Herbie

stm113

Power User
Redid my presets for my cover band last night, used Mark IV for some my LA Studio sounds, Plexi 6550 for my Classic rock stuff but...for my "general tone" and more modern stuff I tried out the Herbie Ch3. Gotta say I am digging it, a lot.

Anyone have any experience with the real thing? Is the AF2 model spot on, or close?

It's pretty dead on. The Herbie is nice and throaty while having this really nice spot in a mix. It's a great amp that can do a lot of different sounds.

I have a Herbert .. Amp is a monster. 180w 6 power tube. Has tons of versatility and midi options. It was my main rig before the Axefx . The one in the Axefx is pretty faithful to the original . Need to spend some more time with it. Been really hooked on the Marshall's lately. I know my back is thanking the Fractal team :)

I've always loved the Herbie although I gotta say more recent renditions, while likely more true to the real amp, are tougher to get "right" for me. Still, a stellar amp. Underrated.

I've always loved the Herbie although I gotta say more recent renditions, while likely more true to the real amp, are tougher to get "right" for me. Still, a stellar amp. Underrated.
I tried the Herbie one night while doing some demo tracks a while back FW 17 or maybe 18 (I cant quite recall) but wasn't right for the job then. I kept it in my mind as I really like it, a fluid kind of gain but clear, a little scooped while still having good sounding mids and being warm. On the next FW it changed and became more buzzy, on Quantum 2.0 I like it better, not quite as good as the earlier FW (17 or 18) but can still get some great tone out of it.

Anyone have any suggestions for the model? Settings, advanced tweaks? Whats a good drive pedal to use as a boost for it?

Its an amp that has been up and down for me through different firmwares. It was my main amp in 17 and it still has a really good tone but I can't get rid of that over raspy sound no matter what I try. Its like a buzzy sound maybe in the low end?

I have a Herbert. Sounds EPIC, it is super versatile, weighs a ton, will melt your face and ruin your back.

I found myself gravitating toward other models in the AxeFx for my metal tones though. The Herbie models never really worked for me, but perhaps I should revisit them now we are at Q2.0.

Its an amp that has been up and down for me through different firmwares. It was my main amp in 17 and it still has a really good tone but I can't get rid of that over raspy sound no matter what I try. Its like a buzzy sound maybe in the low end?
I think that's my one real complaint is the "buzz" in the low end of the distortion. I think FW17 is what I liked best on that amp IIRC.

I think that's my one real complaint is the "buzz" in the low end of the distortion. I think FW17 is what I liked best on that amp IIRC.

What's your set up?

I use the Herbie 3 model in the AFX with the latest firmware and it sounds glorious.. however, I'm a Poweramp/Cab guy.

Anyone have any suggestions for the model? Settings, advanced tweaks? Whats a good drive pedal to use as a boost for it?

I don't use a boost in front of this amp.

IIRC, I had to adjust the DYN Depth and DYN Presence controls, I think I have them both at 3.

Also engaged the lo cut, increased depth (to like 2 I think) and increased the bright knob to 1 or 2 db.

I pretty much left the EQ and gain alone, I also increased the MV to 1 o clock. In real life this is a very powerful amp with like 6 power tubes so I imagine that you gotta crank it a bit to hit the sweet spot..

I might have to edit this later to give you my exact settings since I'm not home right now, but I get a very clear/crisp warm distortion tone with these settings.

Again, I don't use IR's so idk how this would work for you.

What's your set up?

I use the Herbie 3 model in the AFX with the latest firmware and it sounds glorious.. however, I'm a Poweramp/Cab guy.

I don't use a boost in front of this amp.

IIRC, I had to adjust the DYN Depth and DYN Presence controls, I think I have them both at 3.

Also engaged the lo cut, increased depth (to like 2 I think) and increased the bright knob to 1 or 2 db.

I pretty much left the EQ and gain alone, I also increased the MV to 1 o clock. In real life this is a very powerful amp with like 6 power tubes so I imagine that you gotta crank it a bit to hit the sweet spot..

I might have to edit this later to give you my exact settings since I'm not home right now, but I get a very clear/crisp warm distortion tone with these settings.

Again, I don't use IR's so idk how this would work for you.

Live I run amp/cab and direct to FOH. For recordings I just use IR's. I will say through amp/cab it sounds better, also the direct has been sounding better since I got the Mesa ST IR cab pack from Own Hammer.

I'm gonna try your settings the next time I can, unfortunately a recent unexpected event is going to keep me from experimenting for a while.

Back
Top Bottom