Hi everyone

Muzick

Experienced
I'm presently dealing with an eye condition called Choroideremia. Basically its causing me to go blind. I have about a year left before I lose my vision. My post is not to feel sorry for myself. I want to find a way to be able to program the Axe FX II without vision. Do you guys have any ideas? I was thinking text to speech using Axe edit. I've been playing around with that but my struggle is dialing in the knobs... it can't tell me how to do that.

Thank you so much,
Brandon

Oh man, I hope you work something out!

Just in case a solution doesn't come around soon enough, maybe consider teaching a close friend, spouse, sibling, [other person you'll spend a lot of time with] how to make adjustments so they can help you out?

I'd also take down a really detailed inventory of your guitars/pickups/etc so that if you need a certain type of sound, maybe someone with a similar instrument can dial in something close and post it here or at the exchange.

Tough news Brother Brandon.
I don't have answers to offer, but I will hold you and your family in prayer for best possible outcome.

I believe there are haptic tablets / surfaces that would allow you to manage any computer user-interface technology via touch, but I'm not certain of the current state of this tech.

When I was earning my computer science degree, the college's adaptive technology lab was prototyping surfaces that allow non-sighted people to use touch to interact with computer GUIs. I also have read articles on various Apple rumor sites that they're working on an iPad that presents 2-way touch-feedback, but I haven't seen anything that indicates how close they are to a market-ready version. You're definitely not alone in this - neither here on the forum, nor in the world - and I bet there are people who are blazing this trail already.

I'll see if I can get ahold of the adaptive technology group at my college, and will also ask my ophthalmologist buddy for a recommendation.

Can someone at FAS (Cliff / M@) confirm whether the Axe-Edit software meets ADA standards for ALT / TEXT tags?

I appreciate everyone's reply. VERY MUCH!

Thank you Sleestak. If I can demo something or be of use let me know. I'm ready to be of use before my disease gets worse!

Oh man, I hope you work something out!

Just in case a solution doesn't come around soon enough, maybe consider teaching a close friend, spouse, sibling, [other person you'll spend a lot of time with] how to make adjustments so they can help you out?

I'd also take down a really detailed inventory of your guitars/pickups/etc so that if you need a certain type of sound, maybe someone with a similar instrument can dial in something close and post it here or at the exchange.

It's an idea I've never thought of! I'm sure it will help. Thank you Rotti.

Wow. Lot's of sympathy, that's a tough thing to plan for.

You might check out the RAC-12 as a way to get dedicated knobs to twist, or see about setting up the Behringer MIDI knob and/or fader expanders to control parameters. Either might get you a simple tactile interface for the basics.

Best of luck,
TT

Not to turn you into a human guinea pig or anything, but I would find it really interesting if you could document your playing now and at a point (hopefully very far) down the road where your loss of sight has become significant.

There have been cases where loss of one sense and the accompanying reliance on the remaining four increases sensitivity (or perhaps perception) to those over time... sort of a skill development. As a musician, you're in a unique position to see if there is some benefit to your musicality, note/frequency recognition, etc.

Kind of a shitty silver lining, but maybe a silver lining nonetheless.

I've been playing around with that but my struggle is dialing in the knobs... it can't tell me how to do that.

Brandon - truly sorry to hear this bro...

From a preparation standpoint, could you setup like 100 presets in one of your banks that have EVERYTHING that you need prior to the circumstances becoming worse? In other words, dial in AMP/CAB combos with your effects that you use fairly regularly and build them with someone who would be willing to help you later on. If you build them for your specific needs now, later tweaking may be and easier process for you. Perhaps you lock in to a firmware version also with the sound/tones that you desire.

Is there anyone else in the forum from Colorado that would be willing to assist Brandon with the transition? That'd be super awesome also to have another contingency plan and forum member willing to help.

With dealing with IT handicaps for sometime now where I work, Dragon Naturally Speaking has some really solid software and Windows 8.1 Text to Speech (and reverse) has come a long ways for helping with visual impairments.

Hope any of this helps man, will be praying for your circumstances to improve and for the medical experts to extend your vision as long as possible mate!

Sorry to hear about your condition. Perhaps the front panel is more your friend than axe-edit. Maybe you could make note of the parameters and where they are by learning a sequence of button pushes from the home (recall button) page.

Back
Top Bottom