Hey you nice guys out there! I'm going to New York

Mr.RangoTango

Experienced
:eagerness:

And I know that you guys are top notch and mostly deep grounded to that American soil over there! I'm going with my brother, mom and dad and neither of us have ever been to the New Yorkz.
We are going to rent an apartment for max flexibility. My mom was suggested to look at the "Soho" area, what do you think?

I am naturally interested in the places where all the musical milestones were created back then, so where to go??

We have 7 days and I really wan't to get the MOST out of the time over there!!!!

ps. music stores and fancy and multicultural restaurants are just my thing!

Go to "The Iridium" Night Club. Les Paul played there almost every month at least until a few days before he died. Sometimes there are amazing artist concerts there. Ginger Baker was there recently. Paul Gilbert has played there, as have many others.

Go to Rudy's Music on 48th Street just to say you've been there. You may bump into a celeb there, too.

Go to Katz's Deli on Houston. The Pastrami there is to die for and it was a scene of "When Harry Met Sally" was filmed. You know, THAT scene.

Go to the Gougenheim(sp?) Museum if you can. It's really a landmark.

I also think they re-opened the Statue of Liberty again recently. Go. You won't regret it. Cheesy as it sounds.

If you're going to see a show on Broadway, you MUST see the Lion King. I've seen many shows on Broadway and that one was just the most spectacular show I've ever seen. I know it's Disney, but the show is wonderous. We've actually treated some of the dancers from that show as patients and they are amazing athletes and artists. Pay the price to see it. You will leave the theater a different person.

oh yeah I should have mentioned that we're leaving in 1 1/2 months :))

thanks guys! it's exactly stuff like that I want to! :D Just some basic "inner-circle" knowledge!

I can vouch for Katz's deli. I had to ask the guy to take some of the brisket out out, the filling was that deep. I only went to NYC for 4 days and made the trip after seeing the deli on Man Vs Food. I was not disappointed, but the place needed a lick of paint. Looked like it hadn't had a refit in years. Having said all that, i've never eaten a sandwich like that here in the UK, without paying an extortionate amount of money. Rip off Britain at it's finest.

+1 on Katz Deli. Times Square is not really musical, but certainly a very historic landmark place. The Sphere in Battery Park is worth seeing (very emotional for people who actually know what it is). Statue of Liberty is a must (not just for Americans, but for anyone who loves personal freedom). So looks like you are going in the beginning of March. Make sure you try some pizza. NY pizza is in a class of its own. Chinatown and Little Italy are worth seeing. There is a restaurant called Vincent's right by little Italy and Chinatown. Can't remember the address. Just ask someone, they will tell you where it is. Great Italian food.

Oh my god ! I am dying now! Just saw the Man Vs. Food episode about Katz Deli :O You guys just keep pouring good stuff out!

I was in NY last spring. I remember having an idea to eat in Chinatown - after all its a legendary place. Walked for about an hour from door to door trying to find a nice place to eat, but they all seemed to have a "special" (double) menu prices for tourists, with an angry waiter, or the food looked really bad. For some reason Chinatown is my least favorite part of NY. I ended up eating in somewhere else.

Despite that NY really made a big impression to me, i WILL go there sometime again. I live in Europe.

I had a blast in NY in September ; I had the pleasure to met Tom King, Andee Blacksugar, Dave Z and wknight2, and can't wait to go back there !

I also realize this magic trip for a week with my wife in the next month of May. I tried to make the most of this wonderful and musical week.
If anyone has any advice for booking an hotel or another solution at reasonable prices not too far from the center. I am listening to you.

Last edited:
I also realize this magic trip for a week with my wife in the next month of May. I tried to make the most of this wonderful and musical week.
If anyone has any advice for booking an hotel or another solution at reasonable prices not too far from the center. I am listening to you.

No such thing as reasonably priced accommodations in NYC, especially near the center.

Get the Hop Stop app on your phone and use the subway to get around. Cabs are expensive. Also, don't stop to look at the map when on the subway, dead giveaway!

If you're coming in the spring Union Square is a cool spot to hang out. Def stroll through Central Park too. The MoMa museum is cool too.

Enjoy the restaurants. I would avoid the chain restaurants, you can do that back home.

Have fun, it's an amazing city (born and raised here).

-PJ

PM me. I was born and raised here.
:eagerness:

And I know that you guys are top notch and mostly deep grounded to that American soil over there! I'm going with my brother, mom and dad and neither of us have ever been to the New Yorkz.
We are going to rent an apartment for max flexibility. My mom was suggested to look at the "Soho" area, what do you think?

I am naturally interested in the places where all the musical milestones were created back then, so where to go??

We have 7 days and I really wan't to get the MOST out of the time over there!!!!

ps. music stores and fancy and multicultural restaurants are just my thing!

Back
Top Bottom