Hi gain only?

WABRO

Hey everyone! First post here. New to the AXE and currently on the waitlist. I am wondering however, I see a lot of reviews and demos for high gain with the Axe 3 but not a lot of attention seems to be given to the "boutique" amps. Are they equally as good sounding as the high gain stuff?

The AxeFX is truly ideal for any tone. It's absolutely better than all of the amps it models, because it's not only utterly accurate, but, if there is some aspect of the original amps behavior you don't care for, you can tweak it to hell and back. Modifying any amp is as easy as the turn of a knob in one of the many many submenues for under the hood adjustments. If there's something with an amp you're trying to achieve, just post on this forum what you're looking to do, and usually a user, and often a Fractal engineer, will point you in the direction of the mod to affect that change. It's extraordinary. Just read any of Yek's write-ups for your favorite amp, and you'll see quotes from Cliff about how he likes to mod that particular amp.

Edge of breakup tones are fantastic with this thing. Even the pedals are unbelievable for that kind of thing. I've had a ton of fun using the models of Lovepedal stuff and the Timmy OD, which work great for non-high gain stuff. But your options are really limitless; the Fender models, original and modded stuff, and all the stuff in that vein, are inspiring to work with. The factory IRs are also wonderful for any sort of edge of breakup, especially Factory bank 1.

Best of luck on your tone journey!

All you need to do is take a look at demos of the actual amps that are modeled in the Axe III to know what it's going to sound like.

I rarely use any "metal" amps; my amp tones are primarily Tweed, Vox, Matchless, edge-of-breakup to bluesy to crunchy el84/6v6 tones. To date, I have not found a tone I can't replicate with the Axe III.

All you need to do is take a look at demos of the actual amps that are modeled in the Axe III to know what it's going to sound like.

I rarely use any "metal" amps; my amp tones are primarily Tweed, Vox, Matchless, edge-of-breakup to bluesy to crunchy el84/6v6 tones. To date, I have not found a tone I can't replicate with the Axe III.
This is where I spend most of my time too. Just finished playing my tele through the Deluxe Tweed model.

You won't be disappointed.

I just spent about an hour in clean to edge of break-up with Shiver Clean, CAE3+ Clean, Hook 1A and Tweed Deluxe. All very, very satisfying :)

Same here, Robben Ford, Andy Timmons, eric Johnson, Jimi, Stevie Ray, all in the box. I have some clean settings that make me play till waaaay too late
Harm

FWIW, I just created a preset of my 1969 Fender Super Reverb, factory blackface mod amp. Side by side there is hardly any difference.
The clean is unreal and throw a tube screamer drive in front of it and WOW!

I cheat sometimes, but usually I use the Deluxe Reverb and various Plexis. I'm not into FRFR, so I use real cabs. Sounds and feels like the real thing, with all the bloom and dynamics, plus you can tweak it to your own needs, have tons of great effects, and it is portable.

The clean - clean dirty beat every other modeler I've ever tried or heard. I've got Friedman amps, Bad Cats, Matchless, and Tweeds and they're all just as good in the box in 14.x.

The 5F8 Tweed is another gem. And I read this thread and realize how I haven’t tried half of the listed models since getting mine early September. Got more exploring to do!

if there is some aspect of the original amps behavior you don't care for, you can tweak it to hell and back
This is such a key point. Every time somebody asks "why is the UI so hard to use?" It's because it gives you this kind of power. It lets you get your exact sound (or closer to it than any other product). Whether that's the default behavior of an amp you know and love, or some elusive "endgame" tone you've never been able to get because every physical amp had some behavior that got in the way... with the AxeFX you don't have to be limited by physical constraints.

You can build your dream tone, however you want. It's a power tool for professionals.

This is roughly how I see it:

Everything else:

1614102478704.png

Axe FX:

1614102185648.png

You wanna go to the next state? Or do you wanna go to f##king space?

Back
Top Bottom