Help with Relays

Hi all,
I have a few questions about relays I’m hoping I can get answers to. I’ve searched threads and read the FX8 manual and still a bit confused to be honest. I have a JVM 215c running 4CM at the moment. Have the humbuster cables from fractal and I love this setup. I’m mostly a roll off the volume type player but lately I got curious about relays. So here goes….
1) I know I need a trs cable for this but is it trs on both ends?? Or trs to 1/4 in? I can’t find this info anywhere.
2) I’m almost embarrassed to ask this but…. Where do I plug the end that goes to amp? I know one end goes to relay jack in FM8 but where does it go on the amp end?? I was thinking the foot switch jack but I have a feeling this is wrong!
3) If I want to use both relay switches do I need a y splitter to 1/4 in or Y splitter to trs? I’m probably making this more confusing than it is but can’t seem to get my head around it at the moment! Any help would be great. Dale

Hi all,
I have a few questions about relays I’m hoping I can get answers to. I’ve searched threads and read the FX8 manual and still a bit confused to be honest. I have a JVM 215c running 4CM at the moment. Have the humbuster cables from fractal and I love this setup. I’m mostly a roll off the volume type player but lately I got curious about relays. So here goes….
1) I know I need a trs cable for this but is it trs on both ends?? Or trs to 1/4 in? I can’t find this info anywhere.
2) I’m almost embarrassed to ask this but…. Where do I plug the end that goes to amp? I know one end goes to relay jack in FM8 but where does it go on the amp end?? I was thinking the foot switch jack but I have a feeling this is wrong!
3) If I want to use both relay switches do I need a y splitter to 1/4 in or Y splitter to trs? I’m probably making this more confusing than it is but can’t seem to get my head around it at the moment! Any help would be great. Dale
Hi I use the relays on the fx8 to switch channels on my boogie amps, in my case I use a cable that is TRS at one end and a normal jack at the other end, I then plug this into the foot switch socket on my amp. This works on the MK3 Boogie as it has the foot switch jack on the front of the amp. On my MK 4 boogie I use the same cable, the jack socket for the foot switch is on the back, and I also have to set another rotary dial telling the amp I am using a external foot switch, this also works on the MK 5 Boogie. If you use a foot switch on the Marshall that has a normal size jack I can't see why this wouldn't work for you. On the FX 8 when setting up the relay you have to tell it to use either ring or tip. good luck

I use the relays with my Palmer Fat50, both ends TRS and I can switch the 4 channels, master volume and reverb. But the Palmer is quite different compared to the JVM as the Palmer has two footswitch inputs so I can use both relays of the FX8. But I wonder why you want to use the relays when you can control the JVM via midi. That should be the easiest way in your case.

I use the relays with my Palmer Fat50, both ends TRS and I can switch the 4 channels, master volume and reverb. But the Palmer is quite different compared to the JVM as the Palmer has two footswitch inputs so I can use both relays of the FX8. But I wonder why you want to use the relays when you can control the JVM via midi. That should be the easiest way in your case.
Yes I control my EVH 5150 that way but I didn’t know anything about relays so thought it might be the latest greatest thing?? Lol. Is it pretty much the same then cause I’m all good to go for using midi if relays are just the same.

Well, relays are not the latest thing. They are used with amps that can only be controlled via footswitches, but if an amp is midi capable I'd always go mdi. I guess with the JVM you can control much more via midi than with the relays or footswitches.

Back
Top Bottom