AFIII Heros

iaresee

Administrator
Last week someone asked if you can do shoegaze stuff like Cocteau Twins with the Axe-Fx III. I posted a really quick take on a stereo Twin Reverb setup ala Cocteau Twins. Well, I've been noodling with that preset near constantly since I cooked it up really quick for that thread and having a blast with it. I was listening to Roxy Music and David Bowie and started to get ideas.

Well, an afternoon later of trying to remember how to cobble together entire songs in Logic, sifting through drummers, loops, remebering how to automate mixes, etc. and out the either end pops this:

I'm pretty happy with the drums. Was trying to get that Avalon kind of washy pop drums sound. Did okay there, I think.

The guitars and bass are 100% axe-fx III and waaaay over the top. I recorded every track with all the effects at the same time instead of printing the wet signal to a separate track or bussing dry tracks to Logic effects channels. Not the best way to create a super clean mix, but it was funner that way, that's for certain.

All the guitars were recorded with scenes from the attached Shoegaze preset. The clean wash track is Scene 1 and the heavy guitars are the Pi Crash scene with various blocks on and off and channels changed on the blocks depending on the part. Clean and heavy parts were my PRS Standard 24 with BKP Abraxas PUs and the single note stuff was my heavily modified Ed O'Brien Strat with the sustainer circuit in it helping out there on the long tails.

The bass track was my Ibanez SGR recorded with the attached bass preset which I lifted pretty much directly from Ken Andrews excellent bass tones tutorial on his YT channel and then dialed back for clean tones. It was the Throb scene I used for the recording. On the bass I put a bit of multi-comp from Logic X to help it sit in the mix better. I'm still not very good with bass tones and playing so my attack was inconsistent throughout the track.

Lots of fun putting this together this afternoon, that's for certain!

Presets:

Last edited:
Last week someone asked if you can do shoegaze stuff like Cocteau Twins with the Axe-Fx III. I posted a really quick take on a stereo Twin Reverb setup ala Cocteau Twins. Well, I've been noodling with that preset near constantly since I cooked it up really quick for that thread and having a blast with it. I was listening to Roxy Music and David Bowie and started to get ideas.

Well, an afternoon later of trying to remember how to cobble together entire songs in Logic, sifting through drummers, loops, remebering how to automate mixes, etc. and out the either end pops this:

I'm pretty happy with the drums. Was trying to get that Avalon kind of washy pop drums sound. Did okay there, I think.

The guitars and bass are 100% axe-fx III and waaaay over the top. I recorded every track with all the effects at the same time instead of printing the wet signal to a separate track or bussing dry tracks to Logic effects channels. Not the best way to create a super clean mix, but it was funner that way, that's for certain.

All the guitars were recorded with scenes from the attached Shoegaze preset. The clean wash track is Scene 1 and the heavy guitars are the Pi Crash scene with various blocks on and off and channels changed on the blocks depending on the part. Clean and heavy parts were my PRS Standard 24 with BKP Abraxas PUs and the single note stuff was my heavily modified Ed O'Brien Strat with the sustainer circuit in it helping out there on the long tails.

The bass track was my Ibanez SGR recorded with the attached bass preset which I lifted pretty much directly from Ken Andrews excellent bass tones tutorial on his YT channel and then dialed back for clean tones. It was the Throb scene I used for the recording. On the bass I put a bit of multi-comp from Logic X to help it sit in the mix better. I'm still not very good with bass tones and playing so my attack was inconsistent throughout the track.

Lots of fun putting this together this afternoon, that's for certain!

Presets:

Great job that was very cool love that song.

Back
Top Bottom