Hendrix Bold As Love Guitar Iso track

fender-dual-showman-guitar-amplifier-xl.jpg
Used to work in a used and vintage store in the 90's and there was a dual showman. Loved that amp and should have bought it.

Used to work in a used and vintage store in the 90's and there was a dual showman. Loved that amp and should have bought it.

I have a great Dual Showman head. Love it. I don't use it much. I track almost everything with a 63' Blonde Bassman 6G6. I have a great silverface 70's Twin, a great silverface Princeton reverb, the Dual Showman and the Bassman.

I cant post the link, but search on Youtube for "The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Bold As Love (Behind The Scenes)"

Which has Eddie Kramer, Mitch and Noel talking about how the track was put together. I believe this is from the DVD reissue of Axis

An astonishing outpouring of inventiveness and creativity from everyone involved, not just Hendrix.

Exactly. A real collaboration of lots of talented people go into making records like these.

It's starts with a musical genius like Jimi.

My first big epiphany as a mix engineer was when I went to a pro tracking session. I realized that the tracking was so great and the performances so great, the mixing was just taking it to the next level, not fixing problems, like I was doing with my tracks.

Reactions: MNG
I'm surprised no one mentioned "bright".
I don't find it particularly bright (and my hearing is still very good ;) ) or too much bass cut at all, but rather exactly right to sit in the mix. very well balanced if you'd ask me. eventhough a slightly different tone, EVH used to be far brighter on records...

I just listened in my studio... I think he had the Fuzz Face on.

It has that high end knarl when he digs in like a vintage Fuzz Face. Way more subtle than the Big Muff fuzz.

For those who want to a walk-through of the creation of Axis Bold As Love, take Hendrix' recording engineer's word for it, because he was there! Great video here of Eddie Kramer discussing the creation of Axis.

I cant post the link, but search on Youtube for "The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Bold As Love (Behind The Scenes)"

Which has Eddie Kramer, Mitch and Noel talking about how the track was put together. I believe this is from the DVD reissue of Axis

An astonishing outpouring of inventiveness and creativity from everyone involved, not just Hendrix.
See my post above :)

I have a great Dual Showman head. Love it. I don't use it much. I track almost everything with a 63' Blonde Bassman 6G6. I have a great silverface 70's Twin, a great silverface Princeton reverb, the Dual Showman and the Bassman.

It was literally $300, but I was a poor college kid...then again, back then we couldn't sell a 70's Les Paul or Strat for more than $1500....oh, to have those guitars now, when they sell for 3k+...

100 foot of curly cord also kills high end and makes the strat sound less ice pick in the forehead..
I was just matching that sound over the weekend trying to use the settings and information from #7026
but it sounds more fender and someone once told me If I wanted house burning down tone to get a great fuzz face and dual showman. I checked Wiki they mention Jimi owning an early Showman and later Dual Showman.

I have a 66 here thats stock original I was going to modify it putting the Phonic mod on it.
I am going to be shooting IR's this month so Ill shoot that one. Before I mod anything if I do at all..

I also have the Jbl D 130 speakers just no cab for those yet.
So cant shoot those till I locate a 2 15 cab.. Im sure they are done anyway by now so no matter but
I will do the amp and I measure it and draw the chart up and take voltages with a fresh quad in it..

My buddy who has helped me quite a bit with the D style amps says leave it alone..So Ill get some good Ir's of that amp and try TM ..

I need to do it anyway so Ill post up what I get from that...
I need some curly cord to cut some high end...

I think it might need to be red..

You can hear the sloppy playing but it's still genius.
I remember the Holy Shit moment in 1994 when I bought a random live tape of Jimis having only ever heard all along the watchtower (couldn't afford an actual album) and then little wing came on.
That was special. Like the first time I heard the opening to Metallicas Battery.
I don't think I'll ever experience that again and that makes me sad.

You know. TBH, Hendrix never turned my crank (much). There are like five absolutely killer tunes for me. I guess I am too young to get it. I mean it's good and all and I get why other people dug him and the historical context but not my deal... if I were listening without any context I'd be like "Hmm. Sorta Cool, wonder what else is on." and change the station.

I understand this is pure sacrilege to some.

Back
Top Bottom