Help with the Rotary Block (Logic Users)

Phil M

Inspired
I have been nuts about the Rotary effect for nearly as long as I've been playing guitar (1991). I love Univibe too, but I'm talking about the effect popularized by The Beatles, Cream, Petty, etc. Since I've never had access to a real spinning speaker cab, the best tone I've personally gotten is the H&K Rotosphere I had 15-20 years ago.

I have recently discovered that the effect in Garageband is decent (I think it's on the "pedalboard" and is called the Spin Box). I have even more recently discovered that I REALLY like the Rotary plugin that comes with Logic. I am about halfway through my 90-day trial and discovered that there is just something about that plugin that just works for what my ears like to hear. I've just been using the stock setting and have played around with the Slow/Brake/Fast. Both speeds just sound "right" to me.

I think pretty much everything Fractal touches is gold but I'm not loving the Rotary block as much. It seems like the Fractal version with all it's parameters should be able to sound just like the Logic one. I guess placement has a big effect - when I record through Logic, the rotary sound would end up after my amp, IR and other effects. I've definitely tried placing it before the amp model, between the amp and cab, parallel to the cab, and after the cab.

Has anyone played with this and do you have some Rotary block settings to share?

Thanks.

I have been nuts about the Rotary effect for nearly as long as I've been playing guitar (1991). I love Univibe too, but I'm talking about the effect popularized by The Beatles, Cream, Petty, etc. Since I've never had access to a real spinning speaker cab, the best tone I've personally gotten is the H&K Rotosphere I had 15-20 years ago.

I have recently discovered that the effect in Garageband is decent (I think it's on the "pedalboard" and is called the Spin Box). I have even more recently discovered that I REALLY like the Rotary plugin that comes with Logic. I am about halfway through my 90-day trial and discovered that there is just something about that plugin that just works for what my ears like to hear. I've just been using the stock setting and have played around with the Slow/Brake/Fast. Both speeds just sound "right" to me.

I think pretty much everything Fractal touches is gold but I'm not loving the Rotary block as much. It seems like the Fractal version with all it's parameters should be able to sound just like the Logic one. I guess placement has a big effect - when I record through Logic, the rotary sound would end up after my amp, IR and other effects. I've definitely tried placing it before the amp model, between the amp and cab, parallel to the cab, and after the cab.

Has anyone played with this and do you have some Rotary block settings to share?

Thanks.
Similar list of influences here, also Peter Frampton, Joe Walsh/Eagles, Hendrix, Zep, etc., etc., etc.

Here's what I came up with. Sounds pretty good to me when placed directly after amp/cab in the chain....

Dialed-in-Leslie_20201018_110557.blk

HTH....

I have downloaded presets before but I can't seem to do anything with this .blk file.
You save the block to a directory on your computer and in FM3 Edit you recall that block file. Look on the left hand side where you would find the choosers to sort though different block types and whatnot. You recall the .blk and you have all the params set and you can save your preset thusly.

Back
Top Bottom