Implemented Hi/Lo Cut for each IR slot in the Cab Block

York Audio

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Having individual High and Low Cut controls for each IR slot would help tremendously in fine tuning your cab sound. Different from a master high/low cut, it would allow you to hear only what you want from each mic. You could retain natural top end or low end from one mic while gently or aggressively cutting it from another mic giving you more flexibility in tailoring your tone.

Since “Mic Distance” and “Align” do the same thing, omitting “Mic Distance” from the Cab Page and adding individual high and low cuts (looking at Axe-Edit) would be fantastic.

I think it would be awesome to have that kind of IR blending flexibility without the permanence of a Cab Lab mix. Sometimes I find condensers to be a little raspy, or ribbons a tad boomy, or having the ability to cut the bookend frequencies and just blend in the midrange character from a particular mic.

@chris posted a video showing how Petrucci got his studio sound, which got me thinking about how cool it would be to tweak IR’s the same way without extensive EQ on each mic.

Since “Mic Distance” and “Align” do the same thing, omitting “Mic Distance” from the Cab Page and adding individual high and low cuts (looking at Axe-Edit) would be fantastic.

It still wouldn't fit. You'd need to remove TWO lines.

It still wouldn't fit. You'd need to remove TWO lines.
Then maybe cut smoothing from the individual slots and put it on the preamp page or somewhere for those who use it to smooth the overall mix?

Just looking at Axe Edit, nixing the Mic Distance and adding a knob is what I initially meant. If you don’t add a knob, you’d still have Level, Pan, Low Cut, High Cut, and Proximity.

Having that little bit of EQ flexibility per mic would make the experience more like mixing mic channels on a real cab. And that would be awesome.

+943728643632, this would blow the doors open on IR mixing capabilities, sweeping high and low pass filters to their audible sweet spot on an IR while another IR is running in parallel is like tonal unicorn milk, and the more the merrier... having filters on each slot would quite possibly bring guitar tone development to its 21st century close.

+943728643632, this would blow the doors open on IR mixing capabilities, sweeping high and low pass filters to their audible sweet spot on an IR while another IR is running in parallel is like tonal unicorn milk.

I do this in Cab Lab sometimes. I'd say it's just cow milk. In fact, it's not even organic grass-fed. It's just milk.
Unless I'm crazy, you can do the same thing as individual EQs as with one post EQ.

(A - B) + C = (A + C) - B.

Having individual High and Low Cut controls for each IR slot would help tremendously in fine tuning your cab sound. Different from a master high/low cut, it would allow you to hear only what you want from each mic. You could retain natural top end or low end from one mic while gently or aggressively cutting it from another mic giving you more flexibility in tailoring your tone.

Cab-Lab 3 has this feature.

I do this in Cab Lab sometimes. I'd say it's just cow milk. In fact, it's not even organic grass-fed. It's just milk.
Unless I'm crazy, you can do the same thing as individual EQs as with one post EQ.

(A - B) + C = (A + C) - B.
I think that's true only for the frequency domain, if for example the IRs contain lots of room reflections (or they're not min-phase and/or aligned) the difference should be evident.

Last edited:
Cab-Lab 3 has this feature.
Part of the wish is being able to tune the mix without it being permanent, along with being able to do it in real time without sending changes to the scratchpad in order to hear the edit.

Also, it means that you don’t have to be connected to Cab Lab on your computer to make an adjustment. You can be at soundcheck and use your front panel and say “ya know, my cab sounds awesome, but the 121 in the mix is a little boomy. I’m just gonna clean that up without taking away lows from the other mics.” Or maybe you want to take some sizzle out of a 421 without affecting the top end from the other mics in the mix. It’s just quicker and more immediate than opening Cab Lab, recreating the recipe or loading an old session, making a new mix, exporting it to the Axe, etc...

Having said that, Cab Lab is still an awesome tool that I use every day. I’m not knocking it by any means. Just making a wish.

One of my favorite things to do is use Waves Emo F2 filter on an IR, it's two filters in parallel (one on L one on R of the stereo bus), it does some voodoo when you bump the bookend frequencies just out of alignment with each other (misaligning the LR high and LR low)... it does some phasing stuff (subtle or drastic depending on how far you spread it) that floats boats and makes it easy to dial in the focus frequency real fast without having to go digging with a shovel like an audio gopher. Filters on each cab slot would be so awesome, everything in one spot.

273532.jpg

Last edited:
What would be the preferred slope? 6 or 12 dB/oct?

I’d think 12 dB/oct on the low and 6 dB/on the high, but I’m not picky. Just happy that you’re considering it.

If you’ve been able to put it into practice yet, do you have a preference?

A more aggressive low cut slope and subtle high cut slope may yield more natural results. Just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom