Help with Reamping and using an Aggregate device

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
Ive been trying to look up tutorials and videos on reamping but all I see is people using the axe 3 as the main audio interface. I cant seem to find any videos of people using it in conjunction with another interface.
Im currently trying to reamp within pro tools using both my axe 3 and a scarlett 6i6. I believe I have the aggregate device already set up although I'm very confused on the way all the pathways are being labeled. If I knew what each in and out was corresponding to I could label them differently so they would be a little less confusing.

Could anyone offer some help with routing and setting up my audio tracks so that I can record a wet and dry track and also ramp through the axe 3. While still allowing me to hear playback of my other tracks through my scarlet. I do have my powered FR speaker hooked into the axe 3 OUT 3 as well if that makes it easier for monitoring the wet guitar track during recording. I used to use SPDIF ins and outs but I was also wondering there is a way to accomplish this just through USB.

thanks.

Edit: I feel like I'm very close to getting this. I have audio track one set to (IN 2/OUT 1 Block Right IN 3 OUT 2 Block which allow me to hear the wet signal. Then I set up another audio track IN 4 Out 2 IN 5 IN 1 Instr Which brings through the dry signal. I really have no idea why I'm monitoring those two signals with these setting.
But then if I send the out of the DI track OUT to 7/8 and IN 7/8 on another track, set the USB 7/8 in the beginning of my preset chain, I hear only the dry track being sent sent over to the next track. Its not routing through the amp/cab.

this is where I'm stuck.

Last edited:
I have audio track one set to (IN 2/OUT 1 Block Right IN 3 OUT 2 Block which allow me to hear the wet signal. Then I set up another audio track IN 4 Out 2 IN 5 IN 1 Instr Which brings through the dry signal. I really have no idea why I'm monitoring those two signals with these setting.

From Page 19 of the manual (https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-3/Axe-Fx-III-Owners-Manual.pdf) USB IN 2 on the Axe is mapped to Output 1 block. And USB in 3 is mapped to Out 2 block. You may or may not have "Copy OUT1 to OUT2" enabled in the global settings meaning both OUT1 and OUT2 are outputting the same signal. You do seem to have the Right channel of Out1 combined with the left channel of Out2 though, instead of just using either usb1+2 or usb3+4.

And USB5+6 maps to your in1/Instrument input DI which also makes sense.

If you tell your daw to send the DI signal to USB OUT 5+6 that'll map to your IN1 block and you won't even have to modify your preset to re-amp. As for why your USB mapping aren't working currently, you might have the IN and OUT backwards. OUT7/8 from the computer goes to USB7/8 input block on the Axe, because it's outputting from the computer over USB and going into the INPUT of the axe. And the USB7/8 input maps to the input2/3/4 on the axe, so probably not what you're looking for at all.

1586872577043.png

Thanks. you're explanation helped a ton. I have it working.
The way the ins and outs were labeled in pro tools was so confusing. that's what was holding me up.

Is there any benefit of using the usb route vs spdif? I used to use spdif in the past but this seems much simpler. two less cables to run.

There's another thread about why people are using SPDIF which is probably still on the front page. But the jist of it is that it frees up some of your inputs on your interface. However, it sounds like you're doing something where your axe is still connected and sending data over USB beside your interface, rather than plugging the axe ins and out to your interface ins and outs, so you maybe just solved the same problem at a driver level instead of at a cabling level.

Thanks. you're explanation helped a ton. I have it working.
The way the ins and outs were labeled in pro tools was so confusing. that's what was holding me up.

Is there any benefit of using the usb route vs spdif? I used to use spdif in the past but this seems much simpler. two less cables to run.

I think you meant to ask "Is there any benefit of using the spdif route vs usb?"

It's generally best to use USB when you record since you get a dry DI output that you can use for reamping. Also, since it goes directly to your computer, you avoid the complication of a device in between. If you have other inputs, then use an aggregate device to merge them into a single virtual device. I recommend using an analog mixer for monitoring, instead of relying on an audio interface for that purpose.

SPDIF can be handy when you're in a live environment that doesn't involve a computer, but you still want to use a digital output. SPDIF can also be handy in certain complicated recording setups. For example, if you need realtime sample rate conversion, but your DAW isn't capable of doing that. You can get an audio interface to do the job for you, but that's a compromise that is best avoided if you can.

Back
Top Bottom