Help with the volume of the presets

I need help, I explain my problem.
Use the AXE FX 2 XL at home through monitors and live through PA, here everything is correct. I get a good sound from my presets.

My problem is in rehearsals with the band "amp in a room". I use a Laney LFR (flat response monitor 1x12) and I can't make it sound good.

I made two mistakes, one that had the axe set up in stereo. And the other that put the axe output to the maximum and the volume of the Laney LFR low. This has been corrected and improved a lot.

But to optimize it to the maximum I have configured all my presets so that they have about -10db via usb and in solos or some parts a little more, about 3db more.

Now my problem would be to configure the analog output of the axe to have an input signal in the Laney LFR near -10db. I don't know if this can be done with the axe as a sound card or an additional sound card is needed.

If I need an additional card I need something cheap, it's just to see which potentiometer 1 position gives me those -10db of output and with that I adjust the volume of the Laney for play with my band.

Thanks.

I’ve use the VU meters in the utility menu to adjust my levels at bedroom volume, and when I played with the band I’ve hardly had to touch anything. Works good

I don't understand this at all. I adjust the output on all of my presets so that the loudest ones are just under turning on the output clipping lights on the Axe, with all of the others set to relative levels compared to this. For output signal, I turn the appropriate output knob.

It's hard to tell what the issue is from OP. Is it clipping? What does "via usb" mean, or what does it have to do with the output signal? What would you do with a card????

Assuming that the issue is that the Laney is clipping because the signal into it is too hot, turn the output knob down on the Axe. QED.

If it's still too hot for the Laney, then use an inline PAD attenuator.

I try to explain it better. I´m from spain, and lenguage could be a problem. Sorry for my poor English.

So I have read the best way to optimize the sound to use the axe with a power cab FR is to adjust the output volumes to -10db (XLR output or umbalanced 1).

One thing is the output volumes in the AXE, with the famous clipping. So I adjusted them via usb by connecting the computer by usb. Using the axe as a sound card and using the signal they give. This is correct. All my presets are adjusted at similar volumen. Via usb or spedif the potentiometer 1 of the axe dont work.

The problem now is to adjust the XLR 1 or unbalanced 1 signal, so that it goes to -10db. This output is adjusted with potentiometer 1 of the axe. As I read it is about having this signal of -10db, to be able to correctly adjust the volume of the power cab. The recommendations are output of the axe over -10db and adjust the screen volume. In summary, low axe in output and power cab as high as possible within an acceptable volume.

I may be wrong but this is what I understood from Austin Buddy and other users regarding the volume optimization ax / power cab.

I think the only correct way to measure this is through an external sound card that measures the signal coming from the XLR1 or Umbalanced1.

I try to explain it better. I´m from spain, and lenguage could be a problem. Sorry for my poor English.

So I have read the best way to optimize the sound to use the axe with a power cab FR is to adjust the output volumes to -10db (XLR output or umbalanced 1).

One thing is the output volumes in the AXE, with the famous clipping. So I adjusted them via usb by connecting the computer by usb. Using the axe as a sound card and using the signal they give. This is correct. All my presets are adjusted at similar volumen. Via usb or spedif the potentiometer 1 of the axe dont work.

The problem now is to adjust the XLR 1 or unbalanced 1 signal, so that it goes to -10db. This output is adjusted with potentiometer 1 of the axe. As I read it is about having this signal of -10db, to be able to correctly adjust the volume of the power cab. The recommendations are output of the axe over -10db and adjust the screen volume. In summary, low axe in output and power cab as high as possible within an acceptable volume.

I may be wrong but this is what I understood from Austin Buddy and other users regarding the volume optimization ax / power cab.

I think the only correct way to measure this is through an external sound card that measures the signal coming from the XLR1 or Umbalanced1.
This is kinda unnecessary. Use the built in VU.

@migueledge, mate I thinK you're complicating things for yourself. Use the VU as @Colorado Axeman said. I actually thing it's @Chris's video (helped me big time, thanks Chris) Make sure your sound is around the 0 DB mark (not sure why you're so locked-in the -10DB thing?). Once this is done check again at rehearsal. I have my Axe-2 Vol at just under 50% the rest of the Vol comes form my ext SS amp driving a 2x12 FRFR cab. In your case the Laney LFR (powered right?). Check each sound/Vol and go from there. It took me a few rehearsals the level out the volumes.

I think that you're over-thinking this...a lot. Twist the knob for whichever output you're using until the Laney gets enough signal but doesn't clip. Then stop.

I'd be shocked if it took more than 10 seconds to get the optimal sound out of the Laney with this method.

I think what OP is trying to say is that the out 1 knob does not affect the VU meter which is true. @migueledge what you need to do is make your preset use the VU meter to make sure you don’t have output clipping. Put Out 1 knob at about noon and then adjust your speaker volume to taste and you shouldn’t have any problem. If you do it either means your band is too loud in the practice space or you need to boost certain frequencies.

@migueledge, mate I thinK you're complicating things for yourself. Use the VU as @Colorado Axeman said. I actually thing it's @Chris's video (helped me big time, thanks Chris) Make sure your sound is around the 0 DB mark (not sure why you're so locked-in the -10DB thing?). Once this is done check again at rehearsal. I have my Axe-2 Vol at just under 50% the rest of the Vol comes form my ext SS amp driving a 2x12 FRFR cab. In your case the Laney LFR (powered right?). Check each sound/Vol and go from there. It took me a few rehearsals the level out the volumes.

I'm with you here. I set the output of my Axe-Fx to about halfway.

Then I go into the return of my Katana 100. I adjust the master volume for the loudness I need.

It's kinda pretty simple.

Not sure what all the USB and soundcard talk is.

Here's a guy using an AX8 into the Laney. (Sounds great)

Back
Top Bottom