Here is something I'll bet you haven't heard

Bulldog50

Inspired
I live about a mile away from a 50,000 watt AM radio station's transmitting towers. At night, their signal bleeds over into my AXE FX III. All my cables, etc. are shielded. Is there any way I can make this stop? When I record, I can hear the stations broadcast. Any suggestion? No, I cannot move. As I am sure I'll get a bunch of replies, please excuse me if I don't reply to everyone. I DO appreciate any suggestions in advance.

I live about a mile away from a 50,000 watt AM radio station's transmitting towers. At night, their signal bleeds over into my AXE FX III. All my cables, etc. are shielded. Is there any way I can make this stop? When I record, I can hear the stations broadcast. Any suggestion? No, I cannot move. As I am sure I'll get a bunch of replies, please excuse me if I don't reply to everyone. I DO appreciate any suggestions in advance.

Does it occur when you disconnect the guitar?

One big Faraday cage ... easy peasy

start w a metal roof ...

add $$$$$

😀
Not sure if the interference is coming from the AXE or my PC. It only happens when I record, not when I play. But it only happens when I record, not when I am using the PC for ordinary surfing, etc.

Not sure if the interference is coming from the AXE or my PC. It only happens when I record, not when I play. But it only happens when I record, not when I am using the PC for ordinary surfing, etc.

Solution works for both 👍

(Assuming clean power source/signal and no inductance)

I live about an hour and a half from the Indianapolis speed way and back about 1999 I could listen to the race just by turning on my half stack so I know the feeling. needless to say I don't use a half stack anymore.

Ground loop between the Computer and Axe III on the USB cable's shield perhaps? Does your USB cable have ferrite beads on it?

1608343359906.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't have a solution to your problem, but I used to live across the street from a gas station, and there was a local guy who stopped there occasionally in his El Camino. I'm guessing he had a CB radio with a beefy linear amplifier in the El Camino, because when he was under the metal awning at the gas pumps, I could hear his CB transmissions loud and clear through my stereo...but only when the stereo was turned off. Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened (at about 2:00 in the morning).

Looked on the web and cannot find any cages that I could purchase. No, I'm not building one.

To troubleshoot this, the first thing I'd do is disconnect the Axe-Fx from the PC and try recording something. If you don't pick up any reception, then it's not the PC. Next, connect the Axe-Fx to the PC but don't connect the guitar. Again, try recording. If you don't pick up any reception, then it stands to reason your guitar is the culprit.

I don't have a solution to your problem, but I used to live across the street from a gas station, and there was a local guy who stopped there occasionally in his El Camino. I'm guessing he had a CB radio with a beefy linear amplifier in the El Camino, because when he was under the metal awning at the gas pumps, I could hear his CB transmissions loud and clear through my stereo...but only when the stereo was turned off. Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened (at about 2:00 in the morning).
FCC can fine the crap out of you for stuff like that. There's a limit on transmission power unless you have a specific license for it. If he was hitting your stereo while turned off, I'll bet he was pumping WAY more than 4 watts allowed. Same goes for cell jammers. Saw an article a while ago about a guy in Florida that would drive around with a cell jammer in his car because he was all high and mighty about people using their cell phones in their cars. FCC found out and fined him something like $50,000. Not good when people around you can't call 911 if they need.

At our house in Nebraska, a street light was the issue. Far worse during the winter months. I had a room rewired, and added a 20amp power filter. That helped.

Back
Top Bottom