Here is a new Version of Dumble Sound

Hi,

I use this patch with the AXE FX Ultra and the Atomic Reactor CAB. I am playing a Gibson ES 335 LC (neck hum ). If you like to get the warm tone, play only with your thumb or fingerstyle. Larry prefers a sound between clean and distortion sound depends from the attitude of your touch. When you touch the guitar soft, your will get a clean sound. When you touch the sides hard, you will get a sound with distortion. For this use Dumble sound ver 1.2

It´s not perfect like the sound of Larry Carlton, because he uses Dumble 12 Cabinet and I use as this patch 2X12 Brit Cabs. The amp is Spec OD 2 with the original Sound configuration at the dumble overdrive special using by Larry Carlton. You can proof that at his website.
Have fun. :ugeek:

Attachments

• Dumble Sound.syx
    2 KB · Views: 246
  • Dumble Sound VER 1.2.syx
    2 KB · Views: 182
Re: Here is a kind of Dumble Sound

I like to use the middle position on my semi-hollow. Don't have a 335. Gets too flutey with only the neck.

Do you think it gets the vibe closely enough? I mean, the actual cab's IR is not available of course...
I think Carlton really uses much more drive than your preset has, at least on "Last Nite". He has to to get it to feed back like that.

"Emotions Wound Us So" from "Last Nite" is the most beautiful piece of music I know. Really makes me weep. You really need to crank it to get the feedback I'm sure.
If anyone actually knows how to play like Carlton (I can't) I'd love to hear a clip like that.
This is more my take trying to get that tone. Using both pickups.

Hi Dutch,
I look at the webside of Larry. There you can see an original sound setting of his dumble amp and there is no full drive panel on it, because his gibson es 335 has much sustain so you don´t need a full range of drive.
My configuration depends on Gibson ES 335 with a Atomic CAB as an full range system. If you have a different equipment you need another configuration.
What´s your´s equipment?

I just saw that. Your patch is correct from the site, but I'm A-Bing it to the recording and it feels like he's using much more drive. I'm using the drive block more for a channel switch type setup. He does do that.

That recording is from 1986. Hissy like a snake in the sun. But that tone is to die for. Maybe he was using something else then.

I'll try to record something with my meagre chops.

Hi Dutch
you are just right. I take more drive at 3.5 by the amp. The sound has more dynamik. My reference sounds comes from the Master Class Course of Larry Carlton. It´s a nice course of Blues like Stormy Monday and other Blues Sheets within a strong Jazz fluency. This sounds was created at 2007.

Here is a link to look for the Sound of Larry Carlton the man of a fine tone and tune.

http://www.larrycarlton.com/pdf/lc_gear.pdf

Have fun :roll:

It just occurred to me to go look up Emotions Wound Us So on youtube. Waddayaknow... It's there!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOeB4oANTVg

It seems he was actually playing that on his Valley Arts signature using bridge/middle in between position. Some of the harmonics are picking hand, some are natural, so he really is loud.
I think I'll be studying that vid for a while!

There are several other vids where he's playing Les Pauls on Emotions, but I prefer this tone, slightly clearer and less flutey. Which does have it's place, but I like less for this.

Having fun!

From the vids at LC's site he does use an overdrive sometimes, it's in the beige box on his pedalboard. That's if I understand LC's tech guy right. I've never heard anyone talk so slow! It makes it hard to concentrate. I fell asleep twice in the amps vid.

Thanks for the links. I love him. I have the old VHS instructional tape where he explains his triads stuff, where these songs come from ...

Thanks for the links. I love him. I have the old VHS instructional tape where he explains his triads stuff, where these songs come from ...

Dutch, I tried your patch through my rig without the cab sims, and i think it sounds fantastic.

Great job. Its a little bit low gain for me, but it definately has that Carlton vibe.

Dutch--that Larry Carlton video is great--love his tone and technique, and thanks for your patch and the OP patch also...

I would love to develop that harmonic when he uses his index finger... any tips?

What an incredible video !

To the poster above...I think this is what you are asking, he is simultaneously plucking the string and touching 12 frets above the fretted note to create the harmonic.

He uses the technique beautifully.

Hi,

I use this patch with the AXE FX Ultra and the Atomic Reactor CAB. I am playing a Gibson ES 335 LC (neck hum ). If you like to get the warm tone, play only with your thumb or fingerstyle. Larry prefers a sound between clean and distortion sound depends from the attitude of your touch. When you touch the guitar soft, your will get a clean sound. When you touch the sides hard, you will get a sound with distortion. For this use Dumble sound ver 1.2

It´s not perfect like the sound of Larry Carlton, because he uses Dumble 12 Cabinet and I use as this patch 2X12 Brit Cabs. The amp is Spec OD 2 with the original Sound configuration at the dumble overdrive special using by Larry Carlton. You can proof that at his website.
Have fun. :ugeek:

Hi Pedro, I know it has been a few years since this thread, I just ran acrossed it searching for ES 335 LC. I have opportunity to purchase one and would love your thoughts on it over any other 335. Also, have you updated this patch recently with all the firmware updates? Thx

Hi Pedro, I know it has been a few years since this thread, I just ran acrossed it searching for ES 335 LC. I have opportunity to purchase one and would love your thoughts on it over any other 335. Also, have you updated this patch recently with all the firmware updates? Thx
I don't know which unit you have, but this thread was talking about a preset for the 'Axe-Fx Ultra'

Also, The OP (Pedro) hasn't been on the forum in over 6 months?

Back
Top Bottom