Helping choosing which Axe FX model to go for

Pete38h

Hi guys, I've decided to join you all and buy an Axe FX, I'm decided on that. The part I'm struggling with is which model is best to go for as there are a few options:

Buy new from G66: Current price is about £2500 but would come new and with a warranty
Buy a mint second hand XL+: £1900
Buy a second hand II Mk1: £1500

I've heavily researched the differences between models and they should essentially be the same as far as I'm concerned. It's the age of the Axe II thats concerns me, do you guys think it is worth paying extra for a much newer model in terms of reliability, the extra features etc. I will not be able to see any of these in person before I purchase.

What would you guys do from an owners perspective?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

(Apologies if this is a common thread or is in the wrong place, I'm new ;) )

This late in the game i'd save money where you can. Go with the Mk1 or II. There has to be something new coming up.

That said, unless the new model (nothing has been announced, speculation at best) has something I cant live without, i'm sticking with my MK1, none of the updates to this point have made me want to upgrade.

This late in the game i'd save money where you can. Go with the Mk1 or II. There has to be something new coming up.

That said, unless the new model (nothing has been announced, speculation at best) has something I cant live without, i'm sticking with my MK1, none of the updates to this point have made me want to upgrade.

Agreed. Not budging from my Mark I unless there's some new ridiculous features that I can't live without, which is doubtful. Also, have you taken a look at the AX8? Depending on what type of user you are, it might be more convenient, not to mention cheaper.

I received my Axe Fx 2 mark 2 yesterday, pristine condition for 1600 dollars, pulled he plastic off the screen myself.

But then again, I was patient and searched and searched for the "Right" one at a good price point.

The point is, don't settle, be patient, think it through, this stuff isint cheap. I almost got an Ultra because I was fed up with false ads and overpriced gear.

I highly recommend Reverb.com, the guys over there are great and I got most of all of my gear from them (axe too)

Agreed. Not budging from my Mark I unless there's some new ridiculous features that I can't live without, which is doubtful. Also, have you taken a look at the AX8? Depending on what type of user you are, it might be more convenient, not to mention cheaper.

I totally understand this but I struggle imagine how they could create something thats so much better than the Axe II that I would want to quickly get rid of it and upgrade, in terms as the tone you can produce anyway. I'm a bedroom producer on the most part so if I can get tones I love and plenty of effects then I'm happy.

The AX8 is £1400 in the UK (from G66 anyway), I'd prefer to have a rack unit but otherwise are there any major differences in functionality?

There are a few Axe II Mk2s going for just over £1700 from G66 B-stock just to add into the mix, not sure if its worth the extra £300

Wish the prices were the same as the US over here :'(

I totally understand this but I struggle imagine how they could create something thats so much better than the Axe II that I would want to quickly get rid of it and upgrade, in terms as the tone you can produce anyway. I'm a bedroom producer on the most part so if I can get tones I love and plenty of effects then I'm happy.

The AX8 is £1400 in the UK (from G66 anyway), I'd prefer to have a rack unit but otherwise are there any major differences in functionality?

There are a few Axe II Mk2s going for just over £1700 from G66 B-stock just to add into the mix, not sure if its worth the extra £300

For your stated use, you should definitely get an AxeFx II! it is well worth the extra $ for your stated use. Even though they have the same FX and amps, you will be limited as to how many you can use at once and believe me, once you start digging into the possibilities, you won't like hitting the CPU limitations of the AX8.

I totally understand this but I struggle imagine how they could create something thats so much better than the Axe II that I would want to quickly get rid of it and upgrade'(

There will be a point of diminishing returns. I'm sure there have been things Cliff has not been able to crack yet, only way to back that up is the "epiphanies" along the way where he figures out how to do something he didn't know how to do earlier, increasing accuracy.

There are some big differences between the ax8 and the II, read up on those diff's to make a decision.

Since you're a bedroom producer like basically everyone else on here, yeah...go ahead and just get an Axe-FX II. And I don't think the Mark II would be worth the money if money is an object. All you're gaining is an Ethercon port for the MFC and possibly a quieter fan (which you can install in a Mark I anyway. Then again, Fractal's B-stocks are apparently very pristine to begin with so it would be closer to getting a brand new one. I got mine used off Craigslist and haven't once regretted it. A little bit of wear and tear but damn does it sound amazing.

If you have the money, get the XL +. The things you think now you probably won't need, you'll wish 'I should have bit the bullet then and picked up the big boy.' Like Ethercon, higher CPU usage, Cabs, etc. Even if you're a minimalist when it comes to a signal chain (as I am), I've found that I expanded my horizons quite a bit once I started tinkering. I'm a predominantly home player (I don't say bedroom...because I play LOUD), and I don't NEED the MFC (lots of cheaper and simpler options out there), but I have one anyway.

The tone is the same across them all. You can't lose there.

I, personally, don't like getting used. I prefer the warranty and safety that you get straight from the manufacturer. But these are personal decisions....

Welcome.

I have the MkII and it's fine, unless you need an ungodly number of cabs and faslink, the mkII is fine.

Number of user cab slots:

• Axe-Fx II Mark I and II: 100
  • Axe-Fx II XL and XL+: 1024
  • AX8: 512

Hell yeah! The AX8 can only do 1 amp, 1 reverb and generally runs quicker into CPU overload then the Axe FX. It's definitely not an Axe FX in floorboard version. It's more Axe FX lite. Now if you can live with that, fine, if not, then don't.

Yeah, welcome to Europe with its import duties. The tax man has to have his pound of flesh.

The way I see it, go for the II XL+ if you can. That way you will have the best version that will last you the longest. It can store more presets and will probably be able to receive firmware updates the longest. Do not listen too much to people who say get an older/cheaper version as something new will come up soon. Just look at the Axe FX II. First there was the Axe FX II mark I, then came the mark II, then the XL and finally the XL+. Imagine having upgraded from the Standard or Ultra to the mark I. Only to see that even better models would follow. I'd be pissed. Far better to have the final uber model of the Axe FX II, knowing that what you have will serve you well for the coming years, then sit back if (still a big if at this point) the Axe FX III ever comes out. Let all the early adopters ditch their Axe FX II's, maybe even pick up a cheap XL+ as a backup, and then wait a couple of years until Fractal finally releases the final uber version. Then you're set again for the next couple of years. Rinse and repeat in case of a Axe FX 4. Never be the early adopter, as a better final version is always beyond the horizon.

I received my Axe Fx 2 mark 2 yesterday, pristine condition for 1600 dollars, pulled he plastic off the screen myself.

But then again, I was patient and searched and searched for the "Right" one at a good price point.

The point is, don't settle, be patient, think it through, this stuff isint cheap. I almost got an Ultra because I was fed up with false ads and overpriced gear.

I highly recommend Reverb.com, the guys over there are great and I got most of all of my gear from them (axe too)

You got my Axe! I'm glad you like it dude! Also glad you got to enjoy the plastic pull =P

Might I add that the used Axe-Fx II MK2 (previous Matallica) from G66 have 1 year warranty.

Hi Pete,

Are you in the UK? I've got an Axe-FxII MKII I've been thinking of selling. I'm in SE London. If you're anywhere within reach I'm sure we could negotiate something better than G66.

Drop me a PM if you might be interested...

Ben

My big issue with buying used is the lack of a warranty. In most cases, you never know how much wear a used unit has seen, and if it breaks down a month after you receive it, what recourse do you have other than to ship it off for repairs at cost?

What Jason says is true. However, if you are near London you're welcome to come and check my MKII out... it's got the plastic over the front panel screen and everything.

You can buy a mint XL+ for 1900£?
Where's the link to it? :)

It *was* on Reverb until I snagged it, feel safer buying through them and PayPal.

So I decided to run the second hand gear gauntlet and go for the XL+, the majority vote it seems. If I have to spend a good amount of money to get the II Mk2 anyway, I may as well just go for the second hand XL+ for a little bit more and hope that the one I have bought was built to last forever (which I imagine it will be). If it arrives and breaks then I guess you'll be hearing from again pretty shortly...

Thanks all for the advice, really helpful! I look forward to being a proper member of the Fractal Audio community now, what an exciting time to be alive :yum:

It *was* on Reverb until I snagged it, feel safer buying through them and PayPal.

So I decided to run the second hand gear gauntlet and go for the XL+, the majority vote it seems. If I have to spend a good amount of money to get the II Mk2 anyway, I may as well just go for the second hand XL+ for a little bit more and hope that the one I have bought was built to last forever (which I imagine it will be). If it arrives and breaks then I guess you'll be hearing from again pretty shortly...

Thanks all for the advice, really helpful! I look forward to being a proper member of the Fractal Audio community now, what an exciting time to be alive :yum:

1900 is a good deal, congrats!

Back
Top Bottom