Hi guys

So guys, here's the story
Spent some time today with ax8 and at first I didn't knew what kind of setup to choose. Was used to work with 4CM with my previous eff.(g system) and had some doubts between going straight into the amp, or 4 cables methode.
My setup is PRS>Fractal>Mesa Boogie F30
First before I forget, does anybody also use normal guitar cables ( and not a trs ones...).
I saw many comments on those but frankly I thought before I buy this, first to try normal cables . Nothing special, just 3 klotz cables with neutrik plugs and vovox guitar cable to ax. I've tried only 4 C M and was very satisfied with sound , nothing strange, no hum or any other strange noises.
Had to set my fx level knob at 11 o'clock ( at mesa is this one adjustable from 10% up to 90%).
Didn't have that much time to start editing or looking at the manual, just run through the banks and presets and enjoyed the sounds.
For a traditional stomp boxes kinda guy is this like for an farmer winning the trip to the moon. I see that there will be lots of editing cause there are millions of possibilities...

So guys, here's the story
Spent some time today with ax8 and at first I didn't knew what kind of setup to choose. Was used to work with 4CM with my previous eff.(g system) and had some doubts between going straight into the amp, or 4 cables methode.
My setup is PRS>Fractal>Mesa Boogie F30
First before I forget, does anybody also use normal guitar cables ( and not a trs ones...).
I saw many comments on those but frankly I thought before I buy this, first to try normal cables . Nothing special, just 3 klotz cables with neutrik plugs and vovox guitar cable to ax. I've tried only 4 C M and was very satisfied with sound , nothing strange, no hum or any other strange noises.
Had to set my fx level knob at 11 o'clock ( at mesa is this one adjustable from 10% up to 90%).
Didn't have that much time to start editing or looking at the manual, just run through the banks and presets and enjoyed the sounds.
For a traditional stomp boxes kinda guy is this like for an farmer winning the trip to the moon. I see that there will be lots of editing cause there are millions of possibilities...

You can definitely get by on regular guitar cables. If you go full 4CM and you get noise then you might want to look into it. Going through the presets is cool. Remember if you find an effects setup in the preset or an amp block tone that sounds good, you can simply copy the block into a new preset. So, I suggest starting fresh, choose something easy to dial in (Mesa is notoriously finicky to dial right), maybe a Friedman? and go for it. Remember to turn off the power amp modeling if you're running thru your Mesa's power amp section and if you have a traditional cab don't use a cab block. You can dial in the pre-amp off the Mesa, set the Y block of the amp to a Fender Twin and you're in business. Add all the stomps you can fit....lol. I hardly use any but I like that they are there.

Thnx Bman, appreciate it mate
Today just a quick connect to pc to check out fractal software and to install fractal bot, looks great and pretty easy to use (for an stomp box guy is this a statement).
I'm not gonna use any stomp boxes in combination with AX, only one expression pedal for different purposes, but first things first...gotta create some good presets, and scenes so for now enough to do.
Regarding turning off the power amp modelling ...do I have to do this at each preset, or is there any section at global settings to do it just once?
I know, newbie question but can't help it...
Cheers guys

Thnx Bman, appreciate it mate
Today just a quick connect to pc to check out fractal software and to install fractal bot, looks great and pretty easy to use (for an stomp box guy is this a statement).
I'm not gonna use any stomp boxes in combination with AX, only one expression pedal for different purposes, but first things first...gotta create some good presets, and scenes so for now enough to do.
Regarding turning off the power amp modelling ...do I have to do this at each preset, or is there any section at global settings to do it just once?
I know, newbie question but can't help it...
Cheers guys
Schift - Store - Global - Enter - First setting on that menue is Power Amp Modeling. With batton A change to Power amp modelling off or on Wellcome to the best forum in the world and to the magic black box from Fractal

Hi guys,
Back again......spent several hours making presets, checking the best options for the routings, but mostly finding the best balance between amps and speakers.
Found one thing strange but then hey...."used-to-be-stomp-box-guy" everything is new for me.
When I place reverb with delay parallel in the chain, it gives higher output than when I set them in serial chain.
Second thing...decided to left poweramp unblocked. In one way or another it just sounds better to me, don't know why, but ok....matter of taste I guess.
Also found out that many amps can easily mismatch with many speaker configurations..Another thing is that when you're for example jazz or blues orientated you really don't have anything on many kinda amps, but ok, it's good to have 'em anyhow.
Very satisfied with dumble and shimmer presets, but also very pleasantly surprised by many clean sounds, awesome rotary sounds , Super reverb amp cranked up with TS instant Stevie ( even with my PRS),in many ways a decent toy for decent money.
I was also looking for so long for a good U2 preset , found couple of them on the forum (streets, haven't found etc..), but somehow is not that what I've expected with all respect to all amigos that put up all those efforts to create a good sound. Maybe if I replace and change some slight details, that it could work, otherwise I'll start from scratch.
Next step...expression pedal . Ordered one (Roland EV5) so we'll see how it goes with wha-whas, pitch shifters and so on...
Gotta also find out how it works with the scenes, but we have time, no sweat...
Cheerio mates

When I place reverb with delay parallel in the chain, it gives higher output than when I set them in serial chain.
Adding in parallel rows increases overall gain by 6dB. To compensate for that, set Mix to 100% and use Input Gain or Level to control the mix.

Another thing is that when you're for example jazz or blues orientated you really don't have anything on many kinda amps

There are many amps that can work. Reduce the Input Drive and/or Input Trim... You'd be surprised at the results ;)

Back
Top Bottom