HH V800 vs Matrix GT1000 FX

VanHalen

Inspired
Hi,

I have the opportunity to buy a HH V800 solid state poweramp for 250 euros (less than 250$).
The problem is I can't play it with my Axe FX because the seller is too far.

I know lots of guitarists used or are still using it because it's a great amp and some say it sounds like a tube poweramp.

What do you think about this poweramp ? Have you ever tried it with an Axe FX ? Is it better or worse than a Matrix GT1000 FX ?

Thanks.

I'm just gonna throw in my 2 cents since you mentioned "tube like"... And to me, this makes no sense when you are modeling a complete amp - including the power amp.

If you want to get the best representation of a modeled amp, what you really want is a clear, flat response amp that does not color the sound or impart ANY character to the sound it is amplifying.

The whole point of the Axe Fx is that it is providing all the "tube like" character already.

Sorry I am not really answering your question...

Sorry I am not really answering your question...

No problem, your answer is welcome.

If I want the exact same sound of a given amp, I'd better buying this amp. If I use an Axe + poweramp, I will always have the color of this poweramp, no matter if it is a tube or a solid state one.

The fact is that the HH V800 is a great solid state poweramp, Van Halen still uses it and it is an important element of his W/D/W rig with his 5150 III.

The thing is : Does the HH V800 color the sound a good way, even if it's SS poweramp ? Better than the Matrix does ?

I made some research on this forum and very few people have talked about it.

Last edited:
You'll probably find that the GT800FX is more similar to the H/H V800 than the GT1000FX. When we gave Steve Stevens (who also used V800s in a W/D/W setup) both amps to try he preferred the GT1000FX as it felt more like the power section of his amp and gave a clearer tone similar to his dry cab. We've a few users who switched from V800 to GT800s and they are quite similar in terms of sound and feel (aside from weight).

Thanks.

According to you, the GT800FX sounds different from the GT1000FX. What about the 1600 (and why not the 1500) ? Are they different beasts ?

Last edited:
The GT800FX is the only amp in our range that "feels" different. All others are voiced to the GT1000FX spec including GM50, 1500, 1600, 2000. Best way to describe the difference is the 800 is a little more compressed sounding in the low mids, tighter feeling where the 1000 is more open. Difficult to tell on a video/audio but noticeable side by side.

Back
Top Bottom