Here's a Stevie Ray Vaughan 'Live at the el Mocambo" patch with FW 4.01

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hi all,

Stevie played this club gig (great DVD if you have not rented/streamed it, go see it!) with Fender Blackface amps with I believe a 4 X 10 and a 1 X 15 speaker. This is designed for Strats naturally and defaults in "super clean" tone, with a tube screamer "drive" (with no gain) to give some grit for solos, plus a wah that uses external controller 3.

It really sounds close/better if you can put something like an RC Boost in front of it too to lift/fatten the Strat pickup signal going in. (I use an RC Boost for all vintage-style single coil pickups and leave it on).

I tried to put in a Pitch shifter for 1/2 step down -- but no CPU left! The delay and reverb should be left on, this is to get a "club small room sound." They are set to Mute the "In" or dry signal, so they pass only wet signal (derived from dry) to the final mix, that's the reason/design of having them on their own rows. What's nice about that is if you do clikc them off, you don't get a bunch of gain from adding two extra dry signals to the output mixer.

Be easy on adding any bass or mic proximity, or you will introduce clipping the patch, tried to tune it "just so."

The master amp volume is on 10, which with Cliff's new 4.01 firmware gives it even extra boost (as he has said in another post) similar to the amp mod Stevie's amp tech made for a little more amp gain ... but still keeping things clean.

(Later Stevie played a Steel String Singer by Dumble for even more gorgeous clean tone..perhaps one day Cliff will add that amp to our tone arsenal!)

Hope you enjoy, feedback -- especially your "improvements" to the patch settings -- are encouraged/very welcome. One thing I have not fooled with yet much is the speaker resonance features on the amp's last page of settings, and that may be the next frontier...

A shout out to SmileFan and his patch thread, where he has another excellent SRV patch (Dual Vibroverbs) that inspired me down this particular patch exploration road (there is some of that DNA in this!)

Attachments

• SRV Macambo4.0.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 196
Fantastic Austinbuddy! Great patch! Worthy of anything I ever did!
Now I can retire from patch writing, and let you guys write patches for me ;).

Cragginshred is right about the TS808. Reset it this way:

Drive Block pg. 2, Lo Cut = 550Hz, Hi Cut = 650Hz

That will make it smooth and sing-y.

Here is my "SRV's Vibroverbs" patch redone in 4.0 for comparison.
This is preset to a much lower volume than yours. Might want to
bump it up a bit.

Attachments

• SRV's Vibroverbs.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 113
Thanks to you both. The tube screamer was a bitch, because it had too much "dirt" in the grit even with drive on zero. Thanks for the encouraging kudos and suggestions, am still learning and applying knowledge from playing/reading/listening and what I learn here from you masters!

Back
Top Bottom