Hierarchy of Pre-fx

Adinfinitum

Experienced
I've been playing guitar for 35 years and would like some opinions on this. I know there are no absolute rules when it comes to order of Fx before the preamp, but in general

Noise gate
Compressor
Wah

Now here is my main question, which goes before the other most of the time

Boost/OD or

Mod Fx (phaser, chorus, flanger, trem)

I know these can go post preamp (FX loop) but generally, I like mods before the preamp.

What sayeth you.

My typical chain in the Fractal would be:

wah -> drive -> comp -> phase / vibe -> peq -> amp -> peq -> cab -> geq -> chorus -> rotary -> delay -> reverb

I don't have every block in every preset but that is my typical order.

Explanation:
- the wah block sounds better to me first
- I prefer compression after drive (with my analog rig too) I like playing the pick dynamics into a drive pedal. In the Fractal I don't use compression as much as with my analog rig either.
- phase shifter and univibe sound better to me before the amp.
- I often use pre and post eq to influence the amp character. I prefer explicit blocks so it's easy for me to activate / deactivate vs. using the amp block geq as one of them.
- the geq after the cab block is to boost mids and levels when I want to make the preset louder with a footswitch. It's not a boost because it doesn't change the amp distortion.
- the Fractal chorus's are lush. Much prefer those post amp.
- the delay and reverb have more clarity post amp for what I like

My typical chain in the Fractal would be:

wah -> drive -> comp -> phase / vibe -> peq -> amp -> peq -> cab -> geq -> chorus -> rotary -> delay -> reverb

I don't have every block in every preset but that is my typical order.

Explanation:
- the wah block sounds better to me first
- I prefer compression after drive (with my analog rig too) I like playing the pick dynamics into a drive pedal. In the Fractal I don't use compression as much as with my analog rig either.
- phase shifter and univibe sound better to me before the amp.
- I often use pre and post eq to influence the amp character. I prefer explicit blocks so it's easy for me to activate / deactivate vs. using the amp block geq as one of them.
- the geq after the cab block is to boost mids and levels when I want to make the preset louder with a footswitch. It's not a boost because it doesn't change the amp distortion.
- the Fractal chorus's are lush. Much prefer those post amp.
- the delay and reverb have more clarity post amp for what I like

...interesting. I've always had any drive just prior the amp. I will be experimenting with these Fractal chains. Thanks.

Hmmm, I'm waiting for Quantum 2.0 before I start creating my patches, but I think I will split the baby and have one drive before the mods and one after. Also put a chorus post as well. See what works best.

I have to say that my AX8 sounds better than my Axe2. No idea why, but I'm not complaining (for once).

I have to say that my AX8 sounds better than my Axe2. No idea why, but I'm not complaining (for once).

The AX8 amp modeling version is Quantum 1.03 so there is a difference. Could be you prefer the older version of Quantum? Either that, or it's your imagination. When I sold the AxeII, it was on 1,06. I preferred the AxeII but sold it knowing that the AX8 will eventually catch up.

In contrast to the above, I prefer phase/vibe before the drive. Sounds much better that way to my ears.

I agree with this but never use the drive block and vibe at the same time.

The univibe especially sounds great but can be a little finicky. I almost always have the vibe only activated pre-amp (and my shape eq).

Back
Top Bottom