Hevy Devy Volume Leveling

Jipps0525

Power User
Wondering if anyone can take a look at the changes I made to the Hevy Devy preset? Im struggling trying to get the first 6 scenes leveled evenly. I swapped scenes around and dont use 7 or 8 so dont worry about those. My scene 1 clean channel always sounds much lower in my In-Ears, scene 5 also sometimes gets buried in my in ears and Im afraid to just keep bumping levels up and cause more issues. Appreciate any input. Im really digging this preset. I made some changes for myself though. Scene 6 is intentionally louder for my solo channel on some heavier stuff

Attachments

• View Hevy Devy.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: MPZ
Initial thoughts are that the first 3 scenes sound lower in volume and choked off
compared to the Hevy Devy factory preset's first 3 scenes.

Using the preset leveling tool your Hevy Devy preset is 9 to 10 db lower all across
the board compared to the factory preset---except for the Synth scene, Epic scene,
Solo scene and Heavy scene, all of which get progressively louder and by a LOT! Your
Solo and Heavy scenes are actually clipping. Those need to be brought down. Clean,
Breakup, and Grit need to be brought up.

3 to 5 db generally is plenty for a solo boost. There is a 10 to 20 db difference between
your first 3 scenes and scenes 5, 6, and 7. That's massive----and probably not in a good way. ;)

Initial thoughts are that the first 3 scenes sound lower in volume and choked off

Using the preset leveling tool your Hevy Devy preset is 9 to 10 db lower all across
the board compared to the factory preset---except for the Synth scene, Epic scene,
Solo scene and Heavy scene, all of which get progressively louder and by a LOT! Your
Solo and Heavy scenes are actually clipping. Those need to be brought down. Clean,

3 to 5 db generally is plenty for a solo boost. There is a 10 to 20 db difference between
your first 3 scenes and scenes 5, 6, and 7. That's massive----and probably not in a good way. ;)
Keep in mind scenes 7 & 8 I don’t use. Those might be the solo and heavy scenes? I have to check. I’m getting a name confused there because I use scene 6 as solo and intentionally make it a few dB louder for soloing. Idk what could cause the first three scenes to be lower than the factory presets. Any input there? Also any input on what would cause a 10-20 dB difference between scenes?

They might sound “choked off” because I had to lower the delay and reverb mixes a lot because they were just too much when turned up real loud live

Scenes 5 and 6 are still WAY too loud as compared to scenes 1-3. I would drop the
Level in those scenes by at least 5 to 7 db. Like I mentioned, those were actually clipping
into the Redin the Preset Leveling tool.

I'd also bring up the Level of Scenes 1 through 3 in the Amp Block about 3 to 5 db and you
should still have enough of boost for solos in scene 6.

I can see in the Scene Levels mixer view you have adjusted them as compared
to the factory Hevy Devy preset---where they are all at 0.0

I see your Clean has the Comp Block eliminated and that could be partly to
blame why your Scene 1 and 2 are so much lower in volume.

I would try to use the internal Amp, Cab, and Out blocks to dial in the levels before using
the Scene Levels mixer tool.

Yup. Taking out that Comp Block destroyed your level in Scene 1. Just checked.
thought so. Needed to take it out to add the filter block for emergency volume boosts. My main goals were to have:
Scene 1 be clean with input boost or drive block boost if needed.
Scene 2 be light crunch and can boost via input boost, or filter volume boost if needed
Scene 3 is a bit heavier with a fuzz drive if needed or input boost
Scene 4 is for Synth
Scene 5 is for heavier gain/rhythms
Scene 6 is my heavier solo channel

So maybe set all scenes back to 0, except scene 6 set to 3-5 dB for solo boost? And then use the amp block to increase volume of other scenes?

Yup. I'd revert like that. I'd also try and find a way to work that Comp Block back into your Scene 1 clean.
So maybe set all scenes back to 0, except scene 6 set to 3-5 dB for solo boost? And then use the amp block to increase volume of other scenes?

Yup. I'd revert like that. I'd also try and find a way to work that Comp Block back into your Scene 1 clean.
Check it now if ya can. I was able to get the Comp back in. The CPU usage worries me so i might remove the filter block and set some Output boost to a control switch but id rather not. I just dont want the CPU limit cutting off my volume

Attachments

• View Hevy Devy.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 3
So I went to play this tonight at rehearsal after I tried editing my levels. We did get some new, more powerful PA speakers which I think contributed a lot because my bass player was also having issues. But my scenes 5 and 6 with the Herbert with that sweet low end , were too boomy. I had to lower my Output 1 volume a bit and also lower the gain in my Global 1 EQ to resolve the issue. So I think something with the new speakers wasn’t jiving well with any low end. So I’m wondering if there’s a way to tame the Herbert Diezel scenes a bit without losing its awesome low end character? Or maybe my levels are still just way off?

So I went to play this tonight at rehearsal after I tried editing my levels. We did get some new, more powerful PA speakers which I think contributed a lot because my bass player was also having issues. But my scenes 5 and 6 with the Herbert with that sweet low end , were too boomy. I had to lower my Output 1 volume a bit and also lower the gain in my Global 1 EQ to resolve the issue. So I think something with the new speakers wasn’t jiving well with any low end. So I’m wondering if there’s a way to tame the Herbert Diezel scenes a bit without losing its awesome low end character? Or maybe my levels are still just way off?

Have you tried a Lo Cut in the Cab Block for those scenes? It shouldn't impact your
clean and grit scenes since those are using different amps/cabs.

I feel like with a gained up Diezel you can try a Lo Cut between 65hz and 100hz. You
can play with it at rehearsal by using the Performance Pages tab that gives you instant
access to the Cab Block.

I have rehearsal tonight and will check your preset above in a live situation with the band. :)
That would be awesome thank you so much! This morning I actually went into the Herbert output eq and lowered some low end and raised the low cut in the amp block input. I’m pretty sure I already had low cuts in the cab block. The preset I attached here won’t reflect the amp block changes I just mentioned though. Let me know what ya think I really anticipate hearing what you experience. This preset has such good sounds I think I’m just struggling with some of the finer details lol

Devs preset isn't really set up to sit in a band mix at all. With the Cali cab (which isn't the IR he uses) the bottom end is completely overbearing. You'll need to apply a low cut in the cab block if you really want it to sit well with a bass player. There's no real way to keep all that low end unless you convince the bassist to give up that frequency range... good luck! lol.

From my tinkering with his preset, I found 80hz-100hz to be the sweet spot in still keeping the low end punchy without creating a wall of flub when you bring a bass into the mix. You will likely find your sweet spot is different depending on your guitar/pickups etc.

Devin also runs his FX in parallel so he can control the level of the FX without it stepping all over the dry sound. His FM3/AxeFx3 preset has them in series. So the moment you engage the reverb you start bringing in a lot of excess bottom end that's harder to control without changing the character of the Herbert "crunch" too much.

I'd recommend trying a side chain and put all the FX after the amp there and either control the levels of it with a volume block at the end of the chain before returning to the output, or just running it to a separate output and controlling it at the mixing board. Should give you a little more flexibility with taming the fx making the low end blossom outta control without having your main crunch from the Herbert drastically tweaked.

Establishing what balance works best is something you and your bassist should do at rehearsal. You may find you both need to make tweaks that may not sound terribly appealing on their own individually but together work very well. Basically, let the bassist hold down the low end. Don't be afraid to give up some of that boomy bottom end that sounds good isolated by itself in exchange for a better all around mix as a band.

That would be awesome thank you so much! This morning I actually went into the Herbert output eq and lowered some low end and raised the low cut in the amp block input. I’m pretty sure I already had low cuts in the cab block. The preset I attached here won’t reflect the amp block changes I just mentioned though. Let me know what ya think I really anticipate hearing what you experience. This preset has such good sounds I think I’m just struggling with some of the finer details lol

No problem. Fun hearing what others are going for. :)

Back
Top Bottom