Help with really weird sound on Logic recordings

JoeyBTL

Inspired
Hey guys. So I haven't tried to record anything in Logic via my axe in a while but I usually have it open so I can hit record when I come up with an idea. Yesterday I recorded something really quick and got this super weird intermittent sound. It has never happened before but now it happens at the like the same intervals, everytime. I was using a Logic file I've had open for a while now, I've tried different cables to the front of the axe and also a different usb cable from Axe to computer, I tried opening a different Logic file and it also only doing it going to the computer. Out to a monitor is fine. Also my computer is not being overloaded or anything. The cpu monitor in logic is barely moving when I record. So I'm hoping someone else has experienced this or recognize what it could be because its obviously very annoying. It happens when I'm playing any guitar through it but the recording is just me holding my thumb on the end of the cable so its easier to hear.

Its an Axe Fx II mark 1 going to an imac with Logic X.

Thanks for any help you may have for me!

You probably have to make the Axe-FX's clock the master clock.
Not sure where you do this in MacOSX though.

On my system, using an RME Babyface audio interface for output (using the Axe for input) and connecting via S/PIDIF, it's inside one of the RME support apps for the Babyface.

If you're using the Axe-FX as your audio interface for both in and out, then I'm not sure where to select this.
It looks like you may be able to set the master clock within the Apple Audio MIDI Setup app.
But what I think happens in there is that if you have the Axe selected for both Input and Output, with no other interfaces involved - say within an Aggregate Device, it automatically makes tha Axe the clock source, because there is no filp menu that appears for selecting the Master Clock.
But within an Aggregate Device, with more than 1 audio interface involved, that flip menu dopes appear.

Also make sure that your Logic Projects are all set to 48k.
In Logic go to File > Project Settings > Audio > Sample Rate.

You probably have to make the Axe-FX's clock the master clock.

I thought it sounded like interference as well but literally nothing has changed in the setup around my computer or house in general so I didn't know where to start.

Also, I only have my axe connected via usb. I don't use it as the output for my computer, so I'm not sure if that just makes everything you suggested n/a. I can certainly check into that stuff though. I appreciate it.

It's just all so weird because I haven't so much as updated my computer and it all of the sudden started happening so I don't know how any previous settings could have gotten changed.

In Audio Midi Setup, the flip menu to choose the clock source only appears if you have two potential interfaces active within an Aggregate Device.
It sounds from your last post that you're using the Axe as your Input and the Mac as your output.
I.e. You're not using another audio interface like I am with the Babyface?

If so, then try creating an Aggregate Device in Audio Midi Setup and set the axe as the clock source.
Then when you launch Logic you can go into Preferences > Audio and select the Aggregate Device as your I/O source for Logic.

Your issue may stem from something else, but try this stuff anyway.

Back
Top Bottom