Hi cut

L

luke

I need to create a 12 string patch, the hi cut in pitch shifter is at 2000 and a d string is 147.

How would use an eq block with the pitch shifted to get witching the proper range?

Thanks in advance.

And I'm on 19.09 so posting a patch won't help.

A 12-string guitar has only four strings doubled an octave. That's difficult to simulate in the Axe-Fx.
But in reality it doesn't matter much. I use the Pitch Shifter adding a fixed octave with a little detuning.
As such it's remarkably similar to the sound clips of the EHX Mosaiq pedal, so I stopped worrying.

It should be easy, run the pitchshifter in parallel with the appropriate hi cut.

Now the question is, how to accomplish.

Filters really don't work that well for this sort of thing. The problem is they cut all frequencies above the selected cutoff. G string fundamental is at around 196 Hz, simple enough, except the E, A, D, and G strings all have harmonics that extend well above the 200 Hz range. Not to mention, on a real 12 string you can play notes more than an octave higher than 196 Hz on the G string, higher than the open B and e strings. Put a 200 Hz low pass filter on your guitar signal and all you're left with is a very flubby and muddy sound. That is what is going to get pitch shifted and it will be completely lacking in string harmonics and clarity. Filtering the parallel pitch shifted signal afterwards is really no better. The cut off frequency is an octave higher, but it still kills a lot of harmonics and clarity from the lower notes. For a quick and dirty 12 string simulation, just knock a little of the highest harmonics with the high cut in the pitch block itself, add a few cents of detune and call it good. You really need hex output pickups and separate pitch shifters for each string to do it right.

You don't really get any benefit from hi cutting, although if you used a PEQ/GEQ block you could get down closer to the frequencies you want.

Try this instead: put a Pitch block up an octave, in a parallel row, mix 100%, with it's volume being controlled by the Pitch modifier. Set it so that the volume drops off around the frequency of the G-string, or the A on the 2nd fret (220hz)... you'll have to do that by ear, the modifier doesn't have an actual Hz setting. This will approximate the octaves on the lower 4 strings, at least when you're strumming in open positions. If you were to play bar chords up the neck you'll lose some of the effect.

Then, use a chorus, rotary, or 2nd pitch block set to detune, in another parallel row and mix also at 100%, with a reverse curve from the first also controlled by the Pitch modifier, that will bring up the volume starting at the B-string (245hz or so) to simulate the 2 unison strings (which of course are never totally perfectly in unison, hence the slight detune or chorus).

Mix to taste. I have a preset around somewhere that I haven't been able to find; I posted it some time in the distant past if you want to search my posts. It's by no means perfect, but in a mix it adds a bit of 12-string jangle and is kinda cool ;-)

Try this instead: put a Pitch block up an octave, in a parallel row, mix 100%, with it's volume being controlled by the Pitch modifier.

This doesn't really work because the pitch controller outputs one value. It's not something that can separate notes of chords and send them through different processing.

Usually the detector either reads the lowest note of a chord correctly, or (more often than not with a 5th or 4th interval at bottom of chord) interprets it as some lower note. That means for most chord work it's probably sitting at 0% or jumping unpredictably in the lowest part of its range.

You could try the pitch modifiers for single-note lines though, fading from an octave to unison over some range or engaging/bypassing the blocks at one point.

This doesn't really work because the pitch controller outputs one value. It's not something that can separate notes of chords and send them through different processing.

Usually the detector either reads the lowest note of a chord correctly, or (more often than not with a 5th or 4th interval at bottom of chord) interprets it as some lower note. That means for most chord work it's probably sitting at 0% or jumping unpredictably in the lowest part of its range.

You could try the pitch modifiers for single-note lines though, fading from an octave to unison over some range or engaging/bypassing the blocks at one point.
That's a good point. I'll have to find my preset and check, but IIRC it did work (passably ;-) ... it was good enough that I got rid of my Morpheus Capo pedal.

After the input I have split my signal where on line 2 I'm just using shunts in the beginning. Below on line 3 I have the PEQ first, blocking everything above 200, going into the pitch shifter where I have the hi cut at 15,000. Afterward line 3 feeds back into line 2 before the amp, cab delay and reverb blocks. I am running piezo in stereo both at fixed harmony of 12, left -5 right +5 detuning. Combine with the piezo the guitar has as well, it sounds good enough for live use.

Back
Top Bottom