happily pay a multiple of a more basic unit like a GCP.

aleclee said:
MikeyB59 said:
If you're happy with what you have, I say, "Use it". Use it until you find yourself wanting to do something you can't do with your current rig. I can think of things the LF Jr. would do for me that the Behringer doesn't and I also love that's it's really small and can be powered right off the Axe easily.
I plan to stick with the XTL while I get familiar with the Axe-Fx. I'm just trying to get a handle on what the high-end controllers offer that people happily pay a multiple of a more basic unit like a GCP.

I think most people are paying for having more IA switches available at onetime in order to setup virtual pedalboards. If you are primarily just doing patch changes that becomes less interesting. I'm using a Midimate at the moment, and having 5 patch changes and 5 IA's is more than sufficient for me. Sure a tuner would be nice, but not for an extra $500. I used the XTL at first too, and it was fine, but the Midimate is smaller and phantom powered, but still pretty cheap.

If you look around there are middle-of-the-road boards you can use too. The Behringer one comes to mind. And the Lexicon R1 I have is sort of middle-of-the-road. I've got 10 patch switches that double as 10 IAs. Plus three extra IAs always available (the Bypass button which I have assigned to tuner, and the A/B button I have assigned to global bypass, and the tap tempo button I have assigned to global tap tempo). And there's the expression pedal and under that another IA you can tap with the toe down position of the pedal.

It's far from being a Big Boy pedal. But it ain't a Little Guy pedal either. It doesn't send CC messages on patch changes so if you use the IAs on one patch their state isn't the same when you switch to a new patch. But still: ain't bad for $75. The switches are known to go sour on them, but they're not too hard to replace (and cheap...just Tact switches, maybe $0.50/each).

Back
Top Bottom