Hi looper-guys, need your help

rolidoc

Inspired
I'm having trouble with the looper to start and stop record just in time in a live setup playin an eighth note figure. I 'm using the looper function with my MFC. Any advices not to loose the groove? Or do I have to increase practice time for the looper?

I'm having trouble with the looper to start and stop record just in time in a live setup playin an eighth note figure. I 'm using the looper function with my MFC. Any advices not to loose the groove? Or do I have to increase practice time for the looper?

Perhaps a stupid question, but are you using the quantize function in the looper block? For me, it's impossible to get the timing exactly correct without it.
-
Austin

Hi Austin, no stupid question. Yes I ve tried the quantization function but I 'm not sure if I do it right. The problem for me is the point where I stop the record and start the loop. Often there's a hook in the groove. Sorry for my bad english, hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

I think you're saying that the end of the loop doesn't smoothly go to the beginning. Perhaps a bit of a gap or glitch? I'd suggest you make sure you're hitting the "play" button on the downbeat of beat 1. Try playing a really simple phrase and practice til you get a seemless loop.

It's a talent to get a perfect loop. I broke down and got an infinity looper and midi sync'd it to the beat buddy.

Quantize helps a lot with the length of the loop, however you still have to start the loop right on the beat for it to line up correctly. This part just takes practice. Also, for Quantize to work correctly, you always have to tap in the tempo to match the song you are playing before you start the loop (or use an external MIDI clock source). If the Axe's tempo isn't in sync with the song, it will trim the loop to the wrong point. There is also a record beats parameter that lets you preset the loop length to a certain number of beats. Again though you must start the loop right on the beat for best results. Practice using the built in metronome. The clicks are not recorded as part of the loop.

Another thing to keep in mind is the controller you are using to trigger the looper. Some controllers send their messages when the button is released as opposed to when it is pressed. This can make it more difficult to get the timing right. The feel of the buttons can affect it too. Buttons that have a hard click can be tougher to hit exactly in time compared to soft touch buttons too since the first contact of the click can throw off your feel.

check out this video starting at 20:12. many people have issue with the concept of where to start and stop the loop, rather than their actual foot press. i do suggest listening to my full explanation, and not skip ahead.

Thank you all. The solution is simple as possible. Start the loop right on the beat. My fault was that I thought to start just a little bit early to compensate a possible delay of the switch so I got a gap just at the beginning of the loop. After a little practice time I have fun with the looper.

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom