Hi everyone long time reader finally registered . An issue that is getting to me, open to ideas of the cause.

I've got a take on the C45 amp; If you reset the block it works but when you go anywhere and come back to it is gone again . By gone I mean fluctuating volume and gain almost like a broken V1 in a tube amp.

In case of malfunction always the very first thing to check is if there's a bad cable anywhere.
Bad contacts or cold solder joints do not interupt the signal, they mess up the tone.

From the guitar to the input, from the output to the Matrix, from the Matrix to the cab input, from the cab input to the Celestion....

Hi Andy,
No way it’s the axe fx - it could be any manner of things, for example, the room, the temperature, the cab position etc. I agree with you that speaker is not flat so any presets dialed in to sound great with it will probably not translate well to a pa or recording. As far as come and go ... not sure - I personally find that some days my setup sounds great and motivates me to play while other time it’s like..meh! I think that’s me and not the gear ;-)
Thanks
Pauly

I am trying out the Celestion F12-X200 in a Mesa Thieli with a GT1000fx power and some days it is fantastic but it sometimes sounds thin and nasal . I originally came from the tube power amp and guitar cabs way of doing things but want to take proper advantage of the stuff I had switched off.
I know this speaker is not really flat response but the inconsistency is what is getting to me. Is it possible that axe is causing the inconstancy ? I know some people occasionally get an overall negative change in tone after an update and a reload usually fixes it but could anything come and go ?
Thanks in advance .

How are you connected from the Axe to the cab? So from the Axe to the Matrix and what setting the amp is on. What connections from the amp to the cab? What outputs from the amp etc. Process of elimination. Eliminate the Axe fx so move to the amp then move to the cab and any connections in between.

Does this simple patch have a wah block?
No was the answer and it still is. It happens in everything I made a amp and cab only preset and it happens there too. It is the overall flavour of everything that goes from awesome to MG10.

after resetting the amp block are you saving the preset before switching and coming back? Go thru the preset and make sure all modifiers are off. Perhaps try reloading the factory presets and resetting system parameters. If that doesn't help, the problem is somewhere else

How are you connected from the Axe to the cab? So from the Axe to the Matrix and what setting the amp is on. What connections from the amp to the cab? What outputs from the amp etc. Process of elimination. Eliminate the Axe fx so move to the amp then move to the cab and any connections in between.
Balanced Neutrik XLR (van damme cable) and speakon to jack( Neutrik plugs and Klotz speaker cable). The GT1000fx is at 2 o'clock or higher because it needs to be for the tone. I have spare cables (same speck) and it still happens.

In case of malfunction always the very first thing to check is if there's a bad cable anywhere.
Bad contacts or cold solder joints do not interupt the signal, they mess up the tone.

From the guitar to the input, from the output to the Matrix, from the Matrix to the cab input, from the cab input to the Celestion....
Thanks but I have done this already.

Not sure if already suggested, but do you get the same issue when the amp and cab are turned off and just using headphones?

Not sure if already suggested, but do you get the same issue when the amp and cab are turned off and just using headphones?
I don't have a really good set of headphones, I tried it with the ones I have but they don't sound great.

I;d expect headphones tone to be a lot different from the get go - but it was more about whether the 'going thinner' after a time phenomenon was there.

Make sure you're not using the matrix in bridged mode. If it's in bridged mode but you still plug into the left and right to the cab, it will sound thin and weird. Try to rule out the cab by either connecting a different cab or plugging into speakers. If you can, record a clip of it happening.

'Thinner' is what you can get when a contact is bad. The contact then can work like a capacitor which means it blocks lows and let highs pass.

I;d expect headphones tone to be a lot different from the get go - but it was more about whether the 'going thinner' after a time phenomenon was there.
I know what you mean but the headphones sound is not good to start with so I'm trying to discern degrees of suck. My headphones I know.

different volume levels and listening position in the space? I've had issues with plug on terminals not making on speakers at times, maybe the woofer dropping out? also check the polarity of the hf and lf drivers.

different volume levels and listening position in the space? I've had issues with plug on terminals not making on speakers at times, maybe the woofer dropping out? also check the polarity of the hf and lf drivers.
It's the F12-X200 so it only has the external two contacts and I think they are ok. The crossover and coax tweeter are not accessible .

Here is what I would suggest. Create a preset with nothing but an amp block, cab block, and maybe a drive block. See if this behavior is still present in this simple preset. Then add blocks that you normally use one at a time to try to isolate the problem.

Back
Top Bottom